T86 Won't go into 3rd gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: T86 Won't go into 3rd gear

I just opened the T86 transmission on the bench for inspection.

Because it has stood on the bell housing end for the last 6 months, most of the lube had drained out. But, all components still have a nice protective coat. To my surprise, gears, synchros etc. all look great.... no noticeable wear or chips.

The transmission easily slips in and out of 2nd gear..... however, even with moderate force it can not be put in 3rd gear! I must assume that something is amiss that is out of sight.

Now for the solution...
    • Are special tools required to do a T86 tear down?
    • What should I expect to pay for a professional rebuild
    • Likely 70,000 to 80,000 miles on it.. Should a bearing etc rebuild be due?
    • Is there a simpler, more likely issue?

A thank you in advance to you pros.

mmagic I rebuild transmissions and have a t86 in stock, at $450. Are special tools needed, no, but it sure makes the job easier. As to why it won't go into 3rd gear I would look at the shift mechanism if every thing else appears normal. Jerry Kurtz York Pa 7173081800

Comment

Since it is on the bench and open there is no linkage issues possible.... It's a T86 with OD from the Speedster. I'm thinking seriously about your T86 in stock. Although I always love an adventure I don't necessarily like the brain damage. If I swapped for your T86, would have to dial it in?

Thanks !!!

Comment

Originally posted by mmagic View Post
        If I swapped for your T86, would have to dial it in?
        Nope - bell housing is what centers the tranny to the flywheel - its a "stab and go" operation...

Comment

mmagic I was not referring to the shift linkage shafts, but the internal shift mechanism, but if it goes into second it could also be in the snyro assy. Never ran into that problem, I would also make sure the brass snyro ring is free on the input shaft. If it's not , use a screwdriver and pry it loose. Jerry Kurtz

Comment

With both shift levers in neutral, will the input and output shafts spin easily and independently of each other?

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

Please keep in mind that if the Car you want this in is a '60 Lark or any '58 to '64 Stude. a '55 Speedster Tranny will have a Short Tail T-86, and you would need a Long Tail, so that depends on which Jerry or you have and the "Subject" Car.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Perhaps is is something as simple as the teeth not lining up to mesh. If it were the detent ball it also wouldn't shift well into 2nd.
                The rear lever is 1st and reverse, and the front lever is 2nd and 3rd. There is an interlock sleeve in the detent that is supposed to prevent the other lever from moving. It forces the opposing shift levers' detent ball into the neutral gate, locking it from moving, whenever it is shifted from neutral. If any gear lever is engaged the opposite lever is supposed to be locked, so you don't accidentally get two gears at once!
                Bez Auto Alchemy
                573-318-8948
                http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I have seen that a split synchronizer ring will keep them from shifting into high (direct) gear. Not easy to detect on an assembled transmission. The ring will crack at one of the three thin sections.

Comment

Sounds like the brass syncro ring is stuck to the input shaft. Storing transmissions in the manner you mentioned can cause this. This was mentioned in #5 post. I will just add. If it is stuck and you pry it loose (gently) besure to use a light oil to lube it. If not they will stick again before lube gets to it.

Comment

My bad... Cracked syncro ring(s). The Breaks were so clean at the key that I thought they were supposed to be that way !!

Just found this youtube.... transmissions 101 for Dummies !

Now I feel like a pro.

I'll talk to my local transmission man in the AM who's done several automatics for me. I'll make a decision once I know if he's reasonable.... Me, He, or Jerry.

Here's what I see so far so its time to do it right and start over... God knows what else is trashed.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	20131118_123151.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	1684754Click image for larger version

Name:	20131118_171746.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	1684755Click image for larger version

Name:	20131118_171838.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	1684756

Looks like Jerry is the right choice.
                      Last edited by mmagic; 11-18-2013, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Here's what I see so far so its time to do it right and start over... God knows what else is trashed.

Looks like Jerry is the right choice.

It's been suggested that synchronizer rings don't crack. I would believe that the bearing went first and the synchronizer was a result.
                        Last edited by mmagic; 11-19-2013, 08:05 AM.

Comment

Sent you a PM, Cousin Jerry

Comment

Working...
                          X