Is this a 289?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Is this a 289?

This engine was in a 62 GT Hawk. I am pretty sure its a 289 but the valve covers are red and its throwing people I talk to off, so I am doubting it as well. I tried reading the engine chart here (http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/V8EngineID.asp) and it says "P followed by a letter and 3 numbers = Hawk/Lark-type 28". However the engraving reads "P82482" so its not P followed by a letter? Thanks in advance.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20131103_122616.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	1741145Click image for larger version

Name:	2013110395152245-850x478.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	1741146
    Andres Garcia
    Fairfax, VA - Philadelphia, PA

1953 Studebaker Starliner - Check out this project!

1963 Studebaker GT Hawk - Check out this project!

You are just misreading the Engine Chart, only Supercharged, Canada, Los Angleles, and '64's have a second Alpha, it does not matter anyway as the "P" tells you it is a 289 and the year matters little as they are all basically the same.

It is a '62 Hawk/Lark 289, I would pay NO attention to Valve Covers that can be easily changed and some early, non-full flow '62's I believe did have '61 Valve Covers, no big deal!

The real 289 proof usually except in the case of a Avanti R1 or R2 Engine would be the Dish or "Bowl" in the Piston Top, easily seen, felt or measured with a Piston at TDC through the Spark Plug hole.

After this many years some 259's and 289's, Pistons and Cranks have gotten swapped around, so it is possible to have a Engine Serial Number that lies about it's C.I.D.!
    Last edited by StudeRich; 11-12-2013, 11:08 AM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Aw, I guess I don't fully understand how to read this

P-79,801
      1962 Lark/Hawk 62V
      So does that mean p79-p801... I feel really slow here. I am guessing that I am correct in saying its a 289?
      Andres Garcia

Comment

Looks like it could be a '61 289. But, yes, after all these years, until you verify the stroke, you can't know for sure. Judging by the front pulleys, it came from a car with air conditioning.
        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

No, there are no dashes, commas or spaces intended all this is, is a numerical "count" as they were assembled, your's is the Eighty Two Thousand Four Hundred and Eighty Second 289 built and being AFTER 79,801 and BEFORE P-93,601 ('63 289) it IS a 1962 289.

The FIRST Letter prefix only indicates the Engine Size or Series.

OH!!!!! Maybe what you did not read is that these numbers in the chart are the STARTING Numbers for each year!

Read Post #2 again.

I see that "hearsay" can go a long way in confusing people!
          Last edited by StudeRich; 11-12-2013, 11:09 AM.
          StudeRich
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

That is really helpful thanks StudeRich,

gordr, I didn't see any air conditioning equipment, however there what seemed to be a strange second heater core under the passenger seat. I had not seen that before myself.
            Andres Garcia

Comment

That is OK Andres, you are NOT the first and will not be the last person to try to overcomplicate this, it is simplicity at it's best!

The Second heater core on the Driver's side is an Option for very Cold climates like Canada and Alaska or anyone who wants Maximum Heating I guess.
              It has no fresh Air going to it so it does not flow as well as the right side one which MUST have the outside Door OPEN and the Inside one Closed for fresh flowing Heat/Air.
              StudeRich
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

One thing to remember -

You can come upon a block with nice little numbers stamped in it...that mean nothing..!
                My 299 inch Stude engine is just a bunch of parts..
                A 259 block with a 289 crank, forged flat top pistons...and on and on, (going into my Champian Conestoga, with a Commander dashboard).

It's "very" easy to come upon an engine like this 50 or 60 years after the fact..!

Mike

Comment

My early '62 GT Hawk had red valve covers when I bought it used in 1991 but the engine serial was within the '62 parameters.
                  Frank van Doorn
                  Omaha, Ne.
                  1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                  1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                  1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

The real 289 proof usually except in the case of a Avanti R1 or R2 Engine would be the Dish or "Bowl" in the Piston Top, easily seen, felt or measured with a Piston at TDC through the Spark Plug hole.
                    One thing to remember - You can come upon a block with nice little numbers stamped in it...that mean nothing..! It's "very" easy to come upon an engine like this 50 or 60 years after the fact..!
                    Usually, it's proof, but as MVV says, not always. I'm still traumatized by buying a P block, verifying dished pistons, yet finding a V 259" crank inside.

jack vines
                    PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by 41 Frank View Post
                      My early '62 GT Hawk had red valve covers when I bought it used in 1991 but the engine serial was within the '62 parameters.
                      The 1962 GT Hawk I owned while working at Frost & French was a 289 4V/T-10. It had a partial flow oil filter and yellow valve covers. StudeRich may recall this car as he also worked at Frost & French during this time.

It was bought new at Phil Rauch Studebaker in North Hollywood by Pete Boaz, a "big cheese" in the H-E-T club. At some point, he sold it to Fred Roth, another H-E-T & SDC member, I bought the car from Roth circa 1970.

I sold it to a relative of Chuck Naugle circa 1973/74, when I tried to buy the car back years later, I spoke with Chuck who told me the guy had moved back to the Philippines taking the car with him.

At about this same time, I also owned numerous 1955/56 Packard's and a 1958 Packard H/T that I bought from the original West L/A owner. I sold this car in 1977 to Jim Swank who still owns it today. I've seen it pictured here several times.
                      Last edited by WinM1895; 11-12-2013, 06:59 PM.

Comment

I believe the '55 259 engines started with the letter P also. The numbers following the P will tell what year though.

Ted

Comment

Working...
                        X