Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: Air Conditioning

Hello,

I'm not only new to SDC but also new to Studebaker restorations. I'm helping in the restoration of a 1963 Lark Cruiser. The customer would like me to retrofit an original A/C system (provided I can find one that is restorable). I've found lots of help through Ray-Lin Restorations but am also looking for any tips or tricks from anyone that has already done one. The Lark has a 259 V8. I found a system in a Lark with a 6 cylinder but not sure if the pulleys and fan/clutch would be the same.

Any advice/help is appreciated.

Todd
    Last edited by toddbowie; 11-03-2013, 08:04 AM.

Welcome!
    I see that you are next door to South Bend. SI there should be a big help to you on parts and there are lots of active members in that area that may be able to help you with the A/C.
    To straighten you out and get you off on the right start on a couple of things - A 1963 Cruiser is not a Lark. It is similar to the 1963 Lark series, but technically not a Lark. The 1963 Cruiser came standard with a 289 cid V8, not the 259 cid V8. The engine number (stmped left, front) will tell exactly what you have.
    As far as an A/C system, one from either a 289 or a 259 V8 will be the same. All of the engine related parts from a six cylinder will be different.
    You are in the land of rusty cars. There should be a hulk with the proper A/C system in your area. It is always best to remove the parts yourself. This way you can be sure to get all of the needed parts and to see how they go.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Welcome Todd! I'm also working on a 63 Cruiser and installing a factory air system. My # 1 recommendation is to go to Studebaker International and order the parts/service manual for 59-64 larks on CD. This will give you a very complete idea what parts you need and where they go, as the parts manual has very good exploded view drawings. The nice part of having the manuals on CD is you can print off pictures and take them to where you are working. They're only $20.00 and well worth it. You can also Google pictures of the set-up installed in cars like the one you are working on to get some insight into what it should look like completed.

Good Luck!

Brian

Comment

Speaking of A/C....there's an interesting turquoise '63 Avanti on e-bay right now that was used by Stude engineering to develop an A/C system for the R2 models.....Real nice one-family car!

Comment

Read the text again, this was not an engineering car, the prior owner put a/c it in during 1966, candidly I am not thrilled with this install, cars should be kept as original as possible, I like totally original cars.
          Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
          Speaking of A/C....there's an interesting turquoise '63 Avanti on e-bay right now that was used by Stude engineering to develop an A/C system for the R2 models.....Real nice one-family car!

Comment

Originally posted by Hawklover View Post
            Read the text again, this was not an engineering car, the prior owner put a/c it in during 1966, candidly I am not thrilled with this install, cars should be kept as original as possible, I like totally original cars.
            I believe that you may want to re-read that ebay ad again......as indicated by the side letter that this Avanti's owner received from Studebaker, it indeed WAS an engineering vehicle before being sold off by the South Bend Studebaker dealer!

Comment

I did an R2 Avanti exactly like the way the argued one on Ebay. It was not a good way to engineer an AC system. Too heavy, and too many brackets, too much modification of the power steering pump, and requires the battery in the trunk. In 63 this would be the only way you could do it. The newer system is the way to go if wanting an AC on an R2.
              Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948
              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I agree Bez, but the point here really is that this engineering vehicle demonstrates the way that Studebaker probably would have done it HAD they offered A/C on their Avanti R2 models. This car is a piece of history!

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                  I agree Bez, but the point here really is that this engineering vehicle demonstrates the way that Studebaker probably would have done it HAD they offered A/C on their Avanti R2 models. This car is a piece of history!
                  No I believe Studebaker would NOT have done it that way. They already DID offer AC on supercharged cars in 58 on the Golden Hawk! They would more than likely engineer it so the battery would remain in the engine compartment. This isn't a factory authorized modification. Show me the proof. The service letter from MacIntosh doesn't say this car left the factory with AC. The Production order states that it did not. The seller states that it was added in 66.
                  Bez Auto Alchemy
                  573-318-8948
                  http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Bez, I understand what You mean about the battery not being under the hood...I haven't a clue how they would have gotten around that, and I too doubt Studebaker would have considered a trunk installation....this alone may be the true reason why they never offered A/C in R2 Avantis. Having said that, this ebay Avanti certainly proves Studebaker was indeed at least thinking about it....and as this style compressor was the type that was in use back then, the 'factory R2 with air Avanti' install that never happened would have INDEED look similar to what We see in this ad.

Comment

To follow up on what Gary said: all of the A/C parts (evaporator, condensor, etc) will be the same on a 6 and a V8. So if you have found an A/C system from a 6-cylinder car, you're about 75% of the way there. The pulleys, compressor mount, etc will still need to be found. You may be able to find them separately from one of the companies who makes aftermarket A/C units for Studes. You may also need a bigger radiator.
                      Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                        To follow up on what Gary said: all of the A/C parts (evaporator, condensor, etc) will be the same on a 6 and a V8. So if you have found an A/C system from a 6-cylinder car, you're about 75% of the way there. The pulleys, compressor mount, etc will still need to be found. You may be able to find them separately from one of the companies who makes aftermarket A/C units for Studes. You may also need a bigger radiator.
                        And perhaps a fan shroud for really hot weather operation.

Comment

Thanks, I think the pulleys are one of the hardest parts to find.

Comment

The dual pulleys off the crank are simply two identical pulleys with a spacer.

If you can get by South Bend, you may well want to check with Tom Karkiewicz, 62503 Mulberry Rd, (574) 287-5834.
                            He has dismantled many, many examples and vends parts from his bus at major events. At Reedsville in October he had a couple of evap units with him. I suspect many of the remaining parts are still at his place in South Bend.

Brad Johnson,
                            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                            X