Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gettin packed for winter... (And I met the local SDC :D )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gettin packed for winter... (And I met the local SDC :D )

So my Commander has been parked, and gettin ready for winter. Gas tank is full, and the fuel line has fuel stabilizer in it, and the battery has been disconnected.
    Up next is a tarp.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	1465191_10202091074456112_749204335_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	1741045

And On Saturday, right before I packed the Studebaker, I drove it to meet with my local SDC for the first time.
    I met a lot of friendly people, and saw some Studes up close and personal. (This is my frist time seeing some that were not rusted out.)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	1459754_10202079538767727_216122829_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	1741046

I had a lot of fun, and I look foreword to seeing then again.

If I were you I would seriously consider purchasing a car cover rather than using a tarp this winter. Reason I say this is a tarp is not the same as a breathable car cover so moisture that collects under the tarp will have a hard time evaporating. I have seen vehicles that had their interiors ruined because of mold that formed for lack of circulation, because they were covered with a tarp or plastic sheet.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

What kind would you recommend? I have read on a number of them that after a while they will leak water and hold it in.

Comment

How about rodent bait?I keep bait in the car and on top of the engine.They can do some serious damage.A few mice got in my wifes car and played havoc with the wiring a few years back...
        Thanks,
        Tony

Comment

Originally posted by '66Commander View Post
          What kind would you recommend? I have read on a number of them that after a while they will leak water and hold it in.
          the best cover you can afford! California Car Cover has some good ones. i had one for the Avanti and it was great. i let it go with her when she was sold. i picked up a "5 layer" cover on ebay for the '51 and had a bit of moisture on her surface after i had to leave her on the driveway for a couple of days (and some rain) while i was working on another vehicle in the garage. you may be ok with that since you'll be under a carport.

a tarp may also scratch the paint with any wind/or taking it off. since you have concrete for the driveway in the carport, you may want to drive the '66 onto the tarp since any moisture/rain/snow may seep up thru the concrete and end up on the underbody as rust.

just my $0.02
          Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Of all the car covers I have purchased from California car cover for my four Studebakers the most recent one I bought was a 'Superweave." It is by far the best. the others were "stormweave" and "Noah" which will let some moisture through during a rain event,but it will evaporate. Absolutely nothing gets through this superweave, not even dust. The water just rolls off like little ball bearings, simply amazing. It is also much thinner than the other covers as it is a completely different material. Sort of pricy though, if memory serves it cost me close to $300.00. I have been using car covers for over twenty years and have never experienced any damage to any of our cars from them.
            Originally posted by '66Commander View Post
            Frank van Doorn
            Omaha, Ne.
            1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

Originally posted by tony58 View Post
              How about rodent bait?I keep bait in the car and on top of the engine.They can do some serious damage.A few mice got in my wifes car and played havoc with the wiring a few years back...
              Thanks,
              Tony
              I didn't think about bait. We haven't had any rodent problems in my neighborhood. Least, that we have seen haha.
              But that is a good safety measure. I think I will. Thank you.

Corvanti, 41frank:
              Thank you. I will look into covers. We'l see what I can set into my budget.
              As far as scratches from a tarp, I plan on getting it repainted within the next year or two. So it isn't a major concern. Least for now.
              But I will see what I can do.
              As far as driving onto a tarp, I haven't thought of that. That is a good idea.

Comment

Well...I'd probably put the rat bait somewhere other than in the car. Why attract them to come into the car? I know that they claim the bait is made to make the rodents thirsty and they will die seeking water. But, to decrease the chance of a mouse dying in my car, I'd rather strategically locate the bait outside of the car.
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

If you type "car covers" in the little box at the right top of this page all sorts of car cover information will be shown.
                  Frank van Doorn
                  Omaha, Ne.
                  1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

Ethan, what ever you do for storage issues - keep the Commander far from the CROPS .
                    Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

I would not put bait near the car. I put poison in the garage and still found some up in the engine compartment. They ate it and and then got up in the warm area. I have found dryer sheets in the car and around the garage work well. Another thing I do, and please hide the kids here,....I piss outside the garage and and spray WD-40 and whatever I have near the door. Since doing that I never even spring a mouse trap in the garage. They sell animal urine like wolf and tiger too. I ain't selling mine...but you can make it with a simple beer and pizza combination!

Comment

That's freakin hilarious right there!
                        sigpic
                        1961 Flamingo Studebaker Hawk

Comment

Gee, what a great idea for a new product. Stude-P guaranteed to keep pesky critters away from your car.

Laughs.
                          John Clements
                          Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Just applied my final treatment after a long weekend...no mice!

Comment

Hahahahahahaha.
                              This is one of the funniest things I've read! Best way to start a Monday.
                              Hmm Stude-P I have made it before, however I don't think my landlord would appreciate the product...

And it definitely will be staying away from the Crops.

Comment

Working...
                              X