Terminology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terminology

I was vending a few pieces at the PSW zone meet as you may already know. Amongst the stuff I laid out was a V8 water pump manifold for trucks. It differs from the one for cars in that it's pump well is located higher to afford the fan a higher position more aligned with the center of the radiator. Anyways....

I was standing maybe 50 or 60 feet from my offerings when a fella tapped me on the shoulder and asked me how much I wanted for my "crab". I was stymied. Although I don't recall what I might've replied, it was probably "Hunh?" at best. I've never HAD any crabs that I can recall! Surely he musta had me confused with someone else!

Consciousness rebooted, even tho this fella was already asking other questions about the supposed crab, I had to stop him for clarification.... "Wait a minute. Crab - what crab? I don't HAVE any crabs. If I do, they're right friendly in nature. I say that because I haven't felt compelled to buy a jar of Blue Star ointment to temper their little attitudes."
    The guy chuckled a bit and allowed as how - where HE came from, folks referred to leggy water pump manifolds as "crabs".
    See, I'd heard of "log" manifolds - I'd heard of "split" manifolds - intake, exhaust, water, ram, etc., but Crab? Maybe it's a costal thing. So now I have to log qualifications of 2-bolt crabs, 4-bolt crabs, R-series crabs, truck crabs and 56J crabs. At least so far as Stude V8s are concerned. Gotta admit - the possibilities are manifold (the McKinnon thing hardly brings any crustaceans to mind)
    Looking in my Unabridged, "maniform" might be a better choice for a crab manifold. The definition being something having the form of a hand. A V8 manifold is maniform if you leave the thermostat housing on it - kinda-sorta - as there'd be FIVE fingers to it instead of 8 (as most crabs have).[8]
    While on the subject of crustaceans, there's a soft-shelled clam that's native to the shores of Maryland and Virginia called a "Maninose". And hey - it DOES move water on a regular basis!

BTW, I traded manifold 2bbl manifolds for one that had been reconfigured to accept an Edelbrock and a Corian heat dam as well. I did this deal with a fella named Ken (he'll forgive me for forgetting his last name) who drove his 63 Lark to the meet WITHOUT a distrbutor in his V8![:0]

Wonder if some call the old Slant Six intake a Menorah Manifold?[:I]

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

I'm with you. I never heard a water manifold called a crab either, but people have a way of making up names for things.

1952 Champion Starlight since October,1971. 1962 Daytona
    since May, 2007.Searcy,Arkansas
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

I'm with you. I never heard a water manifold called a crab either, but people have a way of making up names for things.

1952 Champion Starlight since October,1971. 1962 Daytona
      since May, 2007.Searcy,Arkansas
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Bob, That was Kenneth Michael from Studebakers Only of Payson, AZ.

Comment

Bob, That was Kenneth Michael from Studebakers Only of Payson, AZ.

Comment

Ok Bob ,Im gonna bite .unless he was driving a 6cyl. how did he drive there without a distributor?

David Baggett '53 coupe

Comment

Ok Bob ,Im gonna bite .unless he was driving a 6cyl. how did he drive there without a distributor?

David Baggett '53 coupe

Comment

Coils on the valve covers. Wasted energy style. Dizzy cut off like a 51-52, just to drive the oil pump.

Comment

Coils on the valve covers. Wasted energy style. Dizzy cut off like a 51-52, just to drive the oil pump.

Comment

Working...
                  X