Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eh? Peripatetic Mr. Ed? And his Champ hauler...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eh? Peripatetic Mr. Ed? And his Champ hauler...

This is gonna' be one of those days I don't get much done, finding humorous things for the forum... 'Sposed to be working on the 2013 Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Race report for the January 2014 Turning Wheels, but keep getting distracted...

Anyway, I wonder just how many Studebaker salesmen and other dealership personnel had the slightest idea what peripatetic meant when they opened their September 1963 Studebaker News and saw this item:

I had no idea what it meant, either, so here is the definition from my trusty Random House American College Dictionary, copyright 1967:

'Doesn't seem all that fitting, quite frankly...quite a stretch! BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

I am still trying to pronounce the word. It just won't come out of mouth. Thanks for the pic. Love watching Mr. Ed.

Mark

Comment

When I was young I worked at CBS on the "My Three Sons" show and remember using that gate at times.
      Brings back memories.
      Ed Sallia
      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Ha!
        Let's see the newspaper journalist's of today even come close!
        Jeff
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
          When I was young I worked at CBS on the "My Three Sons" show and remember using that gate at times.Brings back memories.
          Good, then tell me why that huge Stop Sign appears to be between the Truck and Trailer? Are you going to tell me that monster pops up out of the Ground?

Optical Delusion?
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The Champ & Ed are exiting the studio. The "stop" sign is on the other lane for those entering. These details can be missed if we aren't wearing our 3-D glasses.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Very interesting that the white wall tires were still optional on the 8E trucks right toward the end - unless Mr. Ed decided he could not be pulled by a truck sporting only black walls.

Also like the California style mirrors - going to see more than the "slice of bread" size originals...

Comment

The other 'funny' thing about that Mr. Ed photo is that most of the times in the show when Wilbur took Ed around, he pulled the horse and trailer in a Lark wagon, not a Champ.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                  Good, then tell me why that huge Stop Sign appears to be between the Truck and Trailer? Are you going to tell me that monster pops up out of the Ground?

Optical Delusion?
                  Rockne10 has it right. That particular spot was normally an Exit Only. With so much activity around the sound stages it was often easier to pull on through and go out this side exit rather than try and turn around. You never know, you might hit a clown.
                  Ed Sallia
                  Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

That photo also appears in the book "Mister Ed and Me". Part publicity, part daily routine I imagine. The driver apparently is Mr. Ed's trainer, Lester Hilton, and they are headed back to Hilton's small ranch somewhere in the Valley.
                    In the caption, Ed claims to be driving while Les is asleep in the trailer.
                    Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Imagine if they would have used that word in the show's theme song lyrics.

A horse is a horse, of course of course, and no one can talk to a horse of course, that is of course, unless the horse, Is the Peripatetic Mister Ed

Comment

I love it. You should be a song writer!
                        Ed Sallia
                        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Working...
                        X