No announcement yet.

Do you even know what a Studebaker is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you even know what a Studebaker is?

My grandaughter (and SDC member) Sydney sent me a note on facebook the other day. She said she was wearing her Studebaker T-shirt and was stopped by an old man in the store who asked her "do you even know what a Studebaker is?"

To which she proudly showed him pictures of her 65 Commander. Needless to say, he was impressed.Click image for larger version

Name:	Sydney.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	1741252 Click image for larger version

Name:	MayFair2012 028.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	1741253
    Jon Stalnaker
    Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Nice Jon, she looks about 12 in the first Pic and about 16 going on 20 in the second!
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The first picture is more recent. The picture of her in the car was right after she got her drivers licence at 16. She'll be going off to college next year. They grow up fast. She's still a baby to me.
      Jon Stalnaker
      Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Wat a gal!!! She sure impress me BIG-time!
        More youngsters like her & the world will be quite some lovely place!
        (If only my daughters would be like her... well at least Pixie said "That got to be the most beautiful car in the world!" when she saw a -57 Golden Hawk once up on a time...)

Comment

Well...as one old geezer to another...I always look for the eyes. Yep...even when looking at "Females!" Because...its the eyes... more than anything...that tell if the "lights are on!" From what I see in those pictures...you have a bright one there. Another good thing about eyes...they are a reflection of good nurturing and love back to those who care for them. A reflective beacon back to you and your family. I wish her well as she goes to college.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Don't you just love it? Tell her great job for all of us!
            Pat Dilling
            Olivehurst, CA
            Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

I occasionally encounter a youngster who knows what a Studebaker is. Not often though. But they ALWAYS tell me they love my car (or truck). Now if I could just get them excited about fixing one up and driving it. Tell you granddaughter to keep spreading the word.
              Ed Sallia
              Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Nice story, good to read about.

Comment

I'd have loved to see the old man's face when she showed him the car! Great story! Reminds me of the day a 20-something years young guy [at Auto Zone] said "nice Studebaker!" I was shocked!Turned out he owned a '50 Champion.
                  Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                    Well...as one old geezer to another...I always look for the eyes. Yep...even when looking at "Females!" Because...its the eyes... more than anything...that tell if the "lights are on!" From what I see in those pictures...you have a bright one there. Another good thing about eyes...they are a reflection of good nurturing and love back to those who care for them. A reflective beacon back to you and your family. I wish her well as she goes to college.
                    I'm an eye-guy too John. As you said as well as, the eyes don't age.

Comment

When my grandaughter Ashton was in Kindergarten,the class had been divided into groups for different activitys. Ashton was supposed to be coloring. She had lost interest in her coloring book and was watching the teacher showing another group "Flash Card" pictures. One of the pictures was a car.A VW I think. Teacher asked "What kind of car is this?" Ashton shouted across the room"IT's a STUDEBAKER!!!"
                      Ashton got in trouble for disrupting the class(not the first time!) Her Mama was called in to meet with the teacher. Teacher asked "And how does a 5 year old know what a Studebaker is anyhow?"
                      Rachel(Ashton's Mom) said "You obviously don't know her Grandad."
                      Neil Thornton

Comment

It's funny how folx who are old enough to know 'bout Studebaker finds it difficult to understand that there actually are a few around still & that not all kids are blind or not interested.

(My own 3,5 year old Mowitz knows Citroen -& that's only the DS & ID-models in his opinion, 2cv -& that's not a Citroen in his opinion, Cadillac & ofcourse Studebaker... cause these are the cars we have exept for the 2cv, that's his total love when it comes to cars; a car that makes you feel as if you've drank a half bottle of wine when you ride in it.)
                        Last edited by Noxnabaker; 11-27-2013, 01:26 AM.

Comment

While driving my Avanti, I stopped by a Boston Market to pick up some food. There was a young (mid 30s) man going in ahead of me, who must have seen me pull in. He stopped, opened the door for me, and with a sweep of his arm and his best Italian accent, announced "Avanti!" Young feller not only knew his cars and his Italian, but proper respect for an old codger driving a classic. We both had a good chuckle.
                          Jim Bradley
                          Lake Monticello, VA
                          '78 Avanti II
                          sigpic

Comment

Well...as one old geezer to another...I always look for the eyes. Yep...even when looking at "Females!" Because...its the eyes... more than anything...that tell if the "lights are on!"

And all this time my eyes never got higher than 4 feet. <G>
                            101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Working...
                            X