Metal oil filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metal oil filter

My 50 Champion 169.6 motor has a metal oil filter. I purchased a new paper one from S.I., but I'm curious about the metal one. How long were they in existence, what's inside. Any thoughts?

So I guess you are talking about a drop-in CARTRIDGE for a Fram Type F3 or F4 Oil Filter?
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I like the metal ones better, they are still out there. I believe they still have a paper insides with the metal outside case
      Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
      1961 Hawk 4-speed
      1967 Avanti
      1961 Lark 2 door
      1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

I'm not sure what you mean by a metal filter. There are paper filters which have a perforated metal skin. Nothing wrong with them, in fact I like then since they seem to do a batter job of holding the filter paper in place. I think Purolator still makes them.

Years ago there were all metal filters made of sintered bronze, no paper at all. They fell out of favor, I don't know why, and Haven't seen one in years.

Comment

I have the one that is all metal on the outside, sides, top and bottom. I'll try to photo it today. Has a 180 degree wire handle on top. I do not want to tear it apart, but would like to know what is inside?

Comment

Originally posted by bosshoss61 View Post
            I have the one that is all metal on the outside, sides, top and bottom. I'll try to photo it today. Has a 180 degree wire handle on top. I do not want to tear it apart, but would like to know what is inside?
            If you're talking about something like this, it's pleated paper inside.

Replacements might look like this

Nothiing wrong with that. The filter media is the same.

Comment

old oil filter

Click image for larger version

Name:	M1570001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	1684404Click image for larger version

Name:	M1570002.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	1684405I can finally post pictures. I haven't been able to for a long time. Here is my filter, complete with handle.

Comment

Studebaker (39-64) basically used two insert type filters, the smaller one is the fram c3 or wix 51010 and the larger one like you have is the fram c4 or wix 51006. Studebaker also used several spin ons 58-64. I believe these are still available from a good FLAPS.

I like the metal case in case the paper fatigues, in the case it should stay there, without the metal case it will go in the engine. This may be more mental than fact on my part.
                Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                1961 Hawk 4-speed
                1967 Avanti
                1961 Lark 2 door
                1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

A WIX 51006 like yours is available at most auto parts stores...

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                  X