Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Brake Fluid

Hello, I am rebuilding the brakes and hill holder
    Last edited by joenj; 03-05-2014, 10:33 AM.

You will be fine with Dot 3. It might not hurt to run a pint or two through the lines just to be sure their isn't any foreign matter floating around...

Comment

Hi Joenj,

Not all stainless tubing is created equal. Or maybe it is.
      Some stuff that comes with the SS kits for Corvettes arrives with marginally formed flares, indicating to me even the 'professionals" have difficulties with that part of the process.
      The larger diameters were too stiff to bend easily for good fit up.

I'd do a few trial flares and a few bends, and if it gave me any trouble I'd pick up a roll of the "cunifer" stuff.
      $80 for a 50 foot coil at NAPA, or a bit more here.
      Cunifer is seamless, copper nickel alloy DOT approved brake line used for OEM and replacement brake lines, fuel lines, power steering and cooling lines. Corrosion proof and easy to install high pressure hydraulic tubing for the harshest environments.

Comment

Good luck with your project

I used to buy 3/8, 1/2, and 3/4 copper AC lines to make up line sets for central air conditioning systems. You would be surprised what came out of those lines when flushed out. ----------I am rebuilding my 4-door, 50 Champion 9G in the garage. It's about 80 % done. My best suggestion to you is to purchase the shop, body and chassis manuals for your car. Search Studebaker International Inc. in Greenfield IN. (317) 462 3124. I've also had good luck with "Howards Parts." I have all 3 manuals, if you need some help right away...PM me. OH and welcome to this site. I'm a newbie myself. But, you can get some really good advise from some. But, the best advice are the books!Click image for larger version

Name:	M1420001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	1684602 YEA, done and in....

Comment

I second the suggestion to get the manuals as posted above. Also, since you are going to do a complete overhaul of your brakes, study, research, and consider upgrading to DOT 5 silicone brake fluid. I did that on my '51 Land Cruiser several years ago and it solved much of the brake problems I had.

DOT 3 is fine for a frequently driven car. However, for a car that has long periods of sitting...the DOT 5 don't seem to load up with moisture and corrosion like DOT 3 filled systems. Welcome to our SDC world and good luck with your car.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

DOT 3/4/5.1 are ester based and absorb moisture so every time any moisture gets in, either through the system breathing or permeation through the rubber parts it stays and degrades the system. DOT 5 is silicone based and does not absorb moisture so there is no driving force for water to accumulate in the system.

DOT 5 also won't harm paint but it tends to leak from a system more easily than DOT 3.

Price is about 3X higher for DOT 5 but it's in all my "classic" cars.

Bob

Comment

DOT 3 and 5 CANNOT be mixed, so going to DOT 5 is a one-way decision. You should only convert to DOT 5 if you are replacing all rubber brake components (which you are already doing anyway).
              Skip Lackie

Comment

Welcome to the SDC and to the SDC Forum Joe!
                Since you are replacing everything, you are doing the right thing replacing all Wheel and Master Cylinders, this is the very BEST time to go with "Forever" DOT 5 Silicone Fluid, worth every bit of ANY cost.

What you need to know about "Rebuilding" the Hill Holder is covered pretty well in the CD version copies and the Book version reprints of the Studebaker Shop Manual, but do not miss the part about NEVER unscrewing the Large Copper Nut on one end (this note is included in the Repair Kit Instructions), there are very few seals to replace and many times flushing will do it.

You will want to be very careful to follow the parts layout Pictures in the Chassis Parts Catalog and the Shop Manual as the Assembly and adjustment of the automatic adjuster parts are critical to getting useable "Pedal" out of the system.

You are just beginning your Studebaker knowledge absorbing so keep learning, and enjoy your "New" Car!
                You have your own support system right here.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Did you figure out the self adjusters on the forward brake shoes?

It's an unusual looking system at first, but it works great.
                  RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                  4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                  5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Hi. I put silicone brake fluid in my 2R5 in 1990. This was after I replaced all brake lines, rebuilt the master cylinder and sent my wheel cylinders to White Post for rebuilding. Never had a problem after that. I did have to replace the brake light switch several times but now use one from Harley-Davidson (recommended by the Forum).

Comment

you might want to take a look at dot 5.1 brake fluid. it is synthetic, but not silicone based and can be mixed with dot 3 or 4, although it's always a good idea to flush the system. i can't highly ENOUGH recommend cunifer. has been used for years in europe, bends and flares beautifully. just my 2 cents, but have been building cars for 60+ years. just replaced all the lines on my avanti with it. great stuff!!
                      gfperry

Comment

Originally posted by arkusvt View Post
                        you might want to take a look at dot 5.1 brake fluid. it is synthetic, but not silicone based and can be mixed with dot 3 or 4, although it's always a good idea to flush the system. i can't highly ENOUGH recommend cunifer. has been used for years in europe, bends and flares beautifully. just my 2 cents, but have been building cars for 60+ years. just replaced all the lines on my avanti with it. great stuff!!
                        Just a little data to be sure there is no confusion about Dot 3/4/5.1 vs Dot 5. Dot 3/4/5.1 are essentially the same chemistry with Dot 5 being totally different.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                        X