Clear All

• date this Studebaker

Can any one date this Studebaker?

Click image for larger version

Name:	old stude.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	1741267

If it never had rubber wheels, I think it would be pre-1900. Also the style of the seat is very boxy compared to anything I've seen in Studebaker advertising from at least the 1890s on. On the other hand the front fork and all that equipment is practically identical to what was used up into the 1910s. So in the end, it's hard to tell exactly. The seat has me most stumped. It may not be original.
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

You're good Scott. Anyone else want to chime in? This is our favorite car's heritage!

Comment

2015 Fuel Free Hybrid
        sals54

Comment

fuel free? i think not given the 1 horsepower - and sitting behind the exhaust!

"Studeclunker" should know exactly what it is...
          Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

I would say post 1851

Comment

First are you sure it is a Studebaker?? If so why. Studebaker made its first buggy in 1857 and last in 1919. If that is a Studebaker it would be somewhere in between. I think I have been asked at least a hundred times to date Studebaker horse drawn vehicles. The idea of model years is so ingrained into our consciousness we have a hard time comprehending that in those days no one gave a whit what year it was built! Years and even decades passed with no changes in design. If there was a change it might be made at any time of the year. THERE WERE NO MODEL YEARS FOR HORSE DRAWN VEHICLES!
              Richard Quinn
              Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Its a bit of a ruse because I know the answer to the question. It's in a museum so I know it's a Studebaker. I just love knowing that 50% of the wagons that came across to the west were Studebakers. Where this hack fits in?

Comment

With some front fenders it would rival my Prowler appearance-wise.

Comment

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Pancho View Post
                      Its a bit of a ruse because I know the answer to the question. It's in a museum so I know it's a Studebaker. I just love knowing that 50% of the wagons that came across to the west were Studebakers. Where this hack fits in?
                      Just curious as to why you think the museum knows what year it is?
                      Richard Quinn
                      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

1872 jimmijim
                        sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Originally posted by jimmijim8 View Post
                          1872 jimmijim
                          It's not a jimmijim. OP already said it's a Studebaker.

Jimmijims are the rarest of them all. Limited production due to being problematic.
                          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                          Romans 15:13
                          Deuteronomy 31:6
                          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Personally, I love these preserved rolling works of art. However, I am far from an expert on them. I know that, in many ways, they are hard to preserve. Keep them exposed to dampness and weather, they are attacked by mold, rot, and decay. Termites love the wood. Paper wasp pick away at exposed wood grain and, over the years, nibble away the wood to turn into nest. Carpenter bees bore holes and weaken the planks. Iron oxide rusts away the hardware. Keep them too dry, and the wood shrinks, warps, and becomes brittle.

As far as identifying, I may be wrong (and usually someone will correct me) but, somewhere along the way, I was told that, early on, Studebaker put their name on all their vehicles. It is my understanding, that there were either logos, model numbers, or some type of identification either stenciled or burned (branded) somewhere along the chassis on all wagons, carriages, and buggies. If I recall correctly, the Studebaker doctors buggy displayed in David Walker's Restaurant has a factor metal ID tag on the undercarriage. Of course, these things were mostly wood. Even those that have survived could have had most wooden components copied, repaired or replaced in the past hundred plus years.

Click image for larger version

Name:	faded wagon logo.jpg
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	1684854 Click image for larger version

Name:	studebaker wagons.jpg
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	1684855

I have seen several Studebaker wagons and seen the factory markings on some. I have found others that still had (although faded) the factory paint and logo on the side planks and not been able to find the markings underneath. I was once offered a wagon that was claimed to be a Studebaker several years ago. The wheels certainly had the Studebaker style oval and canted spokes. However, I could not locate any factory identification, and walked away.
                            John Clary
                            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Sorry, not interested in a date. Not my type.

Comment

Working...
                              X