Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have Aluminum intake manifold that needs to be fitted for Eldebrock 4 Barrel Carb.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have Aluminum intake manifold that needs to be fitted for Eldebrock 4 Barrel Carb.

A while back, I posted need help on machining my intake manifold. I had someone out their who could machine and port my intake. He has a yellow prewar truck. I think it is a yellow coupe express. Can you email me your phone number our email address. I want to send you my intake. I have a Offy that I need to fit on my 1964 full flow block. Roy

Roy, look for Deepenhock, AKA Jeff Rice.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

If it's a Studebaker-Offenhauser intake, it shoudn't need any machining, just a simple adapter plate to change the hold down stud pattern.

Mike

Comment

As far as that goes, aren't most Edelbrocks still drilled for the Carter WCFB pattern as well? All the older manifolds usually need is just clearancing the secondary bores for the larger butterflies. I've done it with a Dremel.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

The old Offy has a narrower square bolt pattern than the narrow AFB/wcfb.
          The bores really need opening up, and a good radius done to make them work decent.
          Port matching helps too.
          Adapter plates will work, but it will choke the throttle bores down, and if the adapter plate is too thick, the 'stack up' height can cause hood clearance issues on some Stude's.
          The corners need holes drilled in them and a flat surface milled for the corner hold down bolts.

And the Offy can be prettied up, too!
          Jeff

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
          As far as that goes, aren't most Edelbrocks still drilled for the Carter WCFB pattern as well? All the older manifolds usually need is just clearancing the secondary bores for the larger butterflies. I've done it with a Dremel.

jack vines
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

As a side note...
            I can make sure you have hood clearance issues on your Stude (with an Offy intake), too

Jeff

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

For what carbs was that narrower bolt pattern intended? The one I had took both a WCFB and an Edelbrock with no problems.

jack vines
              PackardV8

Comment

If it was an Offy intake for a Stude (without an adapter plate) (like the OP has), it probably took a Rochester 4GC carb, or a Carter 'early' WCFB.

For what carbs was that narrower bolt pattern intended? The one I had took both a WCFB and an Edelbrock with no problems.

jack vines
                Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 11-11-2013, 06:50 PM.

Jeff

Comment

Hey Roy, When I had my Offy, I bolted up the adapter, then used a hole saw to open up the bores to match. Then use a grinder to smooth it all out. I ran it that way for about 15 years with no trouble.
                  sals54

Comment

it probably took a Rochester 4GC carb, or a Carter 'early' WCFB.
                    Jeff, I'm confused about where you're going with this. Was there an 'early' WCFB pattern? I've used them from '52-'64 and every one I ever had was the same bolt pattern, which was the same as the Rochester 4Jet.

jack vines
                    PackardV8

Comment

You know more than I do, Jack.
                      I'm just trying to help Roy out, and answer questions.
                      That's why I posted pictures.
                      Lot's of info out there on the 'net.

Jeff, I'm confused about where you're going with this. Was there an 'early' WCFB pattern? I've used them from '52-'64 and every one I ever had was the same bolt pattern, which was the same as the Rochester 4Jet.

jack vines

Jeff

Comment

Here's a Packard intake with the same Carter WCFB/Rochester 4Jet bolt pattern as the early Studebaker 4-bbls.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0001.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	1684659

Here's an Edelbrock AFB with both early and late bolt patterns.

Name:	PICT0002.JPG
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	1684660

As we can see, using the four inner holes it drops right on the early carb bolt pattern manifold.

Name:	PICT0004.JPG
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	1684661

jack vines
                        PackardV8

Comment

That Packard manifold (pictured) does not have the same base bolt pattern that the early Offenhauser has.
                          Yes, it does have the narrow AFB pattern, but that pattern is way longer than the early AFB or Rochester that I put pic's of earlier.
                          The early pattern is a square one. You can see the difference on the Offy's that I put the plates on.
                          See the countersunk Allen bolts? The other (outer holes) are the later, narrow AFB pattern.

Here's a Packard intake with the same Carter WCFB/Rochester 4Jet bolt pattern as the early Studebaker 4-bbls.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29554[/ATTACH]

Here's an Edelbrock AFB with both early and late bolt patterns.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29555[/ATTACH]

As we can see, using the four inner holes it drops right on the early carb bolt pattern manifold.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29556[/ATTACH]

jack vines

Jeff

Comment

This should help clear things up a bit. The Stude Offy was designed for the Stromberg 4A Aeroquad used on 52-54 Buicks. Carter also builds a WCFB with the same pattern as the 4A. Here's some pics of my stock Offy with and without an adapter. You can see the big difference between the 4A pattern and the large WCFB/AFB/Holley patterns. I picked up the adapter from Vintage Speed before I found an off the shelf 4A pattern WCFB from a closing parts store.

Skinny___'59 Lark VIII Regal____'60 Lark Marshal___

Comment

That's why I asked about the existence of an "early" WCFB bolt pattern. For some reason, I don't have one in the collection. It took some research, but as Jeff says, there were two WCFB patterns. The rare '52-54 square bolt pattern was used on Buick and Packard straight-eights, Cadillac and Olds V8 as well as this Offenhauser Studebaker V8 intake.

The much more common '55-67 WCFB rectangular pattern, the same as the Rochester 4Jet, was used by Studebaker, Packard, Chevrolet, Pontiac, Buick, Chrysler, DeSoto, Dodge, and Diamond T.

(BTW, I've never even seen a Stromberg Aeroquad. By the time I was seeing Buicks, I guess the Aeroquads had all been replaced by WCFBs. and the later cars all had Rochesters.)

Next question, I thought I could remember having an Offenhauser intake manifold with the late bolt pattern. Did Offenhauser change the bolt pattern after '55 when all the OEMs changed?

If it wasn't an Offenhauser, what other Studebaker V8 aftermarket aluminum intakes had the later bolt pattern?

On the shelf or on the cars are a dozen Rochester 4Jets, six WCFBs, eight AFB/Edelbrocks, and they all have the same rectangular bolt pattern. When the AFB came along in the early '60s, they used a wider pattern, same as Holley, but retained the narrow pattern beside it. This was a benefit, because with a few modifications, the AFB could bolt on to 4-bbl manifolds back to '55 but the Holley required an adapter.

Thanks to Jeff for reminding me and we all of the two different WCFB bolt patterns.

jack vines
                              Last edited by PackardV8; 11-12-2013, 10:17 AM.
                              PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                              X