No announcement yet.

Steering column confusion....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Steering column confusion....

With 4 column shells none of which work, a now beautiful refinished wheel that doesn't fit the center shaft on the car, I'm at the frustration point of starting from scratch with a hot rod column and wheel or a brand "X" from Pull and Save.

I'm at the point of not trusting my eyes or even trusting that the shaft that came on the car won't put the driver in the back seat. I'm open to any thoughts from the experts or those who've been there done that on a column swap. For starters, I could use a reference distance from the firewall to steering wheel center or any other reference of length.... since the Speedster is a PS version where the PS Box is nearly against the firewall, distance to a manual box is irrelevant.

I recall someone mentioning a Grand Am column wheel at C Springs....

Yes, it would be an opportunity to swap to an Astro box but you have to stop somewhere and I really would like to eventually get the car on the road. I'm visualizing a collapsible column, chopping the current shaft near the PS box and connecting to a new column shaft with a "U" joint.

Thanks in advance to one of the smartest boards on the web.

I thought Speedsters already had power steering as standard equipment. If that's the case, the stock Saginaw power steering setup ALREADY has a flex coupling at the box.
    You just need to adapt a more standard size coupling, and the newer column. You will need to change the lower firewall to get rid of the large opening, and will need some sort of lower support. Then you will have to change all the wiring to use the turn signals on the new column. Shouldn't set you back much more than 1500 with a new wheel.

Or you could send me the column length, and I may have what you need for the postage .
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Bez..
      Only 151 Speedsters w/PS & Manual/OD.... but I've opted for floor shift. PS box has a 2 1/8"+ collar. Manual columns shells are 2" and much longer ... I could work around that with slice and stretch of one of the shells I have if the shaft fit the wheel and the top bearing in the shell?

I'm almost convinced this is the wrong shaft... the end of the shaft is about 6" to the rear of the front of the underseat heater core which would seem to put the bottom of the wheel near the back of the front seat! Besides, the fact that my wheel from a Manual '55 has a 1" approx diameter shaft hole and the shaft currently in the Speedster is 3/4" approx. Gut feel is that this shaft is out of a GM product that used the Saginaw box.

You can see from the Picture that the collar on the PS Box is nearly through the firewall! The reason I was asking length of shaft was to confirm wrong shaft or determine length I need to look for in a conversion to something else. At this time I don't have a clue how long the shaft should be.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20131128_194632.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	1686585Click image for larger version

Name:	20131128_194715.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	1686586
      Attached Files

Comment

The one I have is much shorter. I'll post pics tomorrow.

I also have a complete box, column and wheel out of a 63 GT if you wish to go that way.
        Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948

Comment

Thank you....

Comment

mmagic,----Have You come up with a floor shifter yet? Just wondering what type 3 spd. floor shifter You intend to use with Your T-86 O/D transmission? (I see where You've opened up the tunnel)

Comment

PO that screwed up the steering column cut the hole. I've mounted a Hurst Indy on the T-86 Just flipped around and used parts from the mount kit that came with it. Had to drill one new hole. Still need to trim some excess material on the tail. Since this T-86 is trash, I'll cut the excess material when I transfer it to the new one... May add some vertical triangulation although it seems to be strong enough as is because the diagonal from the right side rests on top of the casting.... I'll put a rubber pad between.

The one on the left is mine. The one on the right is one someone else on the Board did and I used it as a visual location guide. I have no idea if the hole is anywhere near it needs to be. The linkage is cozy and will need to be cut but I think I can avoid making bends.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20131122_120715.jpg
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	1686587 Click image for larger version

Name:	Dadsoics015-1.jpg
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	1686588

Comment

Bez... tell me more about the 63 GT !

Comment

I'm parting out a 63 GT Hawk, and I have the steering gearbox, column, and (steering) wheel already out. The power steering linkage was used on another project. I do have the manual pitman arm, and reach rod.
                  The column is setup for a automatic, so it needs a manual upper bell to get rid of the shifter arm.
                  Bez Auto Alchemy
                  573-318-8948

Comment

Originally posted by mmagic View Post
                    PO that screwed up the steering column cut the hole. I've mounted a Hurst Indy on the T-86 Just flipped around and used parts from the mount kit that came with it. Had to drill one new hole. Still need to trim some excess material on the tail. Since this T-86 is trash, I'll cut the excess material when I transfer it to the new one... May add some vertical triangulation although it seems to be strong enough as is because the diagonal from the right side rests on top of the casting.... I'll put a rubber pad between.

The one on the left is mine. The one on the right is one someone else on the Board did and I used it as a visual location guide. I have no idea if the hole is anywhere near it needs to be. The linkage is cozy and will need to be cut but I think I can avoid making bends.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30012[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]30013[/ATTACH]
                    Interesting! Thanks for posting the pictures.

Comment

SN-60, That "someone else" picture is the one in my 53. Bob Johnstone has it in the techs. Heres a inside shot. The boot is a Hurst old style super boot.

Comment

Working...
                      X