Charge Light for One-Wire Alternator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Charge Light for One-Wire Alternator

Looking for a way to install a charge light to indicate when the alternator is charging/not charging (a similar function to todays "idiot" lights) for a one wire GM style alternator. Have found diagrams for three wire, and for external voltage regulators, but nada for a one wire set-up.
    Anyone have a way for doing this?
    Thanks, as always, Paul TK

Why not just put in a voltmeter?

Comment

I don't believe you can do what you want to do (indicate when the alternator is charging/not charging like a traditional idiot light), but here's a way to light a light when voltage goes below 11v...

http://www.ronfrancis.com/prodinfo.asp?number=LS-11

Probably as close as you will get to what you want.
      Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

I believe to do this right, you need to use the much better, Factory type 3 Wire GM Alternator. It is wired for a Idiot Light wire.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          I believe to do this right, you need to use the much better, Factory type 3 Wire GM Alternator. It is wired for a Idiot Light wire.
          I did just that on my 1962 Lark with its swapped in Chevy 350.
          --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

You can't use an idiot light on a one wire alternator. The idiot light is wired through the internal regulator in a three wire alternator. Since the connections to the regulator are made internally in a one wire alternator, an idiot light can't be installed. Installing a voltmeter or an ammeter which I don't recommend, are your choices for a charge indicator. Bud

Comment

It depends on the one wire internal regulator that you have. The earlier ones could still use the idiot light, the terminal was there and active. On the next ones, the terminal was there, but not active. There are later ones yet, where the terminal is no longer provided at all. JC Whitney used to sell the internal regulators with the terminal that was active, and I've used a couple of those in the past, but I don't know if/what they sell now days. I remember being very surprised when I bought a couple 1 wire regulators from CPW (California Performance Warehouse), and the terminal was there but not active. I'm not up on what's being sold today...
              Corley

Comment

Thanks for the clarification - A voltmeter is installed (also wanted a warning indicator that would get attention right away, therefore the desire for the light). Also still have the ammeter, but w/ a "shunt" around the meter (18 ft. of 14 ga wire) to take some of the amp load off the meter - Undecided if the ammeter will remain in place. The One Wire was already purchased and on-hand - Did not want the expense of another unit (have also looked into converting the one-wire into a three wire w/ a previous forum post).
                Thanks for your help - The Ron Francis unit looks like the best option at this stage.
                Paul TK

Comment

Working...
                X