Little tag I found

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little tag I found

I'm getting ready to recover the seats in my 62 Lark with NOS seat covers I got from Starlight Studebaker, and on the underside of the rear bottom, wrapped around the seat frame was a little metal tag about 1/2" wide by 3" long. It is embossed with a little upside peace sign followed by "C 13 4035 D". I checked the numbers and they don't match the cowl tag or door jamb. Just wondering what this is and why did they bother to emboss a metal tag and attach it? Anyone know? Thanks.

Well obviously it was just the frame supplier's Part Number and or date to track which parts are what, at THEIR Factory.

I have also seen those same type of embossed tin tags on some Stude. Seat Frames with a Studebaker Part Number, NOT found in Parts Catalogs, as they were special order -Call! Exactly like the Upholstery Material and Finished Seat Covers that Starlight Studebaker has.

The word I got from reliable sources is; there was a very important, Special Book listing those that only the Factory had, it was given to Newman & Altman and then to the New SASCO and I am not sure if Starlight ever got it.

Studebaker would have written the Line Number with a Marker Pen on the inside of the open front face of the seat cover if they needed to I.D. the Car they would go into.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 11-08-2013, 08:18 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

An addendum to Rich's posting. All components used in assembly had part numbers, but some items were never expected to be serviced later through the parts dept, except by special order. Most of these items were interior parts, like door panel covers, without the hard backing. They were not listed in the published parts books, but were cataloged separately. Newman & Altman bought many of these post-production items from Stude, and had a card file with these part numbers on it, and their location in their inventory. The keeper of this card file used to be Dave Spilski.

About 20 years ago, Dave kindly let me look through this card file. I was able to use it to assemble a complete set of interior soft parts for my 64 Daytona. I do not know whether this card file is at SI, or went with the soft parts that were sold to other vendors.

I believe your tag is one of those Stude part numbers, but with a missing digit. It probably described the whole seat frame/cover assembly.
      Skip Lackie

Comment

The following relates to FoMoCo and I would assume it also applies to Studebaker and etc.

Seats were bought from outside suppliers, came with a "Buck Tag" on the frame.

The number on the tag was used by assembly line workers to assure the correct seat was installed per the original build sheet.

Comment

Ever notice on '55 President Speedsters that there is usually a paper tag attached to the springs of either the left or right rear seat cushions marked LEATHER...along with a factory workers employee number?

Comment

Do you have the Production Order for your Lark? I can see that number being the 'Trim Code' on the sheet.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
              Do you have the Production Order for your Lark? I can see that number being the 'Trim Code' on the sheet.

Craig
              No, probably not the trim code.

Comment

Working...
              X