1964 or 1965?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1964 or 1965?

The following story is about a 1965 Studebaker.
    I did not know that a two door hardtop was offered in 1965.
    Comments , please.
    Robert Kapteyn

Looks like a regular 1965 Daytona Sports Sedan to me. I didn't see any mention of it being a hardtop.

Chris.

Comment

It's a Daytona Sports Sedan Bob, like my '66, '64 was the last year for hardtops.

Much better in my opinion as the "B" pillar provides strength that the hardtop body lacks.
      John Clements
      Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Originally posted by avantilover View Post
        It's a Daytona Sports Sedan Bob, like my '66, '64 was the last year for hardtops.

Much better in my opinion as the "B" pillar provides strength that the hardtop body lacks.
        However, the hardtops (J body) used the 11 gauge (.1196") frame while the V-8 2 door sedans (F body) used the 13 gauge (.0897") frame. Having owned and driven many of each style, I would say that it is the hardtops that had the most solid feel.

Comment

I believe that more (read younger) and more folks are using "hardtop" to mean "not a soft-topped convertible."
          Oh well, (all togeter now) dinosaurs we are and dinosaurs we shall remain!

Comment

Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
            However, the hardtops (J body) used the 11 gauge (.1196") frame while the V-8 2 door sedans (F body) used the 13 gauge (.0897") frame. Having owned and driven many of each style, I would say that it is the hardtops that had the most solid feel.
            That has been my experience also, the Hardtops are much more solid and heavier than a 2 Door Sedan.

I have seen too many of those V8 Sports Sedans with the Frame at the front crossmember broken 90% of the way OFF and flexing, they REALLY need reinforcement.

All you do is bounce the Car from the Radiator Surround Panel and look at the Frame, if it all moves together it is not cracked too far YET.

I don't care what they try to call them, but a Hardtop Convertible is STILL a Hardtop and a Sedan is a SEDAN!
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by skyway View Post
              I believe that more (read younger) and more folks are using "hardtop" to mean "not a soft-topped convertible."
              A few hardtops are still being made. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...me-full-circle!

Craig

Comment

The owner of that 1965 Daytona Sports Sedan shows up in my SDC Roster as living in Huntington, NY (north shore of Long Island).
                Last edited by studegary; 11-26-2013, 12:23 PM. Reason: missing (
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by skyway View Post
                  If that is so, then they need to understand the correct terminology and stop using the wrong terminology.
                  RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                  4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                  5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                    That has been my experience also, the Hardtops are much more solid and heavier than a 2 Door Sedan.

I have seen too many of those V8 Sports Sedans with the Frame at the front crossmember broken 90% of the way OFF and flexing, they REALLY need reinforcement.

All you do is bounce the Car from the Radiator Surround Panel and look at the Frame, if it all moves together it is not cracked too far YET.

I don't care what they try to call them, but a Hardtop Convertible is STILL a Hardtop and a Sedan is a SEDAN!
                    Thx for the tip Rich, I think I'm lucky with mine, had no comments from the mechanics but will check.
                    John Clements
                    Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post

Likewise, I have seen several '65 - '66 2 door sedans with badly cracked frames. Is it just me, or do they all seem to crack on the passenger side?

Comment

Gary,

You're correct. That '65 Daytona Sport Sedan is owned by a former President of the Long Island Region and he lives in Huntington, Long Island. To my knowledge, there wasn't any "hardtop" body after the '64 model year. Bob's car has the Chevy V-8 with electronic ignition.

Rog
                        '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                        Smithtown,NY
                        Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Working...
                        X