Mercedes Gran Turismo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mercedes Gran Turismo

I have seen many examples of Mercedes Benz adapting Studebaker concepts, even in recent years. Now they have a Mercedes Gran Turismo concept car.

There's no future but the one we make. And from where we're standing, the future looks bright. This is the Mercedes-Benz AMG Vision Gran Turismo, created esp...

Awesome car for a video game.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mercedes Gran Turismo.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	1684804

------------
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Wow! Seems the days are gone when the USA manufacturers had a frequency of concept cars. Or maybe I'm not following them close enough.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeMichael View Post
          I have seen many examples of Mercedes Benz adapting Studebaker concepts, even in recent years.

I think they're due...especially after Studebaker blatantly swiped the Mercedes grille for the Larks.
          And we know that they adopted Mercedes door latches for the Avanti. Recently I showed my Avanti to a former Mercedes dealer GM...he noticed those right away.

I still may try to adopt a period Becker radio in place of my Studebaker AM unit....since some (many?) Studebaker dealers also handled Mercedes, I could see a MB-sourced radio finding its way into an expensive Avanti if the buyer wanted an upscale radio.
          63 Avanti R1 2788
          1914 Stutz Bearcat
          (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Some may not know Studebaker's relationship with Mercedes was pretty tight there for a while.
            Studebaker products - cars, trucks, and if anyone has a picture of a Studebaker covered wagon, sure, go ahead! Studebaker was the only wagon-maker that transitioned successfully to building cars. Since Studebaker bought Packard, Packards are also fine, especially from the Studebaker era.

Mercedes Benz Inc ( A Subsidiary of Studebaker Corporation) South Bend, Indiana

(Do NOT start scrolling thru that flickr collection if you have any plans for the next hour or two)

Comment

Pretty sure I saw this car on a recent episode of American Pickers...
              It was in a barn with that cement Studebaker building emblem.....
              Jeff

Studebaker products - cars, trucks, and if anyone has a picture of a Studebaker covered wagon, sure, go ahead! Studebaker was the only wagon-maker that transitioned successfully to building cars. Since Studebaker bought Packard, Packards are also fine, especially from the Studebaker era.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Stude Stubby.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	1684823

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

Of course Mercendes did not appreciate Studebaker's "tri-star" on the '54-s, but after that until the mid 1960's Studebaker was the U.S. distributors for Mercedes. The Grand Tourismo label has been used by many automakers over the years. That is what the term GT that is seen so often stands for. I don't think Mercedes did anything out of line in using it now. The Lark/Hawk grill style was actually used by Mercedes prior to Studebaker using it. Oh, and thanks for posting the link to the video. That Mercedes might be the first think I'd buy when I win the lottery. (Yep, I know it would have to be a BIG lottery....now where's that lottery ticket again???)
                Joe Roberts
                '61 R1 Champ
                '65 Cruiser
                Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Kind of looked like a gussied up Fiskar with a gasoline engine.
                  Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
                  Kenmore, Washington
                  hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
                  '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
                  '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
                  '69 Pontiac Firebird
                  (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

Near the end of the video, after the pic Jeff posted is a gt logo, the caption says
                    gran turismo gt is a registered trademark of Sony entertainment.

does Sony own gt now? Maybe I didn't understand it.

Comment

Gran Turismo is now a Playstation video game... And Platstation is owned by Sony...

Explore the new generation PlayStation 4 and PS5 consoles - experience immersive gaming with thousands of hit games in every genre to rewrite the rules for what a PlayStation console can do.

Originally posted by leroy View Post
                      Near the end of the video, after the pic Jeff posted is a gt logo, the caption says

Jeff

Comment

Picture of it on MSN home page this morning, If it wasnt for the tri star I'd think it was a Buick

101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
                          Of course Mercedes did not appreciate Studebaker's "tri-star" on the '54-s, but after that until the mid 1960's Studebaker was the U.S. distributors for Mercedes.
                          Roy Hurley of Curtiss-Wright was negotiating a deal to distribute M-B cars in the US prior to his involvement with Studebaker-Packard. The deal was hung up due to Max Hoffmann having exclusive rights to distribute M-B's in New York City & Los Angeles.

When Hurley took over, S-P became the distributor for M-B after Hoffmann's contract expired in early 1957.

Pontiac's chief engineer John Z. DeLorean's 1964 Pontiac GTO: Gran Turismo Omologato. Ford 'nuts' referred to GTO as the Garbage Truck Option.

The GTO is considered by many to be the first muscle car. The term was originally coined by Motor Trend for midsized cars with large V8's installed from full sized cars.

Today, the terms Muscle Car and Pony Car have become muddled with no clear definition between the two.
                          Last edited by WinM1895; 11-25-2013, 08:01 AM.

Comment

Sony doesn't have trademarks on the term gran turismo gt, but they do have trademarks on the title of the video game "Gran Turismo GT". If you're not looking to program, market, and sell your own video game and calling it "Gran Turismo GT" for Sony's Playstation consoles, you'll be just fine. Sony has been supplying the "Gran Turismo" type games for the better part of 10 years now for its Playstation consoles. As an example, since I have a now older Playstation 2(replaced by the Playstation 3 a couple years ago) which is a replacement to an older Playstation 2 in 2005 or so, I have "Gran Turismo 4", which I've owned since 2004-ish.
                            1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                            1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                            1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                            1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Originally posted by JBOYLE View Post
                              I still may try to adopt a period Becker radio in place of my Studebaker AM unit....since some (many?) Studebaker dealers also handled Mercedes, I could see a MB-sourced radio finding its way into an expensive Avanti if the buyer wanted an upscale radio.
                              The Avanti shop manual clearly shows either a Becker or a Blaupunkt radio installed in one.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X