Fuel Gage pegs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Fuel Gage pegs

I've never been able to get my gas gage to work correctly... (2R6 truck, converted to 12 volts).

The truck came to me with a one wire sending unit, and I just installed a nos gas gage.
    I put an in-line voltage reducer to the gage. The gas gage starts to go up slowly and
    then jumps all the way past full. I've cleaned all the connections, including the ground on
    the sending unit. Any idea what is going on?

Thanks,

Joe Diggle

The gas gauge basically measures resistance, where a full tank is zero resistance on the circuit. My guess is that you've got a wiring short somewhere in the cable between the gauge and the sender. Trace back starting at the dash. Take the wire off the gauge and turn the switch on just long enough to see if it's still going to full. If so, then it's our gauge. If not, shut the car off, then start following the wire to the rear of the car. Obvious places to check first are where the harness connections are.

I'm having this same problem. I disconnected the wire at the sending unit and wrapped the end so I knew it wouldn't short, and sure enough, it still pegs to full. I haven't had time to trace the wire yet, but I expect that's the problem.
    '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Your in-line voltage reducer is what, exactly? A simple resistor won't work for gauges. You need a voltage regulator, which will have 12 volts going in, a ground reference that must be connected, and 6 volts coming out.
      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Originally posted by gordr View Post
        Your in-line voltage reducer is what, exactly? A simple resistor won't work for gauges. You need a voltage regulator, which will have 12 volts going in, a ground reference that must be connected, and 6 volts coming out.
        Like this...

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Runtz-...cers,2374.html

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

That's exactly it, Dick. The hole in the tiny PCB goes on the "ign" stud of the gauge, the wire that was formerly on that stud goes to the nutted stud on the PCB, and the black wire with the fork terminal goes to ground. The unit is in fact an IC regulator chip.
          Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

No., thats not what I have; mine is a short thin wire with what looks like a resistor on it. I'll get one of the
            runtz types and give it a try.

Thanks,

Joe Diggle

Comment

You cannot mix a 6 volt gauge with a 12 volt sender. Both components must be either 6 volt with a gauge reducer, or 12 volt.
              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
              4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
              5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Roy, I assume the gas gage (nos) is 6 volt; how can I determine the voltage of the sender? It is a
                one-wire with a ground at the tank. ??

thanks,

Joe Diggle

Comment

Some early 2R trucks originally had a 2 wire sending unit.
                  Frank van Doorn
                  Omaha, Ne.
                  1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                  1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                  1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Working...
                  X