Auto-tune (wonderbar) radio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Auto-tune (wonderbar) radio

What years did Studebaker offer these ? And in what body ?
    1961 Hawk ...4-Speed;4bc;Twin Traction

Ken Byrd
    Lewisville,NC

I believe the SP Detroit Packards had the Signal Seeking "Wonder Bar" Radio, and most '58 SB Packards seem to have them. I think they were available on all '58's and still available for '59 and '60 all Models, but you could probably count the number sold on two hands!

I do not think '61 and on models could have one, the '59-'64 Body Parts Catalog shows only '59-'60.

However, I don't have '59, '60 and '61 Accessory Booklets in front of me to double check this.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 10-29-2013, 12:16 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rich is correct. The Studebaker wonder bar radios were made by Delco in 1958 and were available in all models. Studebaker owners, being CASOs even back then, bought precious few of them. They will fit in most models up to 62, when the size of the face plate changed.

58 radios have a long capacitor sticking out of one side, and that may affect how they fit in certain models, especially ones with the glove box directly to the right of the radio.

They are the same radios as 1958 Corvette radios (except for the bezel and push buttons) so the secondary market price will reflect that, if the seller knows what he has.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        I believe the SP Detroit Packards had the Signal Seeking "Wonder Bar" Radio, and most '58 SB Packards seem to have them. I think they were available on all '58's and still available for '59 and '60 all Models, but you could probably count the number sold on two hands!

I do not think '61 and on models could have one, the '59-'64 Body Parts Catalog shows only '59-'60.

However, I don't have '59, '60 and '61 Accessory Booklets in front of me to double check this.
        The '60 Hawk I had a few years ago had one. It was pretty well decked out overall so that might explain springing for the Wonder Bar. The '57 Packard wagon I sold a few years ago also had the Wonder Bar.
        Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

The 57 Packard wonder bar radios were much larger than the 58 and up versions. I believe they were similar to the 56 Packard versions.
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
            The 57 Packard wonder bar radios were much larger than the 58 and up versions. I believe they were similar to the 56 Packard versions.
            Yes, and similar to the 55-56 Chevy Wonderbar radios - a two piece radio with the power supply and the power amp on the separate speaker chassis.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Working...
            X