Oh no!!!...constipation car!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh no!!!...constipation car!!!!

Whether you call it that, or not, we've all seen them. You know...it's that blasted car that gets in the fast lane, pulls along another car, matches it's speed, and proceeds to travel for miles...oblivious to all the traffic piling up behind. It happened to me today. This time, it was a PT Cruiser. I tried to remain patient and calm. However, as the miles wore on, I began to have evil thoughts...like, when and if I ever get home...to take that neat dealer showroom promotional die-cast PT Cruiser I have in my display case...and pound it to bits with a hammer!

Finally, when I do get by, I look over and the driver is some young chick bundled up like an Eskimo and a blasted phone in her ear! That poor car looked as beat up in the front as it did in the rear. This time...it happened to be a PT Cruiser...but, it could be any car. Recently, I have encountered a number of Constipation cars...two smart cars, several Prius cars, and now...a PT Cruiser. Some cars seem more prone to become the traffic blocker than others...which ones have you encountered?
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Well I advise against driving on any highway in New Jersey then. This is common practice here, by mostly (sorry no offense) Pennsylvania drivers. It makes me insane, the next three days I have to drive 1 1/2 hours each way on five different highways for work. Luckily my normal work commute is only 6 miles.

Comment

I call such people the Driving Dead.

Comment

It has only been a Prius that portrays the 'constipation routine' with me!!!
        1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

In the past, flashing the hi-beams would be the signal for them to move over. But that does not work anymore! Here in FL, it is against the law (as of this year) to "hog" the "passing lane", but if the police/troopers just pass them on the right, will they ever learn?

Comment

I find this most often with one semi trying to pass another, going maybe 0.1 mph faster. Takes miles.
            Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
            50 Champion 2 door*
            53 Commander K Auto*
            53 Commander K overdrive*
            55 President Speedster
            62 GT 4Speed*
            63 Avanti R1*
            64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Although it's illegal to be on the cell phone while driving but the exception is calling 911, which in California is handled by the CHP. The motor vehicle code here has 2 sections in regards to speed. One states you cannot exceed the posted limit, but the second directly following it states that a vehicle cannot hamper the progress or interfere with the flow of traffic. It's this second part that your nemesis PT Cruiser comes under & her being on the phone gives an officer a double-header! These people seem to be the ones that I call "Lane Hogs" that upon coming to a stop for a traffic light, stay back 20 feet or more, especially if they are blocking a turn lane entry! UGH!!!!

A relative of the "Lane Hog" is the parking hog. If the curb is not marked for parking spaces these ones leave an excessive gap both in front & behind their car. I see these people daily when I have to pick up my grandson from school. If they didn't all arrive around the same time it would be understandable to a degree, but not these ones. Just totally brain dead! I guess it's a result of our society becoming more & more self centered & thinking of others is unknown.
              59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
              60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
              61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
              62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
              62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
              62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
              63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
              63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
              64 Zip Van
              66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
              66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Is there where the 142 dB horn sets could be very useful...? On the other hand, I have seen these "driving dead" happily chatting on their phones at 10-15 mph under the speed limit while an 18-wheeler is 6 inches from their rear bumper. What, me pull over?
                Gary Ash
                Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
                ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
                '48 M5
                '65 Wagonaire Commander
                '63 Wagonaire Standard
                web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Must not be just me with this on their mind lately. Tonight, on the local evening news, there was a report of proposed new legislation in our state regarding the matter. It would make it illegal to be in the "fast lane" if you are moving five miles per hour under the speed limit. Also, illegal to be using any phone or hand held device while in the "fast lane."

One question I have is how they will handle multiple lane highways where you can make left turns across traffic? At some point...you'll have to slow to enter the crossing to make your turn. Some of these roads do not have a left turn "turn-out" that will allow you to slow as you would with a "turn approach lane."

Pardon my "Constipation Car" designation...but yesterday, I was still too mad about my encounter to be delicate about it.
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Rant warning!

