Anyone - help needed with paint color name and code - 1954 Starliner Green

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone - help needed with paint color name and code - 1954 Starliner Green

I posted the same picture of the Starliner last week. It has one scratch that happened during shipping that I want to touch up.

Can anyone help identify the paint color of the lower part of the car? Is it Azore Green? Although the car has been repainted at some point, I'm assuming that this is the original color for the car.

Also, any idea what to tell the auto paint supply shop for a paint mix formula? I gave them the Ditzler code for Azore Green, but they could not find it or anything for this car in their computer data base.

Last edited by northern; 12-05-2013, 02:28 PM.

The body color is Cascade Green, Ditzler # DQE 41727-DAL and the top coler is Sheridan Green, Ditzler # DQE 41728-DAL. Hope that helps.

Comment

The 1954 colors should be Lance Green over Azore Green. You can find modern formulas for both colors at this site under the heading 'Technical Pages', and then 'Paint Formula Page':
      This website is for sale! raylinrestoration.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, raylinrestoration.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!
      Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

I would not have them mix up the color from a formula. It is sure to be off relative to the actual paint on the car.

Go to a major paint supply store and have them use their spectrophotometer to identify electronically EXACTLY the color that is on the car. They can then mix that specific color.
        Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
          I would not have them mix up the color from a formula. It is sure to be off relative to the actual paint on the car.

Go to a major paint supply store and have them use their spectrophotometer to identify electronically EXACTLY the color that is on the car. They can then mix that specific color.
          ON a faded re-paint, for touch up only, this is the only way to get it close or correct, it will still need "Blending" if you do not want it to show at all.

However for another complete re-paint, the only way to get the Correct original Color is to scan the Door edge or inside trunk lid original Paint, since this Car was re-painted. That is IF there actually IS any Original Paint there. It may take removing a Door Panel to get it right.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I think you'd be hard pressed to attempt a BLEND in a case like that and think it won't show,it'll show !
            Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            ON a faded re-paint, for touch up only, this is the only way to get it close or correct, it will still need "Blending" if you do not want it to show at all.

However for another complete re-paint, the only way to get the Correct original Color is to scan the Door edge or inside trunk lid original Paint, since this Car was re-painted. That is IF there actually IS any Original Paint there. It may take removing a Door Panel to get it right.
            Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Thanks for the ideas. Overall, the paint on the car is good, so I won't do a complete repaint. It certainly will be a challenge to blend the touch up in well, but it is worth a try. I may end up taking it to a professional if my effort does not work out well.

Comment

I don't think you really want a car that has been messed with like that and doesn't match. Just give it to me instead, and save yourself all that work.

(Great looking car as-is, and I don't normally care for green!)
                Corley

Comment

Originally posted by Corley View Post
                  I don't think you really want a car that has been messed with like that and doesn't match. Just give it to me instead, and save yourself all that work.

(Great looking car as-is, and I don't normally care for green!)
                  Ha Ha! Normally green isn't my favorite either. But, at least in my opinion, these two shades of green work well together, and I really like the effect. The green tint in the windows adds to the effect. They did use interesting colors back in the '50s.
                  Last edited by northern; 12-06-2013, 11:23 AM.

Comment

I will second Dwain's input of Lance Green over Azore Green.
                    Since the car is modified and repainted (and aged), just take it to someone experienced in color matching (with the proper equipment).
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                    X