Wagonaire Headliner-11/18 update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wagonaire Headliner-11/18 update

There are 7 panels total. Front, middle, and rear (sliding roof panel), and two longish panels on each side under the slider track.

The process is to...
    1. Measure the dimensions of each panel as close as possible.
    2. Cut a sheet of thin, scrap cardboard to these dimensions
    3. Subtract from (or add to) this scrap template until the desired fit is obtained.
    4. Make the final cardboard from the perfectly fitting scrap template.

In our case, the final cardboard is what Norm calls "package shelf board". It is heavy cardboard with an embossed and coated surface that is generally used for the package tray behind the rear seat in cars so equipped. We'll put the embossed and coated surface up and glue our finishing materials to the raw cardboard side. This will better protect the top side from condensation and the glue will hold better to the raw cardboard side.

Here's the start of the scrap cardboard template for the front section of the headliner...

For this one we didn't have to measure since Gary Ash provided a digitized template of an actual one.

We removed the front trim pieces in preparation for test fitting the scrap template...

Norm had done the process for the middle and rear panels this weekend and they were in place when I got to his shop today...

Hopefully by the end of the day we'll have the final cardboard made for the front section.

The middle and rear panels are the easiest of the 7 since they are flat. The other 5 are curved in at least one direction and for the front, in several. They'll take more time to develop the templates, then to carefully curve the final pieces so that they don't kink and hold the "set".
    Last edited by Dick Steinkamp; 11-18-2013, 12:54 PM.
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Sounds & looks like an excellent plan.

Comment

Dick, I recall in the other thread a mention was made about maybe offering a kit of some sorts for us other wagon owners? Would Norm be willing to make another set of those headliner panels that I could buy? I love the thought and workmanship. Thanks Rich.

Comment

Don't ya just love it when a plan comes to fruition? Great on you guys Dick. Thanks for sharing and I don't even have a wagon. cheers jimmijim
        Originally posted by EssexExport View Post
        Sounds & looks like an excellent plan.
        sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Originally posted by AKAchamptrucking View Post
          Dick, I recall in the other thread a mention was made about maybe offering a kit of some sorts for us other wagon owners? Would Norm be willing to make another set of those headliner panels that I could buy? I love the thought and workmanship. Thanks Rich.
          I hope we are able to do that, Rich. We'll see when the project is done if it is repeatable at a price that makes sense. Even if that is possible, there are other obstacles like packaging and shipping since 5 of the panels will have specific curves built in and all panels will be rather delicate. Installation won't be a slam dunk and I wouldn't want to mislead anyone that it would be.

I'll continue to chronicle our progress (we should be finished this week). At a minimum I'll be able to provide templates for all pieces and instructions.
          Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

I'm still interested and on board for a headliner
            kit or templets. Even the cardboard installed
            in your Wagonaire looks better than what's left
            of mine!
            sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
            Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
            "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Originally posted by 57pack View Post
              I'm still interested and on board for a headliner
              kit or templets. Even the cardboard installed
              in your Wagonaire looks better than what's left
              of mine!
              DITTO! count me in if available.
              Nick

Comment

11/19 Update

Norm finished all 7 final cardboard pieces today. Here's a look...

In the first picture, the front right under rail piece is not yet inserted.

We will not be using any foam between the cardboard and the perforated headliner material. The headliner material will be glued directly to the cardboard you see.

The front section cardboard has been shortened some at the windshield. Originally this piece went under the windshield seal. We made this just short of the seal and will put only the headliner material under the seal. We have also left extra headliner material at the front section corners to tuck under the vertical windshield trim pieces to insure full coverage.

The front cardboard section is a real PITA to mold to the roof contours. This piece has to be molded BEFORE the headliner material is glued down. If done AFTER, the headliner material will stretch and distort the holes.

The 4 side pieces under the sliding rail are fairly straight from top to bottom compared to the original which has a noticeable concave curve between these points. This is probably due to the heavier and coated cardboard we are using. It looks fine, but the rear seat coat hooks can not be reinstalled (unless they are spaced off their original mounting points).

The headliner material starts getting installed on the cardboard tomorrow. We should be done Thursday.
                Last edited by Dick Steinkamp; 11-19-2013, 07:25 PM.
                Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

11/20 AM Update

Here's the completed #3 (sliding roof) panel...

Here's the front and back of the #2 (middle) panel ready to go in...

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

Looks fantastic! Great job!
                    Looks like a Avanti headliner in a
                    Wagonaire!
                    Keep me on list for a kit,
                    sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                    Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                    "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Dick:
                      Try to weigh the pieces before they go in, so you could estimate shipping. You could probably package a set in cardboard wrap, wind up with a thing about 46x42x2. UPS would charge about $1.50-$1.60 a pound for regular ground service from your zip code to mine in Mass., about the most zones (8) within the lower 48 states. Everywhere else would be cheaper, except Hawaii and overseas. Maybe 20-30 lbs?

Now, where do I put my order in? My front piece, the difficult one, is good, so I'll take all the others.
                      Gary Ash
                      Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
                      ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
                      '48 M5
                      '65 Wagonaire Commander
                      '63 Wagonaire Standard
                      web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

.....and what product will you use to adhese the headliner material under the front windshield seal ??

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
                          .....and what product will you use to adhese the headliner material under the front windshield seal ??
                          Contact glue. The same glue upholsters use for most everything. It's the same stuff that glues the headliner material to the cardboard.
                          Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Originally posted by garyash View Post
                            Dick:
                            Try to weigh the pieces before they go in, so you could estimate shipping. You could probably package a set in cardboard wrap, wind up with a thing about 46x42x2. UPS would charge about $1.50-$1.60 a pound for regular ground service from your zip code to mine in Mass., about the most zones (8) within the lower 48 states. Everywhere else would be cheaper, except Hawaii and overseas. Maybe 20-30 lbs?

Now, where do I put my order in? My front piece, the difficult one, is good, so I'll take all the others.
                            We're still not sure about putting the kits together, but I'll let everyone know. It will be after mine is completed and we know all the problem areas and have solutions for them.

Gary,
                            We did have to massage your template for the front panel. We had to add some to each side and change the shape of the dome light cut out and move a few screw holes. I'm not sure that this was because yours was off or because we are using a different material than stock that doesn't bend the same way. Here you can see where we changed...

Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Great looking! Thanks for keeping us posted, I know it takes extra time and effort but we do appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
                              X