Help!! SOS!! etc...need a t86 countershaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!! SOS!! etc...need a t86 countershaft

Hi ya'll. Got my t-86 looked at by a good friiend and co-worker who is VERY good with manual transmissions. I had a noise in 1st, so he said he'd look at it. I need a countershaft in the worst way, my buddy is surprised she was running. My trans is a T86 with o/d, tag t86e-1t.
    Any ideas, leads, etc appreciated. If anybody knows of a good complete unit for sale let me know on that too...I'm looking locally, but I just want to get a jump on this.
    Thanks!!
    Cash Hargett

Listed in the catalog as available from Studebaker International...

Comment

I don't have the catalog here, but I'll check when I get home..Thanks!!

Comment

I may have one out of a 58 Scotsman truck but it wasn't OD The Trans was apart when i got it but the gears looked good. I'm replacing it with a 51 OD Trans.
        101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

A countershaft does not have any gears, it's just a straight shaft. The countershaft is what the cluster gear rides on.

So, which is required, the countershaft, the cluster gear...or both?

And...what exactly is the application? There is more than just one of both of these parts.
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          I spent 35 years in the partsbiz, it's the same old sad story. Some people ask questions without listing a shred of evidence of what the hell they're working on...must think the responders will be mind readers.

An abbreviated versions of the partsmans lament:

I work behind the counter of an automotive parts store. Sometimes I'm called a genius, sometimes I'm called much more.

I'm supposed to know the part numbers of bolts, nuts and gears, for every car that was ever made for more than 60 years.

I claim I'm no mechanic, but when the job gets sick, the mechanic comes and asks me what makes the darn thing tick.

But life would be a pleasure and I'd grin from ear to ear...if the customer would only tell me the MAKE, MODEL and YEAR!
          Last edited by WinM1895; 12-05-2013, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Got a T86 out of a 62 lark V8, NO OD in South Bend.

Comment

"But life would be a pleasure and I'd grin from ear to ear...if the customer would only tell me the MAKE, MODEL and YEAR!" Ain't that the truth!!!!
              1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

.....you mention that your tranny was noisy in 1st gear.....could you describe that noise.... I ask because I've got a bit of a rumble when I stay in 1st gear for 20ft or so from engine braking.....its almost a growl..

Comment

I had a rollover "tick" for quite awhile , maybe a year or so, then the trans started to tick HARD in first gear. No other gears, just first.
                  Thanks everybody who replied..I found a place in Ohio that had what I needed, plus a comple seal and bearing kit. Northwest Transmission parts. I gave the counterman my casting number and application, he called back about 45 minutes later with a quote and shipping estimate. They do all makes, auto and standard, and go back as far as 1933 for standards, 1940 for autos.
                  Cash

Comment

Working...
                  X