PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of 53 Roadsters… Here's one on ebay

sals54
11-26-2013, 10:13 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Studebaker-TWO-DOOR-1953-studebaker-kustom-built-over-200-k-spent-on-creating-this-car-/261340378420?forcerrptr=true&hash=item3cd919b534&item=261340378420&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

This is perhaps one of the worst ebay ads I've seen for such a prestigious car. There is not even a picture of it with the top down.
THis is perhaps the best shot of the car in the ad…
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm197/sals54/_57-1_zpsc4627297.jpg (http://s296.photobucket.com/user/sals54/media/_57-1_zpsc4627297.jpg.html)

sals54
11-26-2013, 10:27 PM
And its so sad cuz it took me ten seconds to find this pic on the web and post it here:
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm197/sals54/0302CRGOODGUYS06zoom_zpsa85d4a75.jpg (http://s296.photobucket.com/user/sals54/media/0302CRGOODGUYS06zoom_zpsa85d4a75.jpg.html)

63t-cab
11-26-2013, 10:46 PM
I like it very much,this is one Studebaker that really could be mis - took for a Porsche :rolleyes:

Pat Dilling
11-26-2013, 10:57 PM
Wow! Gorgeous!

woodysrods
11-26-2013, 11:15 PM
Very Very Nice!
I want to know much more about this car?
It was obviously built in a professional Street Rod shop.
Thanks for posting.
Good Roads
Brian

Jessie J.
11-26-2013, 11:18 PM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. To my eye several aspects of this vehicle just look weird and awkward .
Looks like they needed to narrow the front track to fit in those ridiculous donk wheels.
'Different strokes for different folks' as they say.
When one takes on restyling what is recognized as one the most beautiful automotive designs ever, the result is bound to be judged against the original. A few are improvements. I don't see this as one.

woodysrods
11-26-2013, 11:56 PM
I agree with Jessie on the wheels.
Other than the completely restyle interior, the general lines of this car have not be altered.
Things have just been smoothed out and the seams and gaps tightened up.
This car was obviously built from a C car.....and I love the rear view mirror treatment.
When I went to eBay I thought there were a lot of pictures, can't wait to go back to read the write up.
Good Roads
Brian

hausdok
11-27-2013, 03:06 AM
Hate the wheel wells. The tires and rims look way out of proportion and all of that room around the tires just bugs the heck out of me. Brian's CGI roadster is cleaner and doesn't look so gangsta.

clonelark
11-27-2013, 06:54 AM
He's not a real Studebaker guy cause he can't even Spell it in his ad.

Corley
11-27-2013, 09:29 AM
Am I wrong, or was about 1' taken from the length of this car? (behind the doors)

swvalcon
11-27-2013, 11:07 AM
Not a bad looking car but who did he have to have build it and what has to be under it to have $200 grand in a Studebaker? Any Studebaker. The shops labor rate must have been $200-300 per hr.and they sat around alot drinking beer and shooting the bull on the clock. But is a nice looking car just not $200 grand nice. If I could get that much to build one I would be all over it tomorrow.

allstateguy
11-27-2013, 11:32 AM
wasn't that a Boyd Coddington build? The Studester script above the seats looks car magazine familiar

gordr
11-27-2013, 11:34 AM
Agreed on the wheel wells. Those donk wheels are butt ugly. Looks like the builder did lower the base of the windshield into the cowl, though. And I think the door/A-pillar transition could have been done better, to eliminate that spine on the front edge of the door. Also agree on a very poor ebay presentation.

sals54
11-27-2013, 12:20 PM
wasn't that a Boyd Coddington build? The Studester script above the seats looks car magazine familiar

I thought you were right. I also thought Boyd built it, but as it turns out, It appears that it won a Coddington Award. Here's the guy who built it:
Custom-car builder Jimmy Varacalli of McKeesport, Pa

Jessie J.
11-27-2013, 12:54 PM
I prefer sal's54 ! :D

t walgamuth
11-27-2013, 01:53 PM
It is a most impressive build. I agree on the wheels but other than that the only bone I would pick is it appears to have a solid rear axle. If I went to all that trouble I'd do a proper fully independent rear on it.

I'd also say it has been cut down more than a foot. I think the door is shorter too.

I'd love to see it in person.

WilburV
11-27-2013, 02:18 PM
Here's the description I found of the exterior modifications and drivetrain. I agree with others that it's hard to argue with the build quality of the car, but that the proportions look are way off.

