'62 Stude Gran Turismo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '62 Stude Gran Turismo

I am looking at a 62' Gran Turismo, it is a confusing car, it is sworn to be a 289 with a supercharger from the factory, not supposed to be possible, the supercharger appears to be original era has been removed as in small town couldn't be repaired, the cars speedometer is 160 MPH and according to the vin 62V-3424I should be a 259?, engine no. is P90358, so, out of complete confusion I have ordered the PO from Studebaker museum. Help or guidance would be appreciated the speedo indicates 42K and the car has had repaint and new interior so hard to tell on orig mileage, the speedo would be hard to imagine this would have been swapped from a 120 to 160 where car came from. The car also has the TT option so hard to imagine it had a 259 originally/??

Welcome to te SDC Forum!
    A 62V Serial Number simply indicates a V8 1962 model Studebaker, not the size of that V8. The engine with the P Engine Number is a 289. NO 1962 Studebakers came from the factory with a supercharged engine (except possibly a couple of police cars). The speedometer has been switched and that also means that the odometer is not correct for that car. Only an out of the USA Hawk would possibly have a 259 in 1962. ALL USA 1962 Hawks came with a 289 V8.

EDIT: Engine Number P90358 is a 1962 model 289 V8 for a Hawk or Lark.
    Last edited by studegary; 10-21-2013, 10:37 AM.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

DRD, all is not lost! Although your car did not come with the supercharger or a 160 mph speedometer, if it has these things then sometime in the past a prior owner has upgraded it. Is your supercharger mounted on top in front of the carburetor? Does your carburetor have a metal tag riveted on the front next to the air horn portion?

Hawks were made in 57 & 58 with superchargers. They had a 2 bbl carb enclosed in an air box. Does that sound like your setup? If you could post some pictures of the engine we could be more helpful. Either way you have one of the best looking cars of the era (IMHO) & welcome to the forum!
      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
      64 Zip Van
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Or it has parts form an R2 Super Hawk on it. That might explain the 160 MPH Speedo.

Comment

Thanks, I questioned the legitimacy of the SuperCharger from the beginning it is a 2-owner car with consistent registration, I have informed the current owner I am ordering the P.O. to verify the claim, and the current owner didn't bat an eye said that will show me he's telling the truth?? He purchased car from original owner, when he had taken ill was a teenager when the former owner purchased the car new, and knows it was special ordered, with the SC and TT package? So, in a few weeks I will have the answer from Studebaker Museum archives, but I am a skeptic till proven otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by DRD View Post
            Thanks, I questioned the legitimacy of the SuperCharger from the beginning it is a 2-owner car with consistent registration, I have informed the current owner I am ordering the P.O. to verify the claim, and the current owner didn't bat an eye said that will show me he's telling the truth?? He purchased car from original owner, when he had taken ill was a teenager when the former owner purchased the car new, and knows it was special ordered, with the SC and TT package? So, in a few weeks I will have the answer from Studebaker Museum archives, but I am a skeptic till proven otherwise.
            Your skepticism is well-founded, Chris, but you'll have a good time showing the PO to the current owner / would-be seller.

Be prepared to see the fanciest dancing since a western bully was shooting up a dance floor while an innocent victim tries to avoid the bullets.

Be sure to wear hip waders, too; it'll get deep. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

The car is a conundrum it wasn't originally registered until mid 1963? but the body tag definitely states 62V, I thought maybe was mis-titled. the super-charger has been removed from car, I am making trip back to see it in couple of weeks. Cursory inspection involved looking at dash area behind instrument cluster and nothing looked disturbed on the retainers for the gauges speedo etc. no marks on nuts etc. will keep the forum posted. will try to get picks of the supercharger didn't take any just noted the SC consistent date tag for car.

Comment

No the Supercharger mounts off to the passenger side front of the engine, if this helps any, I can't wait to get the PO!!

Comment

If the regular heads haven't been changed to the lower compression R2/truck heads, it could be a disappointment to tune and drive with the supercharger unless you're using 100 octane avgas...

Comment

With a Side Mount Supercharger, it must have some '63-'64 Avanti or R3 Super Hawk parts on it to mount it there.

I am guessing if it has always been this way, it MAY have been bought this way from a Dealer after Mods. ?????????? If so the Production Order would not show it.

What about the Transmission? Did someone put in a HD Oil Cooled Flight-O-Matic column shift, a late '63 Power Shift (Floor Shift) or a T-10 4 Speed to handle the Supercharged Engine?
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by 63 R2 Hawk View Post
                      If the regular heads haven't been changed to the lower compression R2/truck heads, it could be a disappointment to tune and drive with the supercharger unless you're using 100 octane avgas...
                      Wouldn't a standard '62 GT have come with 8.5 compression? No truck heads needed there.
                      You might be thinking of a supercharger added to a '63-64 R1. Yes, with 10.25 CR, a supercharger would burn it down in short order, avgas or not.

jack vines
                      PackardV8

Comment

You are exactly right, I was thinking R1 heads... senior moment, one of many....

Comment

Not sure of the SuperCharger mounting actually it's not on the vehicle currently, the intake where the aftermarket K&N style Spectre air filter is attached is turned off to passenger side but, I got some pics of a 63' SuperHawk engine and the airbox looks the same small and metal, the car has a 4 on the floor with a white knob no shift pattern round knob, and the axle ratio is close to 4 to 1? so, could be 4:10 gears.

Comment

The vehicle also has the TT insignia on the gas door. The 2-bbl carb is not what you would find on 57-58 I checked those before I went to look at the car as I was thinking same thing, Ihad never seen an actual R2 setup until i got a pic earlier today, the air intake to the carb looks very similar to that setup, but the oil filter placement is not correct?it sits up on top of the engine block driver side?
                            Last edited by DRD; 10-21-2013, 03:44 PM.

Comment

An oil filter that sits on the oil fill tube shows it to be an early 62. Around april of 62 the fill tube was done away with & a full flow oil filter was installed on the right rear of the block. These engines are also identified by the new casting number 1554641 vs. the 6 digit casting number used prior.

The supercharger mount on the passengers side would most likely be from an Avanti. 4 speed cars generally had a 3:73 rear axle ratio unless the car was ordered with a lower gearset. The production order will show that unless it too was changed in the past. Regardless it sounds like a great car.
                              59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                              60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                              61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                              62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                              62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                              62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                              63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                              63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                              64 Zip Van
                              66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                              66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Working...
                              X