1964 Studebaker Wagons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1964 Studebaker Wagons

I was on my local craigslist and came across 2 64 studebaker wagons for 800 bucks (post says 1000 but i was texting the guy and he said 800). The gold one has rotted quarters, rotted rear frame, and the floorboards are shot. The black one is solid but i think the floorboards are also shot. The owner originally bought the black one then the gold one to use as a parts vehicle. Neither me or the owner know if either car turns over but we both will find out this weekend. He told me they havent been turned over in 15 years so that concerns me a bit lol. Do any of you think this is a good deal? Would you buy these? If we do end up buying these i think im going to put the gold one in a demo derby since the wheelbase is short enough to fit in the midsize class only if i put a v6 in it. All of you guys think im crazy for saying that im sure lol.

http://peoria.craigslist.org/cto/4134305953.html

Save the roof rack before you derby it!<G> Lots of good parts there.

Comment

Oh yeah for sure... id be keeping everything i can before it goes to the track.

Comment

Welcome to the Forum!

Before you put the gold one in a demo derby, it will need brakes. It doesn't even have a master cylinder.

Things to save, other than the roof rack, include headliners (be carefull removing them), power rear window motor and the V8s.

Studebakers used an inline six. What type of V6 would you envision putting in one?

My net is; Between parts and scrap, you will probably come out okay. For a demo derby car, find something else that is closer to being ready.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

If the seller's statement were true, which I HIGHLY doubt, one has a "Automatic Overdrive" that one would be an easy swap to any GM Engine Inline 6, V6 or small block V8.

That would mean that it has a GM THM 700-R4 or 200-4R Overdrive Auto. with an adapter to the Stude. V8 which you would sell and bolt up your GM Engine.

In a long parked, rusted out hulk like those, the chances of that are like slim to none or 1000 to 1.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Ah didnt even notice it didnt have the master cylinder! Ill be saving each and every part i can since id have another car to use the parts on. The derby rules state we can have a max of a 110 stock motor.

I know virtually nothing about studebakers so that is nice to know StudeRich. Ill ask the guy right now how he figures it has an auto overdrive tranny.

Comment

Now why would somebody come here as a new member, and as his first post say something as inflammatory to enthusiasts as putting one of their favorites in a demo derby... and the subject car being one of the flimsiest designs in the automotive world... and that's before the extensive rust... And a fairly hard to find style that's dwindling every day; and knowing that enthusiasts take offense to any of their favorites in a demo anyway?

You guys got sucked in by a bored kid trolling the forum. No adult would dream of demoing any Studebaker. Not worth the effort. They seek cars that have a chance.

have some fun with it, but I hope none of you took it seriously.
              Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
              Romans 15:13
              Deuteronomy 31:6
              Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Those two sure look like parts cars to me. Might be worth the $800 for the pair if you needed some of the parts badly. But if you bought them and parted them out, you would be a long time seeing a return on your investment, if ever. I do it all the time, myself. That is, buy parts cars without expecting to get rich doing so.

A '64 Studebaker six was rated at 112 horsepower, so you would be over the limit there. And if you put a smaller engine in it, it's not stock any more is it? It wouldn't bother me one minute to see one of these rusty hulks in a demo derby, but if the particular derby you plan to enter has certain rules, it's kind of pointless to try to put a square peg in a round hole.
                Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Previuos thread on the cars

Originally posted by guyina4x4
                  I've seen these cars, they are VERY rusty, floors are gone, couldn't really see frames, they were sitting outside in the weeds for more than 15 years, the fixed roof one is a parts car, some stuff missing off it, the sliding roof one is complete and ran when parked there, both engines are locked up, both are manuals, slider has O/D. there is not one good thing inside either car, the huge holes in the floors have let in every critter in the county for years. when I saw them he was asking $800 for the pair. he does have titles for them, supposedly

Comment

yes I've seen them, neither one could be road or demo worthy without a ton of work. they've been sitting outside for at least 15 years. they are both manuals one has overdrive. there is no automatic GM or otherwise.
                    Not studes right now

Comment

I am somebody who loves demo derbys and doesnt care what car i demo since im an enthusiast of it. So sorry if i offended anybody. I joined the forum to ask questions about these cars, not start fights. But if you think a stude is bad, ive seen somebody demo a hudson hornet. It makes me want to pass on the pair since now im hearing they are extremely rusty. Course im in illinois so i cant really blame that. Personally i really started liking the cars because of the price and gives me something to do.

Comment

In defense of the wagons, for future readers, and as a rebuttal to a prior thread on where this may have originated, these cars are not made for that sport, seriously. The gauge of metal that they used in the cars is the equivalency of tissue paper, which is why they rust through like they did. Coupled to the narrow track of those cars, they will not last long in something like that. That's what made the '79-'82 LTD's so popular around here. They'd remove the radiator and fan, and those big V8's like the 302 and 351's were able to go a few rounds before locking up. That's something else that they'd do around here, just so they didn't have anything leaking, spinning, or flying loose. All nonessential parts were removed, so when the Studebaker engine seizes, well, that's one less Studebaker engine in operation, and it was done purposefully. The manufacturer is long gone, and the engines cannot be ordered through Jegs when one breaks, so when both are gone, they're gone!

I'm not much thrilled on seeing a Hudson Hornet intentionally wrecked either, as we used to own a now, much more sparsely available Hudson Jet!
                        1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                        1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                        1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                        1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

I guess it would just be something fun to do since the rust is already pretty bad. I wouldnt of expected to get anything spectacular out of them either (speaking demo derby, not money). If i was to actually buy the pair id be putting in an engine i can actually find parts for

Comment

If you have the room to store them, buy them. Your cash, your decision.

Comment

I don't see anything but 2 parts cars. The gold one looks like it may have a '62 full flow engine,could be worth a few bucks.. If these cars have been sitting outside for as long as it looks,they could break in half when picked up!
                              If I were interested in them,I wouldn't be offering more than scrap price.
                              Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Working...
                              X