CASO Door/Window Seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CASO Door/Window Seals

When I first considered buying my '64 Daytona I was somewhat shocked at the cost of the rubber seals for the car body. A complete kit was half of what I paid for the car! For those that have the money I'm glad they are available, but they are outside the range of practicality for me. As a frequent visitor to the self serve wrecking yards I have searched for reasonable door/window seal options. Unfortunately most modern cars have rather large, distinctive seals. It took some searching, but the first generation Mazda MPV ('89-'99) has seals that are adaptable. These MPV's are also identifiable by their rear wheel drive configuration.

The MPV front door seal has a molded right angle to match the door corner on the Daytona. Likewise the seating edge also sits into the right angle of the Studebaker window frame. This seating right angle was very hard to find on modern cars. Using 3M "yellow death" weatherstriping glue I simply glued the seal into place cutting it where the original Studebaker seal terminated. If you prefer the very specific way Studebaker sealed at the front edge of the door, these seals should blend in if cut appropriately.

Click image for larger version

Name:	downsized_1030131235.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	1741007Click image for larger version

Name:	downsized_1030131238a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	1741010Click image for larger version

Name:	downsized_1030131236.jpg
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	1741008Click image for larger version

Name:	downsized_1030131237.jpg
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	1741009

There is enough seal from the MPV you could completely run it around the perimeter of the door. I do not know if this would improve sealing, and frankly, I wasn't looking to re-invent the proverbial wheel. I simply put the excess seal into the channel below the sill plate. It takes a bit more effort to close the door as the MPV seal is slightly larger than the Studebaker seal. But, the seal is very pliable and conforms.

I also used the window seal from the MPV. It fit nicely in the channel without glue. The Studebaker glass seems a bit thicker than the MPV glass and it took a few days for the rubber to conform. I'd also recommend gluing a small piece of thin, flat rubber (say..., 1" long) under the seal where window frame meets the car body. The way the window rises having it stick out slightly enhances the glass to track in the rubber when going upward.

As stated above you need the 1st generation ('89-'99) Mazda MPV seals. Most all these cars had electric windows so they need to be down a few inches before you can remove the window seal. The door seal fits unglued into a channel around the window area and easily slips out. The rest of the seal uses plastic pins that must be carefully removed by stretching out of the holes in the rubber. You will also have to remove the pin for the door stop if you intend to remove the rubber without cutting it. Make sure you get driver/passenger sides for the angles to match. You will need to revese sides to do the rears.

While this rubber is pushing 20 years old it is generally in very good shape. Look for it drying out at the right angle and where it curves downward towards the front. Also look for tears. The good news is I paid $3 each for the window seals and $5 each for the door seals. While I have only completed the front door so far, it will be under $35 to reseal all four doors and windows.

Tom
    Last edited by wittsend; 10-31-2013, 11:18 AM.
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Tom, I love your ingenuity. Its always nice to have inexpensive alternatives for these pesky problem areas. Thanks
    sals54

Comment

Tom, is your '64 "Daytona" a Sedan or Hardtop?
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

It's a 4 door sedan.
        '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

That looks great! Good job. I am always amazed by what you adapt and are able to make work. Thank you for sharing.

Mark

Comment

By the way the seal looks in the second picture I'd say it probably cut down on wind noise too! Looks real good. I'm gonna be on the lookout for some on my 66 Daytona.
            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
            64 Zip Van
            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

This to me represents what a CASO should be. Inventive, using something costing far less than the "exact original replacement". McGivering something to work, often by neccessity. Not being a cheapskate for the sake of being cheap. Frugal maybe, cheapskate no.

Comment

Thank you all for the nice comments. Frugality is a hobby of mine (at times it has been a necessity). I could be a multimillionaire and I'd still troll Pick A Part yards. I get great enjoyment out of "adaptation."

The one area I still need to deal with is the narrower window channels such as that adjacent to the wing window. If I can't find a salvage yard replacement I'll consider gluing in some thin felt. Since this post allows for more pictures I've included the seal below the door sill. This is just the excess from the MPV seal. It will have to be sectioned for a full seal front to back. Put the splice where the doors don't press against the seal. Note that the door drains will indent the rubber over time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	x seal lbelow door sill.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	1684391

Comment

Thanks for sharing! My weatherstripping is in awful shape. If you go through a carwash, you just about get as wet as the car! Seeing as my car is NOT a show car nor all-original, I can't see myself buying the authentic stuff. This will be a great substitute!
                  '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Hmm Wonder if I could use this on a C coupe.

Comment

Working...
                    X