Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: stomberg vs weber

Hi everyone
    I have an oppertunity to put a weber 38 carb on my car.
    Can anyone tell me whether they are familiar with this conversion and whether i will need an adapter plate or will it fit as is.Thanks guys

Depends...
    What are you putting it on?
    6 cyl? 8 cyl?

IIRC, this is a progressive secondary carb, so some intake modification would be needed to get it to work on a V8.
    I built a 90 degree adapter plate once to put one on an early V8 intake, so it would feed both sides of the intake.
    I'll look around for some pic's when I get home.

For a six cylinder application, all you would need is an adapter (like shown below)
    Jeff

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

it is an 8 cyl
      what modification would be needed? I have a 63 lark v8 for which the carb will be used
      or will it be only the intake that needs change? at the moment it is a single stomberg ww 2 barrel on the car

Comment

The Weber 38 is a split throttle shaft carb (primary/secondary...like half of a 4bbl, split down the middle).
        If you just bolted it to a Stude V8 intake manifold, you'd only be feeding half the cylinders.
        In order to run this carb, you would need to mill out the intake manifold center divider, so all of the cylinders would be fed equally by the primary throttle shaft.
        You could raise the carb up with an adapter and 'share' the primary throttle bore with the whole intake plenum, but you'd be making the air/fuel mixture gyrate around corners to get there, and that would hurt efficiency and performance.
        Not to mention it would aggravate a height issue..

Question... You going for mileage? Driveability? What's your goal?
        Just curious is all....
        Jeff

Originally posted by newguy21 View Post
        it is an 8 cyl
        what modification would be needed? I have a 63 lark v8 for which the carb will be used
        or will it be only the intake that needs change? at the moment it is a single stomberg ww 2 barrel on the car
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I'm only very familiar with the 32 RBS that came with my 6 cylinder but if I remember well what I read here about the Stromberg WW, it's a reliable carb and you can easily find parts for it, even a good one if yours is really to be junked. What troubles are you experiencing? It may be just bad settings or a clogged conduit. Personnaly, I'd stay stock as this kind of modification can mean a couple of issues without real enhancement. Don't forget that you'll have to adapt the settings of the Weber to your engine, unless it was meant to be used with a similar displacement.
          Just my 0.02 Rand.
          Nice day to all.
          sigpic

Comment

I assume you're talking about a DG series, two bbl downdraft. As others have already said, a simple installation on an inline six, but more difficult on a V8 if it's a 38DGV. If it's a 38DGAS, then both barrels open simultaneously, and it's fairly straightforward on a V8. These are nice carbs, however the 38 size is enough for a stock 6 cyl, but not large enough for even a bone stock V8. It would probably run great at part throttle (if the installation is well done), but is short on capacity WOT at high revs.
            Last edited by jnormanh; 11-07-2013, 07:34 AM.

Comment

I had one (Holly/Webber) on a '60 flathead 6 Lark for a while. It improved mileage, the car got 18.7 with the Carter, 23.9 with the Webber. mpg with it, but I was concerened about running lean. Also, it had a coolant driven choke, and it developed a leak in the choke (coolant) chamber. The secondary did not improve power, it seemed weak under all driving conditions.

Comment

Hi guys
                So overall i would say.... bad idea
                It will be done with aim on improving consumption of the car and getting ready for shows in time to come, not for performance at all.
                As i am restoring the car with my grandfather(who is a qualified mechanic from back in the day) and we talked about the conversion. But i don't want to make changes to the manifold since all parts on the car is still the original from the factory.
                I will then be getting another stomberg ww crab for the lark.
                Any idea on pricing on a new one or a decent crab kit????

Thanx for all the input guys

Comment

Just rebuilt my 6-123 stromberg.. Kits on eBay go from $25 to $60.
                  I bought mine from a local parts house for $37

Comment

Rebuilding a Stromberg WW is like rebuilding an anvil. Not many parts and not much you can do wrong. As long as the throttle bores aren't worn so loose it leaks air, there's literally nothing to it. Just follow the directions in the kit.

If the throttle shaft is worn loose in the carb body bores (your grandfather should be able to recognize this condition) get a better core carb. Again, they're thick on the ground and dirt cheap.

jack vines
                    PackardV8

Comment

Okay thanks for the advice guys i will be looking into this soon and let you know how it went.
                      Thanx for the advice guys i really appreciate it alot

Comment

Working...
                      X