Goldenrod Garage 1957 Packard Clipper wagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goldenrod Garage 1957 Packard Clipper wagon

On the way home from Maine last week I stopped in Freeport at the Goldenrod Garage. Unfortunately the Clipper wagon that was there has been sold to someone in the midwest. He has a crapload of other cars there! He has over 300 I would say, anywhere from rough but restorable to sweet origins. Much of them are 50s and 60s American. He had several Studebakers. I counted 3 GT Hawks, a '63 Wagonaire, a '58-59 Hawk, and a '63 Avanti R3 four speed. All in all worth stopping by and looking around.
    Chip
    '63 Cruiser
    '57 Packard wagon
    '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
    '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

He finally sold that Clipper wagon eh?....I looked at that car there 5-6 years ago! At the time it had a later 289 under the hood, but He had the original engine from it, supercharger and all, inside one of the buildings strapped to a pallet.

Comment

Wait a MINUTE...a "Real" '64 R3 stuffed into a '63 Avanti? You don't see THAT everyday! How many Million does he want for it?
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I'm assuming it's a '63, it has round headlights. It certainly could be a '64. Wasn't an R3 available in '63?
        Chip
        '63 Cruiser
        '57 Packard wagon
        '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Originally posted by raoul5788 View Post
          I'm assuming it's a '63, it has round headlights. It certainly could be a '64. Wasn't an R3 available in '63?

No, the R3 was only sold on a few late 64's.
          JDP Maryland

Comment

Good to know, I had no idea. It must have been a transplant then. I'll see if I can get the numbers from the car from the owner.
            Chip
            '63 Cruiser
            '57 Packard wagon
            '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Here's a Clipper sedan that may be still available from GG other than the wagon: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...wagon-for-sale

Craig

Comment

Sounds like a neat place to go to with a camera for sure.

Comment

It's really quite a place.....three or four 'long' buildings with cars parked nose to tail, side by side, in each of the buildings. Some of the vehicles He owns, but many are on consignment. I believe that I saw the 'round light' Avanti being discussed here. (if it's Avanti White) That car has been there quite a while also.

Comment

Hi

A friend from Connecticut refers to this dealer as "Goldenrust Garage". The few times I've seen his cars offered at Carlisle and Hershey, seems appropriate.

Steve

Comment

[QUOTE=56H-Y6;795521]Hi

A friend from Connecticut refers to this dealer as "Goldenrust Garage". The few times I've seen his cars offered at Carlisle and Hershey, seems appropriate.

That really depends on the vehicle and where it came from......and he doesn't try to conceal anything. Still, a thorough inspection is always a good idea!

Comment

He does have some rusty ones no doubt, but there are many that are in very nice shape.
                        Chip
                        '63 Cruiser
                        '57 Packard wagon
                        '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

The '57 Clipper wagon that was sold to someone in the midwest will be expensive to restore....I say that because the interior, as I remember it, was in rough shape.....and that alone will be 'big bucks' to make right.
                          The original engine on the pallet will no doubt need a complete overhaul. The body had some rust....and a few pieces of exterior trim were missing. Still, a worthwhile project for the right person!

Comment

Looking at the pictures of it, since I never saw it in person, I'd say it was similar to mine before I started working on it, probably a little worse than mine. I have somewhere around 22-23k in mine. Surprisingly, it's worth at least that much I'd say. It's not often you restore a vehicle and can get back what you put into it.
                            Chip
                            '63 Cruiser
                            '57 Packard wagon
                            '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Working...
                            X