Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda? Maybe Studebak should have kept the '1963' body style till the end instead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woulda, coulda, shoulda? Maybe Studebak should have kept the '1963' body style till the end instead?

After reading the 'Hemmings' thread here about that 1963 Regal in Ohio and after finding that 1963 Cruiser in the Phx area for Brian who lost his first one to a crash; I suspect Studebaker may have been better off continuing the '1963' body through the end instead of spending the $$ to develop the 1964-66 style----------especially in light of the Wagonaire keeping said styling aft of the front clip.

Any thoughts?
    --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Personally I think the '64 style is one of the best looking Studebakers ever made , especially the HTs
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
      Personally I think the '64 style is one of the best looking Studebakers ever made , especially the HTs
      Agreed!...The 'stubby' look disappeared on the '64's.

Comment

Just read the Classic Car convertible feature and the 64 Daytona had it's own little feature. They did well in 64 with the little $ they had to work with.
        Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

In a two-door or wagon, I like the '64's better. In a four-door, I like the '63 better. I also LOVE the '63 Cruiser's broadcloth interior trim--it's Cadillac-level! In '64 you could still get broadcloth, but the seat design was the same as the regular Cruiser (not a bad thing, but not like the '63 broadcloth).

I've owned '63 and '64 Daytona Hardtops, and a '66 Daytona Sports Sedan. I love the '64's styling, but the '63 hardtops have their charms too.
          Last edited by Bill Pressler; 10-18-2013, 08:45 AM.
          Bill Pressler
          Kent, OH
          (formerly Greenville, PA)
          Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
          Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
          1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
          1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
          All are in Australia now

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
            In a two-door or wagon, I like the '64's better. In a four-door, I like the '63 better. I also LOVE the '63 Cruiser's broadcloth interior trim--it's Cadillac-level! In '64 you could still get broadcloth, but the seat design was the same as the regular Cruiser (not a bad thing, but not like the '63 broadcloth).

I've owned '63 and '64 Daytona Hardtops, and a '66 Daytona Sports Sedan. I love the '64's styling, but the '63 hardtops have their charms too.
            I have to agree there.

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

I've read that Studebaker spent more money to make a '63 from a '62, than a '64 from a '63. They definitely got more 'bang for the buck' with the '64, in terms of it looking different from the previous year's model.
              Bill Pressler
              Kent, OH
              (formerly Greenville, PA)
              Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
              Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
              1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
              1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
              All are in Australia now

Comment

I've read that Studebaker spent more money to make a '63 from a '62, than a '64 from a '63. They definitely got more 'bang for the buck' with the '64, in terms of it looking different from the previous year's model.
                Yes Bill, I agree. The changes from '62 to '63 were pretty significant. Larks got a new cowl with a non wrap-around windsheild, the elimination of the exposed "B" piller on four doors, new dash design, two piece sedan doors (bolted on uppers) and of course an all new wagon.and so on. The trouble is that they LOOKED like the '62s. The '64s were reallly changed a lot less, but looked different, with their new front clip.
                I think Stude got a lot of "look" for the '64 dollar, and the '64s are nice looking cars. I think the '63s are more "unique" looking, compared to the '64s, as the newer ones are crisper, more GMish. The '63s still look like a Lark, and tend to stand out a little more.

Just my two cents, of course!
                Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
                \'60 Lark Convertible

Comment

Originally posted by 2R2 View Post
                  Yes Bill, I agree. The changes from '62 to '63 were pretty significant. Larks got a new cowl with a non wrap-around windsheild, the elimination of the exposed "B" piller on four doors, new dash design, two piece sedan doors (bolted on uppers) and of course an all new wagon.and so on. The trouble is that they LOOKED like the '62s. The '64s were reallly changed a lot less, but looked different, with their new front clip.
                  I think Stude got a lot of "look" for the '64 dollar, and the '64s are nice looking cars. I think the '63s are more "unique" looking, compared to the '64s, as the newer ones are crisper, more GMish. The '63s still look like a Lark, and tend to stand out a little more.

Just my two cents, of course!
                  What I bolded I agree with 100%. The 1963 model also says 'Lark' to me whereas the 1964-66 models have a more generic early 1960's Ford/GM look to them..........which is no bad thing either.

Comment

In a two-door or wagon, I like the '64's better. In a four-door, I like the '63 better.
                    They could have reintroduced the W-body with the 108" wheelbase and that '63 front clip, and made a very economy car out of it which would have taken it back the original roots of the Lark in 1959. And at the same time, going with the 1964 redesign emphasis which was on length, and in keeping with what the rest of the compacts were doing.

Craig

Comment

If they had kept the 1963 body through the end, "the end" would have been sooner! BP
                      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Evolution, no?

Comment

I like the 64 2 door hard top ,think they may have goofed when they went to sedans in 65,66. The 59 thru 63 are also nice ,but I prefer the 2 dr. hardtop their also. I think the 53 year was one of the better looking Studebakers.
                          Randy Wilkin
                          1946 M5 Streetrod
                          Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

For my money, they should have just re-introduced the '53 C/Ks, with the R-1, R-2, and R-3 engines. Best ever look for Studebakers. But really, I'm not opinionated, now am I?
                            Corley

Comment

Originally posted by Corley View Post
                              For my money, they should have just re-introduced the '53 C/Ks, with the R-1, R-2, and R-3 engines. Best ever look for Studebakers. But really, I'm not opinionated, now am I?
                              ...with a mini bullet nose to replace the "upside down" Mercedes star on the early 53's.
                              Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Working...
                              X