Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Stromberg 6-123 2bbl

Two questions..
    I am wondering if anyone out there has set the carb float with out that float gauge thats listed both in my kit and my Studebaker shop manual.. I know with the gauge, the distance from the top of the float to the gauge is 3/16"

I dont have such gauge, nor does my parts store.. is there another approach?

Second question.. While doing a general inspection under the hood, 2 of the 4 manifold intake clamps have bad stress cracks.. Its only been off one time in the 6+ years of ownership. The shop manual I believe said 26 to 30 foot pounds on those bolts.. I followed the install procedure, bringing each bolt up to torque at bit at a time evenly.. Please chime in.

D~

You measure the float at it's Center from a straight edge across the top of the Float Bowl to the Float. All of the Repair Kits I have ever bought or sold include the Float Gauge, are you not using all new Parts and Gaskets?

Someone before you has over-torqued the Intake Bolts, they will never properly Torque until you Replace the (4) 535617P "Clamps" as they are called.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
      You measure the float at it's Center from a straight edge across the top of the Float Bowl to the Float. All of the Repair Kits I have ever bought or sold include the Float Gauge, are you not using all new Parts and Gaskets?

Someone before you has over-torqued the Intake Bolts, they will never properly Torque until you Replace the (4) 535617P "Clamps" as they are called.
      Hi StudeRich,

My carb kit came with "L" shaped thin plastic measuring device..Not whats shown in the instructions, or what my factory manual shows.. Ok, I'll apply the 3/16" and see what it looks like..

Thats what I figured on the clamps.. Heck.. I'll take the over torque blame.. ordering new ones.. can I order from you?

Comment

....and tho I've not performed this small advised adjustment: give a little more float (gas) in the bowl to account for ethanol content today ....

Comment

Working...
        X