X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unbridled Optimism, Bathtub Packard Division

Consider this interesting entry in today's Hemmings Blog:

A nice car, to be sure, but with two long stretches:

1. For all the untouched originality and alleged patina, have a look at that undercarriage! How would you have a car of that color, mileage, and age with such a spotless underbody?

2. The seller suggests it will do 65-70 MPH "all day long." I don't see an overdrive on that transmission, so I might suggest that it would do 65-70 MPH all day long for one day! And while you're out doing 65-70 mph for one day, you might stop and get a set of bearings and an oil pan gasket set somewhere for the following day's work. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

And if the brake lines had to be replaced, that undercarriage does look a little too clean...

Wonder why only a dash shot - seats? door panels?

Comment

Pretty neat car, though - rare and useful body style. I'd rather have this than one of the long-wheelbase sedans.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I wouldn't confuse the Packard straight eight with a Chevy 6 Bob.....the Packard will do as claimed.
        Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948
        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
          I wouldn't confuse the Packard straight eight with a Chevy 6 Bob.....the Packard will do as claimed.
          I tend to agree. Those big Packard straight 8s have a nice long stroke and run smooth as silk. I've seen them rolling along on the highway at 70 mph and you couldn't even hear them except for the tire noise.
          Ed Sallia
          Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

The under body WAS repainted. Notice how it changes color when it approaches the engine bay. Then in the picture of the engine bay, it's cream again! Looks like they got a little paint on the speedometer and emergency brake cables.

Comment

Not a big fan of the bathtub Packards, but they did have a hell of a good engine. I'm guessing, but this might have a 287 or the 327 CI version?

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                Not a big fan of the bathtub Packards, but they did have a hell of a good engine. I'm guessing, but this might have a 287 or the 327 CI version?
                Probably the 288 (not 287), Ed. Those wagons were built on the smaller chassis for some reason. BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                  Probably the 288 (not 287), Ed. Those wagons were built on the smaller chassis for some reason. BP

Yep!....that's it...288 CI. Thanks

Comment

I kind of like the bath tub Packards. Wouldn't mind having one but if I buy anymore cars without getting rid of something the wife will have me hanging by my you know whats.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                      I don't see an overdrive on that transmission, so I might suggest that it would do 65-70 MPH all day long for one day! And while you're out doing 65-70 mph for one day, you might stop and get a set of bearings and an oil pan gasket set somewhere for the following day's work. BP
                      Bob, to be fair, I pushed my '60 Lark VI to modern highway speeds as a daily driver for a few years before it chucked its cookies. That's before I knew those little yellow convertibles would be desirable.
                      Brad Johnson,
                      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                      X