Interior materials and paint color

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior materials and paint color

Is there a source to see the correct colors and styles for the interior of a 1957 Commander? My VIN is 8471339, how do I identify the model....Custom, Deluxe,??? My seats are light gray leather with a bluish cloth patterned insert but the door panels are Black and gray. The tops of the hood, fender and trunk are white while the roof and sides are a purple-ish color.

Oh, there was a swatch of new material stapled to the burlap covering the rear seat springs but it is a different pattern than the seat inserts. The insert pattern is so unusual I really believe it's original.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1196.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	1684682Click image for larger version

Name:	57 Commander back seat.jpg
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	1684683

Comment

You body tag (under the hood, passenger side firewall) will tell you what trim level your car is.
        Once you have that- the parts book helps you further.

Based on what you have said- it sounds like you have a Deluxe.
        And what I can see looks about 'right'. Nice!!!

Later I'll pester you for more about your car.
        But for now- my Registry is 'on the back burner'.
        Well, that and all my Registry 'stuff' is 1700 miles from me...

StudeDave '57
        Last edited by StudeDave57; 11-13-2013, 10:43 AM. Reason: added/deleted stuff
        StudeDave '57
        US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
        SDC Member since 1985

past President
        Whatcom County Chapter SDC
        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
        San Diego Chapter SDC
        North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Ok....57B W4, so it's a Deluxe. What does the 8316 below that designate?

Comment

Originally posted by tim333 View Post
            Ok....57B W4, so it's a Deluxe. What does the 8316 below that designate?
            That's the body number.
            Yours is the 8316th '57 Commander Deluxe four door welded up.
            These did not always leave the plant in order.

StudeDave '57
            StudeDave '57
            US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
            SDC Member since 1985

past President
            Whatcom County Chapter SDC
            San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
            San Diego Chapter SDC
            North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

It could very well be original, on the underside of the seat cushions scrap material of different colors was used to "tie" parts of the material together so it never matched.

However there will be no Leather anywhere, just Leather Grained Vinyl.

The "Blueish" Cloth is likely Gray, to blend with the Black and White, the "Light Gray Leather" is White Vinyl.

If you want the Body and Engine number verified, as original, the Date Ordered, Date Built, date Shipped, where shipped to, Ign. and Door Key Codes, Trunk and Glove Box Key Codes, original factory Installed Accessories, Original Body Colors, Interior Codes etc., etc. you need to order the Production Order by Serial Number from the Studebaker National Museum.

The Original Color is probably
              "Taupe Metallic".

Name:	Pres 2dr Taupe 3.JPG
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	1684687
              Last edited by StudeRich; 11-13-2013, 12:02 PM.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The material on the seats looks like the correct pattern for a W2 (Custom) body. In fact, the seats may be from a Custom. I think the front seat for a Deluxe should have the padded roll at the top of the back rest.
                Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Name:	57 Commander robs back seat.jpg
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	1684736Would it be a correct option to have the seat inserts black to match the door panels?

Comment

Interesting related trivia:

Judging from the numbers I've seen through the years, I've long felt that the 1957 Commander DeLuxe 4-door was probably the most popular 1957 Studebaker, so I just checked.

Yep, the most popular individual 1957 Studebaker model produced was 57B-W4, the subject car here. It was also the only 1957 Studebaker model to have sold over 10,000 units; 10,285, to be exact.

The next most popular 1957 model was the Silver Hawk V8, 57H-C3, at 9,607 units.

Bringing up the bottom of the list was the one (yes, ONE) 1957 Champion DeLuxe 4-door wagon built; 57G-P4! BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
                      The material on the seats looks like the correct pattern for a W2 (Custom) body. In fact, the seats may be from a Custom. I think the front seat for a Deluxe should have the padded roll at the top of the back rest.
                      Agreed, Dwain. I spent many hours riding in the back seat of our family car from fall 1959 through mid-1960: A turquoise and white 1957 Commander DeLuxe 4-door sedan. BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                        Interesting related trivia:

Judging from the numbers I've seen through the years, I've long felt that the 1957 Commander DeLuxe 4-door was probably the most popular 1957 Studebaker, so I just checked.

Yep, the most popular individual 1957 Studebaker model produced was 57B-W4, the subject car here. It was also the only 1957 Studebaker model to have sold over 10,000 units; 10,285, to be exact.

The next most popular 1957 model was the Silver Hawk V8, 57H-C3, at 9,607 units.

Bringing up the bottom of the list was the one (yes, ONE) 1957 Champion DeLuxe 4-door wagon built; 57G-P4! BP
                        Wow Bob, I wonder WHAT they called it??? A PelhamMoor? A PelhamVincial, a Pelham II?

I guess they would just have to put a Champion Nameplate on it!

Not counting "Special" very low number Taxi, Police Cars Fleets of H.D. Sedans etc. the President 2 Door Sedan and the Parkview 2 Door Wagon have to be pretty close to the bottom of the list after the One-Off Champion Wagon.
                        StudeRich
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                          Wow Bob, I wonder WHAT they called it??? A PelhamMoor? A PelhamVincial, a Pelham II?

I guess they would just have to put a Champion Nameplate on it!

Not counting "Special" very low number Taxi, Police Cars Fleets of H.D. Sedans etc. the President 2 Door Sedan and the Parkview 2 Door Wagon have to be pretty close to the bottom of the list after the One-Off Champion Wagon.
                          Yes and no, Rich. Here are low-end production numbers other than the specialty units you mentioned, compared with the President 2-door:

57H-F6 President 2-door: 836

57B-W2
                          Commander Custom 4-door: 828

57B-D4 Commander Parkview 2-door Wagon: 738

57B-F2 Commander Custom 2-door: 530

All the numbers lower than that are, as you say, specialty units not offered for sale to the general public. BP

Comment

OK, it looks like Dave has one of the 828 and one of the 738, and Biggs has one of the 836.

Hey, aren't you ducking into the Storm Cellar about now Bob? It is not looking good in the Midwest.
                            StudeRich
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

We just had a big storm pass by here southwest of Chicago, tornadoes on the ground in several small communities. Delayed the Bears game almost two hours.

I'm thinking of having black inserts instead of the bluish pattern there now. I'm guessing the pattern would be hard to find. The stains on the seatback was mouse pee, pretty nasty and stinky. Looking for feedback. Thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
                              X