Copper 232 Head Gaskets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copper 232 Head Gaskets

I have been doing yet another one of those long list of projects which I did not get to till retirement.

I am going through all my gaskets and pitching the ones that are too brittle to use (and which are still being made).

One of the head sets I was going through is for a 232. The gaskets are actual copper with asbestos in between the two sheets of copper. I have seen this discussed on the forum for R3 engines but not sure I have seen it about those for a 232. I had several 232 head sets and this was the only set with copper gaskets. These are not coated with copper, they are actual copper. They are more flimsy and weight around twice as much. None of my 289/259 sets are copper.

Anyone know if these had a special usage???

I am thinking they may make good wall hangers.
    Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
    1961 Hawk 4-speed
    1967 Avanti
    1961 Lark 2 door
    1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

I don't think they have any different application Milt, just a different Mfg. or batch than most, I have some. Are they McCord?
    Possibly just the Premium line of Gaskets from the 1950's.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Curious here - is anyone using the dead soft solid copper gaskets that Ted had made some years back???
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
        Curious here - is anyone using the dead soft solid copper gaskets that Ted had made some years back???
        I thought those were all R3 Size?
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Jim will have to confirm this, because he provided them, but I believe we are using solid copper gaskets in the Salt-2-Salt engine (232 block).

Comment

Rich, I used a set on a 224. I'm just curious if anyone else here has used them.
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Rich, These were in a Studebaker parts envelope with the same part number as others with regular gaskets. A parts man might have replaced them I suppose. I do not see a makers name, the only number I see is 1A423 on them.
              Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
              1961 Hawk 4-speed
              1967 Avanti
              1961 Lark 2 door
              1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Working...
              X