Fortnum Motor Co., NJ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fortnum Motor Co., NJ

My buddy and I were going through the garage the other day attempting to find parts and organize others when we came across a sign for Fortnum Motor Co., Bridgeboro , NJ. Does anyone know of this dealership? I have 2 side panels that go above the rear bed fenders . There are 2 posts that hold them in the side pockets of the truck bed.
    Thanks
    Rob in PA

Looks like they ended up AMC dealers.
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

64 GT Hawk (K7)
      1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

When in High School in 1962 to 1966 the school bus would pass in front of this dealership each day. My head would immediately turn to see the Hawks parked on the lot and in 1963 I saw my first Avanti. I immediately went out and purchased the model to build. Fortnum Motors sat across the street from where Bridgeboro Road crossed Route 130. Now part of an overpass for the bridge that crosses the Rancocas Creek. Near the end it became a AMC dealer.

Now I am a proud owner of a of a 1962 GT Hawk and in the future hopefully, will be looking for a 63/64 Avanti to go with it. Those early impressions finally being realized 50+ years later thanks to Fortnum Motors!
        Last edited by bhanlon; 11-12-2013, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Had valve seals installed there on my 1964 Commander
          that would be about 1974.
          They had a great Studebaker parts dept. they never said no.
          Great to deal with. The State of NJ DOT realigned rt130 and the
          whole intersection on which the dealership was located.
          Everything was torn down, nothing left.
          sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
          Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
          "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Thanks for the input. If anyone is interested in the signs they are available. While looking at the NJ Dealer list I noticed there was no mention of Wm. Henderson Motors that was located in Phillipsburg, NJ. An Advance Auto currently uses the building. Bill Henderson and my Uncle Al used to swap cars even into the '80's! Rob in PA.

Comment

Long shot but are those signs still available. My father worked there until 1982.

Comment

Sorry-Someone from NJ wanted them to display with their M truck. Do you have any pics of the dealership?
                Thanks
                Rob in PA.

Comment

Here are the signs mounted on the new owner's vehicle:

Comment

Working...
                  X