• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Louvers ???

From a Barret Jackson writeup on a Speedster----

"Apker noted that Speedsters 'have a horrible survival rate.'

'They rusted out,' he said, 'but this car is absolutely rust free.'

Apker explained that Studebaker built the car with very, very small louvers under the drip rails, but that those louvers were easy to clog.He knows, he said, because he drove a Speedster back when he was in college.

Decades later, he 'stumbled onto this car.' he said. 'This one has every one of its little louvers still intact.'"

"louvers" ?? What is he talking about ??

I suspect that he is talking about the small drain slits at the bottom of door skins. There may be others in other sheet metal panels. I don't think they are much different than other vehicles of the era. This is the first time I have heard them referred to as "louvers."

As I recall, as late as 1971 (Chevelle), 1972 (El Camino), a Ford LTD (forget the year), all had panels that had drains that would stop up and gather water. I'm sure there are others. On our Studebakers, a thin piece of metal like a dulled hacksaw blade or other similar tool can easily be used to keep the drains clear. It is something I do on a regular basis after learning that they are there, and the importance of keeping them open.
    Last edited by jclary; 12-02-2013, 05:20 PM.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Maybe he is referring to the "spring loaded" weatherstrip on the hardtops?

Comment

"I suspect that he is talking about the small drain slits at the door skins."

Perhaps, but... The bottoms of the doors and rear quarters, where these "louvers" might be, were not the primary areas of rust. Like most other Studes of the era, the rear edge of front fenders were the first offenders. These could be described as areas near the air intake "louvers" but certainly nowhere near anything describable as "drip rails."
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Some cars have slits in the rocker panels to allow water to seep out. Rocker panels are located below the doors.

I don't recall if Studebaker ever offered door skins. 'Door skin' refers to an outer sheet metal panel that was crimped onto the door shell, could be replaced by itself.
          Last edited by WinM1895; 12-02-2013, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WinM1895 View Post
            Some cars have slits in the rocker panels to allow water to seep out. Rocker panels are located below the doors.

AFAIK, no Studebaker had doors skins. 'Door skin' refers to an outer sheet metal panel that was crimped onto the door shell, could be replaced by itself.
            Sure they did, it's how the doors and even the trunk lids are made. An outer skin crimped over the inner shell. You can drill out the spot welds and uncrimp them.
            I just did this on a 63 GT Trunk lid TODAY!
            Bez Auto Alchemy
            573-318-8948
            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
              Sure they did, it's how the doors and even the trunk lids are made. An outer skin crimped over the inner shell. You can drill out the spot welds and uncrimp them.
              I just did this on a 63 GT Trunk lid TODAY!
              But, could you swing by a local Studebaker dealer and buy just a door skin? I don't see a part number listed for door skins and I don't recall ever selling any...for Studebakers.

You could buy just the door skins for FoMoCo passenger cars beginning in the mid 1960's, beginning 1968 for F series trucks, 1978 for Bronco's.
              Last edited by WinM1895; 12-02-2013, 06:27 PM.

Comment

I have door skins for I bought for my champ,pretty sure there are part numbers on them - and I passed on buying a skin for mid 50s K hardtops a few years ago.
                But, could you swing by a local Studebaker dealer and buy just a door skin? I don't see a part number listed for door skins and I don't recall ever selling any...for Studebakers.

You could buy just the door skins for FoMoCo passenger cars beginning in the mid 1960's, beginning 1968 for F series trucks, 1978 for Bronco's.
                Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

On GM cars of the 60-70's. I have removed rubber stopper strips from the under side of door areas wherst the drain slits are. On more than 1 occasion. Any body else noticed them? cheers jimmijim
                  sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Yep, if it looks like a louver, then it might be a louver.

Comment

On my 53 Caddy, the inside of the rockers had louvers. They worked well to keep the rocker ventilated.
                      Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

I don't recall if Studebaker ever offered door skins. 'Door skin' refers to an outer sheet metal panel that was crimped onto the door shell, could be replaced by itself.
                        I see door skins listed just after the door glass frame in section 2116-2-2 calling them outer repair panels.

Working on the 62 champ I noticed the inner rocker has a series of louvers directed towards the rear but based on the amount of dirt I've blown out they didn't do very much.
                        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                        64 Zip Van
                        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Yeah, they are drains, not louvers. Louvers travel in flocks, not alone, and are usually intended for ventilation, or intended to look like they are ventilating something, in the case of custom cars. A single louver is just a slot.
                          Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Working...
                          X