Cape Cod: Need Mechanical Shop Recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cape Cod: Need Mechanical Shop Recommendation

I've received a request for a shop to recommend on Cape Cod where a non-computer (hence, not forum-literate) SDCer could take an OHV Six ('not sure of the year) for repairs without getting hosed...but more importantly, someone who would work on an old car that is still a daily driver.

Anyone in the northeast have a recommendation to pass along?

Thanks. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Hi Bob, why not put him in contact with Dave Thibeault or Bob Munter? I believe they are both in that area.

Todd

Comment

Originally posted by Jet Green Daytona View Post
      Hi Bob, why not put him in contact with Dave Thibeault or Bob Munter? I believe they are both in that area.

Todd
      Besides these, try Gary Ash for Cape Cod information.
      With that said, I think that the restriction to Cape Cod may be a problem. I think that if he gets off the Cape he will have a better chance.
      Of course, knowing what type of repairs are desired/needed would be a help.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Thanks, guys. I have linked this topic to the inquirer and encouraged him to look in on it every so often. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Well...with the concentration of population in this part of the country...could be the "economy" of location..."getting hosed" is a very subjective term and probably regional in perspective. What we in the rural south could perceive as "getting hosed," might be a "deal" in the northeast.

Like what has already been mentioned, what is the nature of the service required? Is the engine in the vehicle? How far does the owner consider "local?" Lots of questions for us curious folks.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Yes, Gary Ash would be an excellent resource.
            I had a uncle who was in Weymouth who was
            a mechanic for years. Sad to say he was a
            WW2 Vet who has left us.
            sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
            Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
            "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
              Well...with the concentration of population in this part of the country...could be the "economy" of location..."getting hosed" is a very subjective term and probably regional in perspective. What we in the rural south could perceive as "getting hosed," might be a "deal" in the northeast.

Like what has already been mentioned, what is the nature of the service required? Is the engine in the vehicle? How far does the owner consider "local?" Lots of questions for us curious folks.
              'Sounds like routine maintenance at this point, John. The present shop, for example, found a pinhole in the Studebaker owner's fuel line from the tank...so they installed a new rubber fuel line hose all the way from the tank to the fuel pump! Not good.

I don't know the person, and the person seeking service did not contact me. Rather, I was contacted by an intermediary who is computer literate...but not registered on the forum, AFAIK.

So I have encourged the intermediary to check in on this topic from time to time to gather information to pass along. BP

Comment

Well Bob, if the owner is merely looking for a competent service oriented garage, I would think that the area is loaded with good potential. My inclination would be to look for an independent garage who services marine and automotive. If you think about it, the Cape Cod area is chocked full of vintage and contemporary marine vehicles. Good reputable marine mechanics, by the very nature of their craft, require a skill-set that concern life and death safety issues far beyond automotive issues. I'd like to think those folks would tend to let that extra safety concern cross over into all the work they do.

On water craft, the safe routing of electrical wires, grounding issues, and protection from volatile fumes require special attention. Shortcuts and sloppy repairs can be deadly.
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I was at our SDC chapter meeting on Sunday, asked the others if they knew anyone on the Cape who works on old cars, no luck. Apparently, the guy who has the '60 and '61 Larks isn't involved in SDC, none of us have ever seen him at a meet, so we don't know what kind of help he needs. I've exchanged a couple of e-mails with the intermediary in this story, suggested working through an on-Cape car club (www.capecodclassics.org) and the Heritage Museum and Gardens in Sandwich, MA.

Maybe this is a reminder that if you have friends who are not computer literate, that you could help them to get on-line. Even my mother-in-law finally gave in, got a laptop, took some classes at a local seniors center, and now feels empowered to do a bunch of things by herself that used to frustrate her because she had always needed my wife or her sister to do on-line stuff for her. The simplest tablets can surf the web if the house has wi-fi, but a computer with a keyboard may be easier for some people, even if they have no idea how to type. Give your old PC to someone. My grandchildren have learned to run computers by the time they were 3 or 4 (scary!), so "mature" people have no excuses.

As the old song goes, "Reach out of the darkness, and you may find a friend!" I think it's so groovy now that people are finally getting together...
                  Gary Ash
                  Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
                  ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
                  '48 M5
                  '65 Wagonaire Commander
                  '63 Wagonaire Standard
                  web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Amen Gary!
                    sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                    Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                    "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Originally posted by garyash View Post
                      Maybe this is a reminder that if you have friends who are not computer literate, that you could help them to get on-line. Even my mother-in-law finally gave in, got a laptop, took some classes at a local seniors center, and now feels empowered to do a bunch of things by herself that used to frustrate her because she had always needed my wife or her sister to do on-line stuff for her. The simplest tablets can surf the web if the house has wi-fi, but a computer with a keyboard may be easier for some people, even if they have no idea how to type. Give your old PC to someone. My grandchildren have learned to run computers by the time they were 3 or 4 (scary!), so "mature" people have no excuses.

As the old song goes, "Reach out of the darkness, and you may find a friend!" I think it's so groovy now that people are finally getting together...
                      That is amazing, Gary, isn't it? My 3 1/2-year old grandson walks up to the computer in his Dad's home office and starts wiggling the mouse around like it was born in his hand. (Come to think of it, maybe it was!) BP

Comment

Working...
                      X