The exterior modifications include: body shortened 20", Porsche 944 windshield, quarter panel raised 1.5", Frenched-in taillights and headlights, rear bumper sectioned and custom built into quarter panel, trunk lid shaved and flattened out, custom built rear deck panel, doors cut and rounded with built in side view mirrors, front fenders extended and vents filled in, custom grill with LED parking lights, front bumper sectioned and shaved, lower valance panel extended out to meet bumper, custom exhaust tip built into rear bumper and custom 20"and 18" Billet Specialties wheels. The drivetrain: 523cid big block Ford with 9:1 compression ratio that runs on pump gas, Cobra Jet aluminum heads and intake manifold all smoothed, custom made headers, 3" exhaust , alternator custom built into water pump, distributor-less ignition, custom made air cleaner vented into the cowl, custom radiator cover and hoses. The transmission is a Ford C-6. 9" Ford rear end housing with 3.50 gears and posi-traction. The suspension: Air Ride suspension, Morrison control arms with stainless spindles, 4-wheel Wilwood disc brakes and 4-link rear suspension

GThawkwind
11-27-2013, 02:36 PM
If I had the money to buy this car, I'd likely have the money to perfect it to my taste. The wheels would leave asap for some say 17 or16 inch real wire wheels, the dash would be replaced with a full custom loosely based on an early corvette unit. The paint in the looked to have some strange stripes but in sals photo looked perfect for the car. And am I the only one who hates the way those engines look? Now this assumes I have tons of cash, I would have the most impressive studebaker straight six money could create built for it, preferably connected to a six speed manual trans.

swvalcon
11-27-2013, 02:59 PM
WilburV. His e-bay add says 502 so I would say its a big block overthecounter chev. Plus no front dist. so kind of rules out big block ford. Although front of engine looks more ford that chev.

studegary
11-27-2013, 03:18 PM
$200K and you don't even get side windows! Not for me, as much as I like 1953s.

Jessie J.
11-27-2013, 04:41 PM
With $200K, I could own a dozen-plus desirable real Studebaker's. This thing wouldn't interest me even at $20K.
At $5K maybe for the drivetrain, and those wheels I could sell to the kid down the road to use on his '78 Impala 4 dr.

Not trying to bash it, but as built it holds no appeal at all to me.

WinM1895
11-27-2013, 05:48 PM
WilburV. His e-bay add says 502 so I would say its a big block overthecounter chev. Plus no front dist. so kind of rules out big block ford. Although front of engine looks more ford that chev.
How many Chevy V8's came with 7 valve cover bolts per side? I dunno, but Ford 429/460's did.

junior
11-27-2013, 07:00 PM
This car was so awesome when it first came on the scene...but as time marches on, it has lost some of it's appeal, and in some respects has dated itself...which is usually a probem when one is constructed to be an 'ultra modern cool build'. Sooner or later ultra modern is no longer modern...too bad, just the way it goes. Build something 'classic', and it remains that way for a loooooong time. That black CGI Stude roadster is classic, look at it 20 years down the road and it will still be classic. ps, that Ford motor is as stated, it's a Ford. Cheers, Junior.

GThawkwind
11-27-2013, 08:03 PM
Man I've seen those super modern ultra clean engine/engine bays in modern hot rods many times and I all can think is how cheap and fake it looks. It look like something you'd see on discount model car you got for your kids. I like the rest although its not my style. But that engine bay spoils it for me, If your not gonna go with something vintage or unique, I'd rather see an honest not trying to be something it isn't LS1 or other SBC.

Corvanti
11-27-2013, 09:37 PM
i agree with you Daniel!:) i watched a DVR'd Powerblock show from the weekend - i don't remember which one - but basically did the same thing to a '69 (i think) Cutlass inner fenders. while it's apparently going to be a "cool" resto-mod, i just don't see the benefit, especially cost-wise to farm it out to one that has all the tools to make it "easy".

i reckon "deep pockets" help...;)

johnod
11-28-2013, 12:07 AM
I never liked that car, just doesn't work for me.

Andy R.
11-28-2013, 12:28 AM
Beautiful craftsmanship.
Common mistake - Tail aft the rear wheels is too long with respect to the rest of the shortened car.
Unless it has wheelie bars under there, the tail needs tightening with the shorter wheelbase.

StudeMichael
11-28-2013, 06:52 PM
I agree with those that think this car is ugly and a waste of a decent Studebaker. It was ok for Raymond Loewy to never leave well enough alone but not some idiot with a cutting wheel.

rodnutrandy
11-28-2013, 07:34 PM
I was in shock when a man on Tv paid $125,000 to get his Studebaker truck reworked and picked it up with no paint on it after giving the $125,000 to rebuild it! So if someone went to him and wanted paint, I could see where $200,000 could be spent. Some have more money than sense !

Jessie J.
11-28-2013, 08:35 PM
....and that's the way its always been.

parts
11-29-2013, 12:10 AM
I was in shock when a man on Tv paid $125,000 to get his Studebaker truck reworked and picked it up with no paint on it after giving the $125,000 to rebuild it! So if someone went to him and wanted paint, I could see where $200,000 could be spent. Some have more money than sense !

I saw that program too.. I really never comment on others choices..however the money spent on that truck and the final result was quite unusual to me.. The result looks like cars and trucks I've seen here done down here for a fraction of the cost..and have nice paint..