small Studebaker world

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• small Studebaker world

I live in a town of about 2200 people. I've not lived here all that long. in the last 6 months I've met 4 other people that own Studebakers. today I went into the local auto parts store and there above the counter are pictures of a 53 Studebaker at the drag strip. 2001 nationals somewhere. so I ask about them pictures and the owner of the store says that was him and his old partner. they raced Studebakers for 20 some years, So anyway, I now know a Stude guy in my small town, that owns an auto parts store. Sweet! he ordered me some valve cover gaskets and I picked up some heater hose too. we had a nice little chat about 289's and his 53 driver that he bought when he was 15. I'm really pleased with my decision to join the world of Studebakers. which I'd done it years ago.
    Not studes right now

Sounds like you're off to a good start Scott,maybe you'll get Studebaker parts at big discount
    Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Discount or not! Scott has found himself a kindred spirit who knows the shortest distance to the required part is through an interested party.
      In which state is Cambridge? I may wish to move there.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I don't forsee any discounts but Ted seems like he knows a little more about these cars than I do and that's a good thing. Cambridge is in Henry county Illinois. I like living here but I don't know if I can encourage others to move here, the economy here is terrible and the state government is worse but I do like living here, the people are super nice.
        Not studes right now

Comment

I've been working on that for that past couple of years, so I can get out of the Chicago area. I have relatives in the Cass and Schuyler County area, so I've been trying to get employment out there. One thing for those of you not familiar with the rest of Illinois after you leave Chicago and the collar counties; there are regions of IL where the cities are rather small, and the open space is rather large. That region of the state is very rural, with mile after mile of a whole lotta empty in between. Many of the towns are just simple agricultural communities with some very simple businesses in the downtown area. Yes, there are places where civilization and the big box stores do not reach, and if you can find a way to drive or adapt to that lifestyle, particularly if you get snowed in and may be isolated for a few days as public services may not be available, more power to you. Personally, save for having the basics(store, gas station, bank, pharmacy), I like that region of the state that way. These here are places where the city folk will have to pull themselves up by their own bootstraps and do things themselves, because they may not do it for you!

Anyway, around where my relatives lived, at the time the plant closed, Studebakers were still in regular use. There wasn't much fanfare when it closed, just a blurb on the news, and that was it. The Avant's and Jet Thrust cars of the world may not be as available down there, but the bread and butter cars and trucks were all over the place. They were also just that, regular automobiles used to get from Point A to Point B, and on occasion, Point's C and D, because somebody wanted to settle a good ol' boy grudge match in the gravel pits!
          1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
          1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
          1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
          1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

I grew up in Chicago..but kept moving north.. Crystal Lake..then Woodstock.. I liked the open areas..rural towns and people.. I moved a long time ago..but when i go back I see the changes..the suburbs seem to never end now..
            McHenry County was all farms..haven't seen it in years..

Comment

Earlier this year I was seeking employment in Aledo, Varna, and Sparland. Aledo was literally IT before you crossed the Mississippi River, but the area and lifestyle out there is like night and day compared to Chicago! Believe me, in just about everything from lifestyle to politics, what goes for Chicago and the collar counties(throw in Springfield too), does not go for the rest of the state!
              1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBrownR2 View Post
                Earlier this year I was seeking employment in Aledo, Varna, and Sparland. Aledo was literally IT before you crossed the Mississippi River, but the area and lifestyle out there is like night and day compared to Chicago! Believe me, in just about everything from lifestyle to politics, what goes for Chicago and the collar counties(throw in Springfield too), does not go for the rest of the state!
                Try moving from the LA area to Noblesville Indiana! Talk about culture shock! But, it's a great community, great schools, and friendly!

BTW, Isn't Illinois where the ex Governors make the license plates? <G>

Jim
                "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                their Memorials!

Comment

I also live in a small town and have discovered 3 other Studebaker owners in town. One of them has a beautiful '37 Dictator. There is actually a 4th owner but his Studebakers are part of a larger collection of cars. He has his own museum and restoration shop here in town. I did not even know it was here until the NW Chapter of the SDC had a tour of his facilities last June.
                  Many folks own and love the cars but never join the SDC. I think if they all did the membership would nearly double overnight. I think we should work on getting these owners into the club. I know I will. There are some beautiful cars out there that we seldom see.
                  Small towns are just full of surprises.
                  Ed Sallia
                  Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Parts,
                    My wife and I did a run with the North Shore AACA on Sunday, driving from Wauconda up to Brighton WI. With the tour, the organizers somehow managed to get 85 miles in the trip distance, doing a lot of driving in and around McHenry and Woodstock, then up and around Silver Lake and Wonder Lake and also through the Stephen Bong Recreational Area in WI. Both Woodstock and McHenry are vastly changed today with the urban sprawl. I'm retiring in about 4 years and want to get out of "crook" County IL back to my downstate roots around the Peoria area or possibly out of state as several of my children are now living outside of IL.
                    sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Try moving from the LA area to Noblesville Indiana! Talk about culture shock! But, it's a great community, great schools, and friendly!

BTW, Isn't Illinois where the ex Governors make the license plates? <G>

Jim

In recent history, I think I count maybe three...four, except one of them died in office, with his shoeboxes full of money, which is a funny story. Anyway, you can now toss in an alderman in there too, he reported in last week. I know what what we're working on, because I think on our 10th one, the General Assembly gets a trip to Hawaii, and the incarceration is free!

Comment

I have a 55 Chevy Handyman, 32 Ford 3 Window hot rod, a 66 F100 and now the 48 Studie.
                        When I first got the Handyman, I went to one of the NAPA stores in "Mid-Town" Memphis. To my surprise and delight, the counterman was a car guy. I had seen his customized 51 Ford in the parking lot, but had figured it was a customer's car.
                        Since most counter-persons these days are just doing a job looking up parts on a computer. Not to be confused with a car guy.
                        This guy knew his parts. And helped me get some parts I needed for the Handyman. Plus he was a great guy to talk to.
                        I went back several times over the next few months. Then one day I stopped and he had been promoted to manager and moved to another store across town.
                        I finally find a great guy that can find anything I need and they put him behind a desk!
                        Well, I'm sure he appreciated the raise he got.
                        Sorry, I kinda went off topic...

Comment

I am really glad you found another Studebaker guy. This has been a neat story to watch unfold. I have spent my whole life in central Illinois, 47 years, and I can honestly say I have no desire to live anywhere else. Yes the weather stinks, the politics stink, and the economy stinks, but for me it's all about the people and the slower pace of life. I work in agriculture, and my new job with Pioneer hybrids has me working a sales territory about 30 minutes north of my home. One thing that is for certain is that even though I am working in a new area where I know relatively few people they are still very welcoming. It also allowed me to help a forum member find this car. Glad it's working out for you!
                          1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Working...
                          X