No announcement yet.

Dragged home a new car for the wifey...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dragged home a new car for the wifey...

Hey everyone,

Over the past few weeks, my wife and I have been negotiating for another project car. Back on Saturday, she made her way home; and work begins this coming week. Ashley (My wife), has been wanting one of these for over a year and a half now to build a "his and hers" combo, so when this one came up closer (Keyword there) to home, we had to go take a peak. One road trip later, we decided she had to come home.

The car was parked in 1969 due to being stuck between gears... The linkage was jammed. Funny but sad thing to be parked for (I've fixed the problem in 15 minutes on the side of the road before). However, the car only has 120,000 miles on her. Factory V8, 3 speed with overdrive, twin traction rear end, radio, dual exhaust, oil filter, back up lights, and a rather large oil bath aircleaner. Even has a intact battery tray! The exhaust still has factory galvanizing in places, and someone swapped out the factory mufflers for a set of glasspacks (Explains the jammed shifter...). We found it with one broken window, no wheels, and a ruined interior due to the sun. It has the usual floor rust, but really isn't too bad considering other cars I've fixed. The car rolled out of place once we dug her out and put wheels on, and is remarkably intact. Even the rocker panels and in good shape (Like the good exhaust wasn't the icing on the cake alone). So, coming soon to Studebaker meets and shows near you; is my wife's new pride and joy.
    Attached Files
    Dylan Wills
    Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
    1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
    1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
    1914 Ford Model T

Very cool, Dylan! Congrats on the good find.
    Dave Nevin
    Corvallis, OR
    1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
    Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

Sorry Dylan- but I like Ashley's better!!! I know you know why... ; )
      We look forward to seeing you and your cars in September.
      If not sooner!!!
      StudeDave '57
      US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
      SDC Member since 1985

past President
      Whatcom County Chapter SDC
      San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
      San Diego Chapter SDC
      North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Thanks!

Preferably sooner, Dave. And I figured you'd like this one best, I actually thought of you first when I first saw it!
        Dylan Wills
        Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
        1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Way to go Dylan. Keep the Ladies involved. My wife and I have His & Hers Hawks. Hers is the White GT in my avatar. Mine is the black Silverhawk in my Sig.
          Neil Thornton

Comment

Originally posted by StudeDave57 View Post
            Sorry Dylan- but I like Ashley's better!!! I know you know why...
            I'm guessing it has to do with the single headlights, and I couldn't agree more!
            ~Matt Connor
            '59 Lark 2-door

Comment

Cheers to you and the wife! Especially the wife! Having "his & her" cars was a dream of mine for years. However, I failed to consult with "her." Truth is...I really am guilty of getting so wrapped up in my own interests, that I made the mistake of assuming my wife would automatically be just as enthused as me. Also, I am bad to let my interest and passion for a project consume me. That means working, learning, and talking (especially talking) incessantly about it. By the time I had accumulated enough cars to have one for my wife, daughter, and myself...I had annoyed and bored them to the point that they had tuned me out.

Oh, they have driven and accompanied me to events from time to time. And, I think my wife truly enjoys the events when she attends. However, I'm pretty sure that if I wasn't involved, neither my wife or daughter would attend an auto related event, nor make much effort to even glance at or acknowledge a vintage automobile.

I think that they both really care and are respectful of my hobby. But, they are now afraid that they might scratch, ding, or otherwise harm one of the cars and just don't want to deal with the responsibility. My wife never learned to drive a manual transmission. With her allergies, she needs constant air conditioning. My daughter has a more adventurous spirit. However, now married, she's too busy with her family. Also, she rarely keeps a car more than a year. Apparently, to her, by the time the last bit of tape from the window sticker has been cleaned off the glass...it's time for another car.

Let's face it...not all folks are car nuts. I'm fascinated with just about anything mechanical. From wheel barrows, bikes, tractors, etc. If it has wheels and/or gears...I'm interested. Some engage...some tolerate.

I salute the two of you. Have a great time with your cars!
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I got tired of Kim "stealin" my 2r5, so I got her a '58 Transtar....
                Now she's pestering me to death on restoring it...... Hurry UP! I wanna Drive it!

Comment

Originally posted by silverhawk View Post
                  Hey everyone,

Over the past few weeks, my wife and I have been negotiating for another project car. Back on Saturday, she made her way home; and work begins this coming week. Ashley (My wife), has been wanting one of these for over a year and a half now to build a "his and hers" combo, so when this one came up closer (Keyword there) to home, we had to go take a peak. One road trip later, we decided she had to come home.

The car was parked in 1969 due to being stuck between gears... The linkage was jammed. Funny but sad thing to be parked for (I've fixed the problem in 15 minutes on the side of the road before). However, the car only has 120,000 miles on her. Factory V8, 3 speed with overdrive, twin traction rear end, radio, dual exhaust, oil filter, back up lights, and a rather large oil bath aircleaner. Even has a intact battery tray! The exhaust still has factory galvanizing in places, and someone swapped out the factory mufflers for a set of glasspacks (Explains the jammed shifter...). We found it with one broken window, no wheels, and a ruined interior due to the sun. It has the usual floor rust, but really isn't too bad considering other cars I've fixed. The car rolled out of place once we dug her out and put wheels on, and is remarkably intact. Even the rocker panels and in good shape (Like the good exhaust wasn't the icing on the cake alone). So, coming soon to Studebaker meets and shows near you; is my wife's new pride and joy.
                  You lucky dog there, you! I'd like to have a 1960-62 Lark 4 door wagon too.
                  --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Wow, congratulations to the lucky couple! The family that Studebakers together.....
                    Pat Dilling
                    Olivehurst, CA
                    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

very nice, Dylan!

never forget how fortunate you are to have a wife that enjoys old cars - especially our Studebakers.
                      Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Two 1961 wagons, both Deluxe models, but one with the dual headlight option (that someone put amber park lenses in).

Cathy, my wife, and I both had Studebakers as our only cars when we met. We have had more than 50 other Studebakers since then.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

If I brought home another project car "for the wife" I'd have one more project and one less wife.

Comment

Haha, thanks guys! Ashley is turning into quite the car person herself, trying to drag home new projects just as much as I do.
                            Dylan Wills
                            Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                            1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                              Two 1961 wagons, both Deluxe models, but one with the dual headlight option (that someone put amber park lenses in).

Cathy, my wife, and I both had Studebakers as our only cars when we met. We have had more than 50 other Studebakers since then.
                              Yup! We planned it that way. What we didn't plan was two have a pair of V8/stickshifts, but that was a awesome plus to us. (And on the turn signals, I got mine with the amber lenses, but I would rather go back to original clears with amber bulbs behind them. What do you think?)
                              Dylan Wills
                              Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                              1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Working...
                              X