X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: shackle/rear spring bushings

sigpic
    1954 C5 Hamilton car.

The shackle bolts have self locking castle type nuts. There is no washer , the friction against the shackle links helps retain the torque of the fastener and prevents it from rotating.
    The inner sleeve is clamped tight, and the outer sleeve is tightly press fit into the spring eye or frame. The only give is the flexing of the rubber. This is also how the front suspension bushing work. That is why it's important NOT to tighten the bolts until the full weight of the car is on the springs. It keeps the rubber from being over flexed and shearing under suspension travel extremes.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Very good Brad. cheers jimmijim
      sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Of course, Studebaker had the answer to this - in 1928! They introduced the Fafnir ball bearing spring shackles, used them through 1933. Rex Miltenberger told me that the ball bearings suffered from "Brinelling" from the impacts of the balls on the races when the cars hit bumps. But, Rex also says that when they are working, especially when they have been re-worked to use needle bearings, that the ride is extremely smooth, even in 1930-ish cars. I haven't found any reference that says that any other car manufacturer ever used them, except Pierce Arrow which was owned by Studebaker back then. I was thinking of writing an article for Turning Wheels or Antique Studebaker Review about these. Any interest?

Click image for larger version

Name:	fafnir shackle ad 2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	1684798 Click image for larger version

Name:	studebaker_pres-shackles_evening-independent071428.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	1684799
        Gary Ash
        Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
        ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
        '48 M5
        '65 Wagonaire Commander
        '63 Wagonaire Standard
        web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

The Horton Company manufactures a needle bearing spring shackle like you describe...
          But it is for heavy trucks.

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
            The shackle bolts have self locking castle type nuts. There is no washer , the friction against the shackle links helps retain the torque of the fastener and prevents it from rotating.
            The inner sleeve is clamped tight, and the outer sleeve is tightly press fit into the spring eye or frame. The only give is the flexing of the rubber. This is also how the front suspension bushing work. That is why it's important NOT to tighten the bolts until the full weight of the car is on the springs. It keeps the rubber from being over flexed and shearing under suspension travel extremes.
            Thanks for the info, now I know...would have been nice if the manual said to tighten the shackle bolts with the weight of the car on the springs...I replaced the bushings when I changed rear axles a few years back and they show signs of shredding. what do you think about the urethane bushings? cheers, Junior
            sigpic
            1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

The urethane bushings should work fine. If they are the same width. The side to side end play needs to be held to a minimum to prevent rear "steering" when springs deflect over bumps and under torque.
              Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948
              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I've used urethane in extreme conditions without a problem. I simply looked around at an off-road business until I found ones that would fit. I grease everything and add grease-zerks where-ever possible. I use self-locking Stover nuts. I use urethane on shackles, anti-sway bar mounts, etc. All the best.

Comment

Working...
                X