I saw a news report yesterday that 75% of Americans don't trust other drivers. Is it any wonder? The other day I was on a two lane highway when a big Ford SUV started to drift across the center line straight for me. I braked. She swerved back into her lane. And, sure enough, when she passed me she had her stupid phone glued to her ear. I used to enjoy driving. Not anymore. It's not only getting too dangerous out there to drive our precious Studebakers, it's getting too dangerous out there to drive. Period. I blame, in part, the technology in modern cars. It makes it too easy to do everything other than what you're supposed to do which is drive. And now cars brake automatically if the car ahead of you brakes suddenly. We have back up warning chimes if a child rides his Big Wheel behind your car and you don't see him. Cars now parallel park themselves. Don't get me wrong. These safety features are largely wonderful. My dad's life was saved by a 3 point seat belt in the early 90s. My point is that there are unintended consequences to these improvements. Namely, some drivers' already sketchy driving skills deteriorate even further. People become worse drivers because the technology will save them from themselves. And what happens when the technology we all have become so dependent upon fails us? When I drive the '50 I'm much more aware of what's going on around me than when I'm in my modern iron. The '50 I drive. The '11 I point and go.
                    My two cents.

Comment

don't forget that some of the "Prius" owner types (you know what i mean), are "protecting" you from your urge to drive recklessly by whatever exceeds the "safe speed" they have decided is appropriate.

remember, nowadays it takes a village (idiot) to show you what to do, since they know best.
                      Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Originally posted by southbend View Post
                        Don't get me wrong. These safety features are largely wonderful.
                        Wonderful as they are, these built-in safety devices were never intended to replace good defensive driving habits.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                          Wonderful as they are, these built-in safety devices were never intended to replace good defensive driving habits.

Craig
                          I couldn't agree with you more. I work with these cars every day that can basically drive themselves. They can follow the car in front at 75 mph, stay in the lane, slow down and even make a turn all on their own. IMHO, and I love technology, I think it just makes the driver lazy. As an example there was just a horrible train derailment in NY where the engineer "zoned out" and took a turn at over 80 mph in a 30 mph zone. The train had failsafes but I read it was only 6 seconds before derailment that an attempt to slow was made.

Comment

Originally posted by 53commander View Post
                            There was just a horrible train derailment in NY where the engineer "zoned out" and took a turn at over 80 mph in a 30 mph zone. The train had failsafes but I read it was only 6 seconds before derailment that an attempt to slow was made.
                            Yeah, according to the train's black boxes the throttle was cut and the brakes were applied just six seconds prior to derailment. By then it was too late.

In Europe they've equipped trains with computerized brake actuators and installed little transmitters on the tracks near curves. As the train approaches the curve the computer senses the signal from the transmitter telling it what the safe speed is for that corner. If the train is exceeding that speed the computer cuts the throttle, automatically applies the brakes and sounds an alarm to alert the engineer. At least that's what the editor of some rail magazine that was interviewed on television last night says. He opined that the derailment could have been prevented if U.S. railways had been using the same technology that's being used in Europe; but U.S. companies have been dragging their feet about adopting the technology because of the cost.

I'd assumed that they'd already been using such technology for years. Silly me!
                            Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
                            Kenmore, Washington
                            hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
                            '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
                            '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
                            '69 Pontiac Firebird
                            (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

Originally posted by hausdok View Post
                              Yeah, according to the train's black boxes the throttle was cut and the brakes were applied just six seconds prior to derailment. By then it was too late.
                              ......He opined that the derailment could have been prevented if U.S. railways had been using the same technology that's being used in Europe; but U.S. companies have been dragging their feet about adopting the technology because of the cost.

I'd assumed that they'd already been using such technology for years. Silly me!
                              Not to open a can of worms, Mike...but I wonder if the Union had any responsibility here. I know, especially the railroads, were notorious for "featherbedding" and resisting technology for fear of making union personnel less significant or obsolete. I know some of our forum members are union folks, and I don't mean to start a sniping fight. But we know there are examples of this through out industry.
                              John Clary
                              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
                              X