C-Cab....... 4 inch extension to fit 03 SSR chassis/suspension/dive train

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C-Cab....... 4 inch extension to fit 03 SSR chassis/suspension/dive train

Debated on adding to my last thread .....putting a 53 C-Cab on a Corvette transaxle. Chose to start a new. So here goes. In the last thread discussion swung to adding length to a Cab...even though we needed to lengthen the torque tube 7 1/2 inches. Go figure. Now we need to shorten the SSR roller we are now planning on using 4 inches. (116inches SSR to 112inches C-Cab). After reading the replies over...found a profile photo of a truck and in my paint program added approx. 4 inches to the back of the cab to see how it would look. To me ....is more than acceptable !! The addition to the cab only came down to the bed and stopped (first photo). you can see it hanging over. In reality it would go to bottom of the cab.....wanted to keep the bed/cab line and the gas cap. See my green truck I obliterated the bed/cab line. I attached the altered and original cabs of my green truck and the teal one I pulled off the internet. Sent email to Allen wanting his agreement....this way we do not alter the SSR undercarriage one bit. Comments ?? Other suggestions ?? I want to do this one right...leave no stone unturned. One thing that came up this evening ....the front strut on the roller as seen in the chassis photo. Appears the Studebaker truck is a roomier configuration at the centerline of front IFS than the SSR. Will go Monday to measure to make certain before I take it home Tuesday.
    Attached Files

You need to go drive an SSR before doing this. Have put 47,000 miles on ours and it is an excellant road car but because the chassis is a modified SUV it is some what heavy and lethargic on acceleration. What I thought would be neat to do with an SSR would be to keep the SSR from the fire wall back thus retaining the convertible top and put a 37-40 front end --- thus have a modern day coupe express with a drop top.

Comment

Seems like it would be a lot easier to lengthen the pickup box. Have you photoshopped that? I would hate to mess with that nice looking cab, but pickup boxes are commonly made in short, standard and long versions.
      Trying to build a 48 Studebaker for the 21st century.
      See more of my projects at stilettoman.info

Comment

Originally posted by Cowtown Commander View Post
        You need to go drive an SSR before doing this. Have put 47,000 miles on ours and it is an excellant road car but because the chassis is a modified SUV it is some what heavy and lethargic on acceleration. What I thought would be neat to do with an SSR would be to keep the SSR from the fire wall back thus retaining the convertible top and put a 37-40 front end --- thus have a modern day coupe express with a drop top.
        Correct. The SSR is on the Chevy TrailBlazer/Olds Bravada/Isuzu Ascender, etc. platform.
        --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Originally posted by Cowtown Commander View Post
          Is your SSR an 03 equipped with .....285 horse ...all aluminum ......4L60E trans..... 305 gears ?

First....I can get rid of the emissions crap. Can change the gears to 373 390 or 411. That will instantly improve performance. I can then swap a later model 5.3 LQ9 cam. Put a larger dual exhaust on it. Tune it with any number of programs available for 5.3's. But I may not do anything .....plan on just a nice cruiser....and you state that this does just that.....cruises

I have another 53 C-cab here that will have a beefed up 8.8 with 411 Gears....triangulated rear from Art Morrison....boxed original frame....IFS from Scotts Hot rods and an 09 LS3 420 horse automatic. So when I want to get ignorant I can.

Last edited by mike super; 11-17-2013, 08:24 AM.

Comment

That C Cab is sure an improvement in looks over that homely SSR.
            sals54

Comment

The box may be easier to add to but extra room in the cab is always nice to have. I would add to the back of the cab if it where mine. Ever think of adding a rear cab corner window like the early 50's chev? Might look good and add some side vision.
              Last edited by swvalcon; 11-17-2013, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Looks good. I'm amazed at what the members here come up with.

Comment

I thought of doing this with my Coupe Express but really the cab is pretty comfy as it is. I'm 5' 8 and go 202#. There's even room for my ...uhhh....muscular torso!.
                  Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
                    The box may be easier to add to but extra room in the cab is always nice to have. I would add to the back of the cab if it where mine. Ever think of adding a rear cab corner window like the early 50's chev? Might look good and add some side vision.
                    Spoke to Allen Barth this morning and will leave it up to him. His plan is to add to the cab, roll the rear pan behind the fender a bit. Should be very nice when complete. Nice to work with someone who can do most anything.

