Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radio cuts out when power window activated...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Radio cuts out when power window activated...

On my Avanti the radio has begun cutting out when the drivers power window is run. The radio (aftermarket) never gave a problem before and starts back up after a few seconds. It does not occur when the passenger door window is run. I'm assuming the driver door motor is drawing a lot of power. The window runs up and down normally so it's not dragging in any way.

My questions is how best to handle this. Should I simply relocate the power source for the radio? Maybe a relay like a headlight relay that maintains constant power to the radio? The driving lights on the car are set up that way with its own relay.

Any ideas?
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

As Jim Turner always says...
    "It's gonna be a ground"

(That's where I'd start)
    Jeff
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Thanks....I'll give that a try as soon as the temps go up.
      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

I agree that it is most likely in the ground side of things. I would check both ends - ground and power on the driver door window, as well as on the radio.

The fact that it does not happen with the passenger door tells me that
        -something is funny with the driver door motor ground,
        -or that the power to the radio power is hooked to the same power terminal as the driver door motor,
        -or that the radio and door window are grounded at the same spot.

The radio should get its power from the accessory terminal of the ignition switch and should be grounded at a different spot than the window motor.

Good luck
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

More thanks. The car recently had the dash out for a/c conversion to a Vintage Air system and also to add a cruise control. The installer told me they had an issue with the radio cutting out with the cruise control being activated so they changed something in either the ground or power so it looks like whatever was done is now in conflict with the driver door power window. I guess maybe some kind of feedback through either the power lead or ground.

The installer is located 300 miles away so it's not practical to run the car back to him. I'll try relocating the ground as it's probably the easiest thing to do.

Comment

The radio is working normally now without my doing anything beyond starting the car. What the problem was seems to have resolved itself. If it occurs in the future then I'll address it then...for now...if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Or...as I've done a few times...if it ain't broke...fix it 'till it is!

Comment

Working...
            X