engine I.D.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine I.D.

Just got the complete power steering out of a 1962 GT. The guy that has this car wonder what engine was in his junker. Numbers are ( VA 39573 ) on the list I've got it say V followed by a letter and (3) numbers was a Lark type 259. The rest of the numbers are production series? Thanks

If it's a 1964 259, it should have V + another letter for the month + three digits representing the year and day. Your number has too many digits. The only other possibility is that it's older than the 64 model year. In that case, it would just have a V and 6 digits. Does it have an oil filter mounted on the lower block? BTW, 62 Hawks built for sale in the US came with the 289, not the 259.
    Skip Lackie

Comment

Hmmm...the engine in my car has only the "V" followed by a six-digit number (572900). No letter after the "V". Is this engine a 259 from a 1963 Lark, or not? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by GinettaG12P View Post
        Hmmm...the engine in my car has only the "V" followed by a six-digit number (572900). No letter after the "V". Is this engine a 259 from a 1963 Lark, or not? Thanks.
        63 Lark 259. See:
        Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by bob1944 View Post
          Just got the complete power steering out of a 1962 GT. The guy that has this car wonder what engine was in his junker. Numbers are ( VA 39573 ) on the list I've got it say V followed by a letter and (3) numbers was a Lark type 259. The rest of the numbers are production series? Thanks
          If this really was a VA, it would have to be followed by a 4 instead of a 3. I'm going to suggest that the number is actually V439573, making it a 1959 engine. Check the block casting number at the right front corner, just across from the engine serial. It should be 535601.
          Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Working...
          X