No announcement yet.

c-body 3 point seat belts (new photos)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: c-body 3 point seat belts (new photos)

New photos for a very old project...like 2004 is when I installed them, but have never posted these photos before. I have contributed to many threads over the years for what worked for me, but as time marches on even I forget exactly what I did. Fellow forum member woodysrods asked for some clarification of what I did for the fronts, so I scanned these photos (pre-digital days for me), and thought I would share them with all. Cheers, Junior

ps, I have about 2 billion (give or take) other photos of this project so if anyone wants more info or specific photos, just pm me.

Front seatbelts, b-pillar point is attached to 3/4" angle iron(about 10" long),nut welded to back of angle iron, then angle iron secured to pillar with four 1/8" allen-head cap screws into drilled and tapped holes. (really wish I had a photo of this bracket.)
    Retractor bolted above seat to hidden bracket that bolts to floor. Wasn't thrilled about putting retractor here, but didn't want my kids getting tangled up in the belts getting into the back seat. They never complained about the retractor getting in their space while sitting in the back seat.
    Stationary anchor point just under the front edge of the rear seat cushion.

All the backing plates and brackets with the exception of those brackets snuck up into the b pillars.
    Blue...brackets to mount the Cavalier/Sunfire retractors for the rear belts.
    Yellow...bracket to attach the rear seat belt buckles, goes under the driveshaft tunnel.
    Green...brackets that tie the front retractors to the floor.
    Red... brackets that go under the floor on either side of the body brace to form a 'sandwich' that the front seat belt stationary anchor, and front retractor bracket bolt to.
    Purple arrows...beats me, I have no recollection of what I did with these...one forgets after ten years I guess.

Purple...mounting points for the rear seat retractor brackets. The belts come up through the package shelf.
    Green...where the front retractor bolts to the bracket and welded nut behind the inner body panel.
    Red...where the front retractor brackets enter the inner body panel.
    Yellow...where the front retractor bracket bolts to the floor.

Body brace under the floor. Vertical bolt attaches to front seat belt stationary anchor point. Two horizontal bolts attach to duplicate bracket behind the body brace that the front retractor bracket bolts to.
    Last edited by junior; 11-11-2013, 12:08 PM.
    sigpic
    1954 C5 Hamilton car.

A sad but necessary upgrade to an older vehicle used as a daily driver; my late 1962 Lark I fitted 3 point seatbelts up front.
    --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Thanks Junior
      Very comprehensive post on your install. I am sure this will help anyone with a "Finished" car that would like to add seat belts to their C-Bodied car "Without Welding".
      But I still need you to confirm what vehicle you used as a donor for the front belts?
      I did use the same belts you used for the rear (Cavalier/Sunbird)....but is that what you used for the "fronts" also?
      It all may have come too late for me anyway, as the last time I went to the local Pick n Pull (which I don't go to often anymore), there was a guy and his wife or girlfriend that were cutting the belt out of every car???? They were hauling them out by the wheel barrow load, and had obviously made a bulk price deal with the management.
      There "was" a ton of Cavaliers in this yard....and I will go back for a look if this is what you used.
      Most people I have talked to have suggested SUV belts.
      I am soooo close to being past my welding window and painting Sandi's floors , that this is a last gasp.
      Maybe tomorrow?
      Thanks again!
      Brian
      Brian Woods
      woodysrods@shaw.ca
      1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Originally posted by woodysrods View Post

...But I still need you to confirm what vehicle you used as a donor for the front belts?...

...there was a guy and his wife or girlfriend that were cutting the belt out of every car???? They were hauling them out by the wheel barrow load, and had obviously made a bulk price deal with the management...
        I have posted a few times that the front belts were from Julianos, but looking back through my receipts I find I have forgotten yet again. I purchased the belts from Allan Rod and Custom here in Calgary, and I thought they sourced them from Julianos...the receipt only gives a part no. but no manufacturer no. so I googled it and came up with these from Autoloc SB3PRBK , from the photo they look identical to mine...good price too as I paid $160 back in 2004...once again proving there is a sucker born every minute.

Kinda weird that those folks were yanking every belt from the bone yard...wonder what for, what`s there to scavenge from belts? Maybe newer belts with the explosive charge to tighten them in an accident??

When I started doing this project I was thinking about using belts from a vehicle that I can plainly envision in my brain, but can't place the year or make. They were bolt in 3 pointers with one retractor. The retractor was facing the outboard side of the car, and covered in a one piece vinyl cover with about a 10 to 12" sheath. They would have been perfect for a c-body because the retractor could have fit between the inner and outer body walls, and the sheath would have fed the belt up between the rear seat cushion and side panel. I combed our junk yards and came up empty handed. Now that I think back they may have been in an old 81 Nissan king cab that I used to have, or a 77 280Z. The image I have is ugly butterscotch colored interior and those are the only two vehicles I've owned with that interior color. Good luck, happy belt hunting. Junior
        Last edited by junior; 11-11-2013, 12:10 PM.
        sigpic
        1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

I went to my local pick-n-pull two weeks ago and as per Junior's post, I got the rear seat belt assy. out of a Corsica. They were even in maroon, that I think will go well with the Rose Mist interior. For the front belt assy. I went to SeatBeltsPlus.com. They have a very nice selection of styles and colors at a reasonable price.
          Thanks for the posts Junior! They've been a lot of help.

Brian

Comment

Thanks Again Junior
            Guess it is off to the junk yard today for more recon.
            Wish me luck!
            Good Roads
            Brian
            Brian Woods
            woodysrods@shaw.ca
            1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Well done.

Comment

Originally posted by brian6373 View Post
                I went to my local pick-n-pull two weeks ago and as per Junior's post, I got the rear seat belt assy. out of a Corsica. They were even in maroon, that I think will go well with the Rose Mist interior. For the front belt assy. I went to SeatBeltsPlus.com. They have a very nice selection of styles and colors at a reasonable price.
                Thanks for the posts Junior! They've been a lot of help.

Brian
                great that things worked out well for you, that`s the sole purpose of these types of posts, just paying it forward for all the help I`ve received from others on this forum. cheers, Junior.
                sigpic
                1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

I'm curious about mounting placement for rear belts in a wagon. I'm not looking at the car right now, but I would assume you would mount the top retractor to the rear wheel wells, if you were to add rear shoulder belts to a wagon?

I'm not ready to do that in the slightest, but I do want to add three point belts to the front seats next year.

Comment

Working...
                  X