Avanti II and sunroof option. How many

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti II and sunroof option. How many

I recently bought an 84 Avanti and was relieved to find out it did not have a sunroof. I always thought most all the later Avantis, post 75, had sunroofs. Is this non roof car a little unusual?

Congrats on a great find. Since the original purchaser had the good sense and good taste to order your Avanti without the sunroof, maybe he maintained it well also.

Of all the chronic problems Avanti have, the bad idea of cutting a hole in the roof certainly is number one. I've never seen one which hasn't leaked at some time. The repairs are often as bad as the original idea and installation.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Jack, I'm with you on that thought. Not only did they leak but the sunroof tray just emptied into the hog troughs. This one is low miles and no frame or trough rust at all. Although it probably saw very little rain anyway.

Comment

What's the serial number Nels?
        64 GT Hawk (K7)
        1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

When I decided to find an Avanti II I intentionally looked for one without a sunroof. After all these years I figured that would be one problem I didn't want to deal with.

It seems that after the power sunroofs became available as an option that most cars appeared to be equipped with them...at least most that I've seen. I would think one without a sunroof would be a bit uncommon...all to the good. Someone I know had an '84 or '85 Avanti with a sunroof...he had the roof cut off and a solid roof grafted on. He owned a body shop and had the techs who could do it. A few months after his car was completed and painted he suffered a fatal heart attack. He barely was able to enjoy the car...but that's the minor thing. I've no idea what his family did with the Avanti after that.
          Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

I have to admit, if I ordered a new Avanti II back in the day (I was too young, too poor ) , I'd have ordered a sunroof, especially on a car that expensive.
            63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I worked for VW back in 1978 thru 1990,
              My company car was always a new Jetta
              with sunroof. Everyone of them leaked profusely!
              The 78 was dealer installed and leaked the worst, it would let
              water run between the roof panels, down the
              windshield posts, into the rocker panels then empty into
              the footwells. Never a good idea to cut a hole
              In the roof!
              sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
              Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
              "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Originally posted by 57pack View Post
                I worked for VW back in 1978 thru 1990,
                My company car was always a new Jetta
                with sunroof. Everyone of them leaked profusely!
                The 78 was dealer installed and leaked the worst, it would let
                water run between the roof panels, down the
                windshield posts, into the rocker panels then empty into
                the footwells. Never a good idea to cut a hole
                In the roof!
                Same experience with an Acura MDX. I found out when I went through an automatic car wash.
                Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Never a good idea to cut a hole In the roof!
                  A sunroof lessens the structural integrity of the car.

They all eventually leak.

They all eventually rattle.

They all eventually fail, usually in the open position.

I knew instinctively I didn't trust, didn't like, didn't want a sunroof. Unfortunately, most of the better, more expensive cars don't even give one the option. They just include it and charge for it.

Someone I know had an '84 or '85 Avanti with a sunroof...he had the roof cut off and a solid roof grafted on.
                  There's another Avanti out there which had the sunroof removed and a fiberglass panel cut from a wrecked boat was grafted in at great expense, but he'd just had it fighting the leaks and rattles.

jack vines
                  PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by 64V-K7 View Post
                    What's the serial number Nels?
                    The serial number on the door post is RQB 3946

Comment

Originally posted by 53k View Post
                      Same experience with an Acura MDX. I found out when I went through an automatic car wash.
                      I'm betting they have improved since then. My 2008 Impala had one with no leaks and my newer 2013 Impala shows no signs of leakage either at 15K miles. In fact, they have become a tie-breaker on purchasing a newer vehicle.

Bob

Comment

[QUOTE=PackardV8;

There's another Avanti out there which had the sunroof removed and a fiberglass panel cut from a wrecked boat was grafted in at great expense, but he'd just had it fighting the leaks and rattles.

That's exactly what I did on My '83 'driver' Avanti. Simply ground back around the moon roof opening about 3-4'', then grafted in a 1/8" piece of virgin fiberglass sheet cut to fit. Finished bodywork par usual, repainted roof. (blending into the sail panels)........I liked the moonroof...it operated fine....but I just got tired of chasing leaks.

Comment

Thanks, That's a sharp car.... Best of luck with it..
                          64 GT Hawk (K7)
                          1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Comment

I left the 'low' rollbar cover in place in My '83...and the panel behind it too. I just came up with a solid front section (used new door panel hard cardboard-like material), painted tan to match, and it looks pretty nice.

Comment

Working...
                              X