Looking for a '50's hood ornament pic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a '50's hood ornament pic

My '53 Studebird hood ornament was lost by inept restoration guy. It looked like a large bird and probably was a Stude. It had 4 mounting holes in a 7''x 10" cross shape. Can anyone identify the year or give me a visual website to search?

Tim in Yuma, AZ
    Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
    jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Well, they did have a sorta "Rocket-age Biplane" hood ornament as an option for '53. I think I can safely speak for most of us in asking why you'd want such clutter on the hood of an otherwise sleek car?
    Calling it a "bird" isn't exactly how I'd term it. It's a chromed projectile with a gold-colored, squashed oval of a wing about a 1/4th of the way back from the front of it.
    Frankly, if my '53 had come with one, I'd be filling in the holes that it used to fit up! In 53, all Studes had either a tri-star or a Vee on the hood as well as an S or an 8 as standard ornamentation. Anything else was optional (and detrimental IMHO).

IF it was truly a "bird", it wasn't/isn't Stude issue. Not for that era anyways. And there were LOTS of aftermarket hood ornaments to be had in the 50s!

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Well, they did have a sorta "Rocket-age Biplane" hood ornament as an option for '53. I think I can safely speak for most of us in asking why you'd want such clutter on the hood of an otherwise sleek car?
      Calling it a "bird" isn't exactly how I'd term it. It's a chromed projectile with a gold-colored, squashed oval of a wing about a 1/4th of the way back from the front of it.
      Frankly, if my '53 had come with one, I'd be filling in the holes that it used to fit up! In 53, all Studes had either a tri-star or a Vee on the hood as well as an S or an 8 as standard ornamentation. Anything else was optional (and detrimental IMHO).

IF it was truly a "bird", it wasn't/isn't Stude issue. Not for that era anyways. And there were LOTS of aftermarket hood ornaments to be had in the 50s!

Miscreant adrift in
      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Mr. Biggs, you have already urged me to chuck the hood ornament in the past. As I mentioned several times on the forum I am preserving custom work done by my father-in-law and his brother about 50 years ago. That includes a hood ornament. I purchased the one you described from Chuck Collins but saw one on a Scott Cawley car yesterday on My Classic Car on Speed Channel that may be the one that was lost. I will get a closeup look at it this weekend in Phoenix gathering of local chapter of SDC. In the meantime I asked for some help which you gave in your somewhat opinionated reply. Thanks for that.

Comment

Mr. Biggs, you have already urged me to chuck the hood ornament in the past. As I mentioned several times on the forum I am preserving custom work done by my father-in-law and his brother about 50 years ago. That includes a hood ornament. I purchased the one you described from Chuck Collins but saw one on a Scott Cawley car yesterday on My Classic Car on Speed Channel that may be the one that was lost. I will get a closeup look at it this weekend in Phoenix gathering of local chapter of SDC. In the meantime I asked for some help which you gave in your somewhat opinionated reply. Thanks for that.

Comment

I apologise for answering.[B)]

Miscreant adrift in
            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe

Comment

I apologise for answering.[B)]

Miscreant adrift in
              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe

Comment

I'm glad Bob beat me to the comment about hood ornaments on a 53, I had enough turns in the barrel.

JDP/Maryland
                64 R2 GT cost to date $55046.57
                64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
                63 Lark 2 door
                58 Scotsman
                52 & 53 Starliner
                51 Commander
                39 Coupe express
                39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

I'm glad Bob beat me to the comment about hood ornaments on a 53, I had enough turns in the barrel.

JDP/Maryland
                  64 R2 GT cost to date $55046.57
                  64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
                  63 Lark 2 door
                  58 Scotsman
                  52 & 53 Starliner
                  51 Commander
                  39 Coupe express
                  39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

I agree about the hood ornaments on '53-'54 C/K models, but I also understand what you are trying to accomplish.

The optional 1953 hood ornament (Strato-Styled AC-2344) is all chrome, not chrome and gold as MrBiggs/Bob mentioned. The chrome and gold ornament was available in 1954.

From your description, it sounds like your '53 had a hood ornament from an aftermarket source or, more likely, from another car. From the description and holes I would guess Oldsmobile.

Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I agree about the hood ornaments on '53-'54 C/K models, but I also understand what you are trying to accomplish.

The optional 1953 hood ornament (Strato-Styled AC-2344) is all chrome, not chrome and gold as MrBiggs/Bob mentioned. The chrome and gold ornament was available in 1954.

From your description, it sounds like your '53 had a hood ornament from an aftermarket source or, more likely, from another car. From the description and holes I would guess Oldsmobile.

Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I've got the 53-54 body parts catalog in my lap as I type this, Gary. There's a number of optional hood ornaments listed, but no AC-2304.
                        BTW, the "wing" portions of the ornament I described are listed seperately and there's a gold one and a chrome one. The gold one's listed for '54 but the chrome one's listed for BOTH years.

Miscreant adrift in
                        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe

Comment

I've got the 53-54 body parts catalog in my lap as I type this, Gary. There's a number of optional hood ornaments listed, but no AC-2304.
                          BTW, the "wing" portions of the ornament I described are listed seperately and there's a gold one and a chrome one. The gold one's listed for '54 but the chrome one's listed for BOTH years.

Miscreant adrift in
                          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                          1960 Larkvertible V8
                          1958 Provincial wagon
                          1953 Commander coupe

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Miscreant adrift in
                            the BerStuda Triangle

MrBiggs/Bob - As you know, the later parts books often list what may be used on earlier models, even though those items were not originally available on those earlier models.

The AC number was my typo. The number for 1953 should be; AC-2344. This is from the "Dealer's Confidential Price List February 10, 1953."

From the "1953 Motoring Accessories for Your Studebaker", only one "Strato-Styled hood ornament" is listed and it is "In highly polished chromium."

Yes, the all chrome hood ornament was available in both 1953 and 1954. The chrome and gold was only available in 1954.

Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Miscreant adrift in
                              the BerStuda Triangle

MrBiggs/Bob - As you know, the later parts books often list what may be used on earlier models, even though those items were not originally available on those earlier models.

The AC number was my typo. The number for 1953 should be; AC-2344. This is from the "Dealer's Confidential Price List February 10, 1953."

From the "1953 Motoring Accessories for Your Studebaker", only one "Strato-Styled hood ornament" is listed and it is "In highly polished chromium."

Yes, the all chrome hood ornament was available in both 1953 and 1954. The chrome and gold was only available in 1954.

Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                              X