Comment

Hi Mike
                      I like your thoughts.
                      Because it does not matter what you put under one of these trucks, it will never be "special", "unique", or "outstanding" unless you alter the body.
                      These trucks are not my favorite (as a M series owner I am a little bias!) but I LOVE to Customize!
                      Wish I was better with photo shop, because I would love to share my "eye" with you. Proportion and stance is everything.
                      Don't be afraid to think outside of the box and remember the more aggressive you are the more unique your truck will be.
                      This is not to say you should go back into time with a Radical Custom like in the 50's and early 60's. As today's Customs are cleaner and classier without destroying the original manufactures stylists lines.
                      Looking at your photo shopped pictures, I had a couple of quick observations (things I would do if it was my personal project)
                      1. Lose the door handles.......they take your eye up and exaggerate the shortness of the doors.
                      2. Chanel the cab over the frame more than the box.........the box line needs to come up to the natural door reveal line.
                      3. # 2 will create the need to lower the rear fenders..........this is a good thing.
                      4. # 2 will also require and addition to the bottom of the box side both front & rear .......this will make the box look heavier for a meaner overall stance.
                      5. Definitely shorten the rear of the box........this should be subtle, not to take away from the overall proportions.
                      6. The roll pan for the rear should taper downward toward the rear fender........this will eliminate the tail dragging look.
                      Maybe you could photoshop these changes, leaving your 4" cab extension (love that idea as opposed to shortening the SSR chassis) so we can critique the look that I have in "My" head??
                      I don't want to come off as wanting to butt into you build or interfere with what Allen might want to do. But I would love to help you out if I can.
                      Wish I could spend a weekend at Allen's while mock up is being done on this project (he is only 250 mile away from me)
                      Good Luck with your project! And thanks for sharing it with us Forum members.
                      Remember we can not all build all of the cars we would like to, so it is nice to live vicariously through the builds of others.
                      As a Street Rod Shop owner, I have been doing this for years. It has satisfied my need to build immensely!
                      Good Luck & Good Roads
                      Brian
                      Brian Woods
                      woodysrods@shaw.ca
                      1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Brian.....appreciate the input. I do not like shaved door handles. Considering using a set that is flush to the body that u can put four fingers under ...pull and door open. Today's cars have matching color handles....they look good. I want the entire truck channeled ....we will look at your suggestion. Allen is doing the work and we seem to both think alike.

Attached a photo that addresses in a cursory manner the things you state. I am no photoshop whiz. My green truck sits lower than the blue one. I do not want it much lower. Trying to do what you are suggesting. Do not over do it !! I also think the cab may be able to stand more than a 4 inch extension to get things proportionate.

Thanks much for the input !!!
                        Attached Files

Comment

This thread is fun. Playing with "our" imaginations, and Mike's money!

My thought is that any extension of the cab is much easier to "think" about than to pull off. Due to the fact that almost all of the cab capsule consist of complex curves. I'm sure it can (and probably has) been done, and anybody that successfully does it deserves much praise. If I could waive a "magic-wand"...I would make the four inch extension right in the middle. Right through the roof, door, and floor. But, then we are looking at a much more complex and expensive modification involving custom glass work, window channels and the window mechanisms. As far as "photo-shop" you could probably just stretch and save a picture for that effect using most photo editing programs.

Like I said...fun, using our imagination and Mike's money.
                          John Clary
                          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Thanks for the photo.
                            Hope you like it, and yes I am a fan of retained flush mounted painted handles........and yes I would like to see one more picture with them photoshopped out and the truck lowered so that the fenders just cross the tops of the rims.
                            And I hope you and Allen did not get the wrong impression........I am not looking for another job! Retired May 1st. JUST LOVE TO CUSTOMIZE!
                            Good Roads
                            Brian
                            PS
                            Allen I have not heard from you all summer????
                            I was just kidding in your guest book!
                            Brian Woods
                            woodysrods@shaw.ca

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                              This thread is fun. Playing with "our" imaginations, and Mike's money!

My thought is that any extension of the cab is much easier to "think" about than to pull off. Due to the fact that almost all of the cab capsule consist of complex curves. I'm sure it can (and probably has) been done, and anybody that successfully does it deserves much praise. If I could waive a "magic-wand"...I would make the four inch extension right in the middle. Right through the roof, door, and floor. But, then we are looking at a much more complex and expensive modification involving custom glass work, window channels and the window mechanisms. As far as "photo-shop" you could probably just stretch and save a picture for that effect using most photo editing programs.

Like I said...fun, using our imagination and Mike's money.
                              Yes it is!
                              Brian
                              Brian Woods
                              woodysrods@shaw.ca

Comment

Working...
                              X