Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'35 Dictator Tires: Bias Ply or Radials?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: '35 Dictator Tires: Bias Ply or Radials?

I am about to acquire a '35 Dictator 4 dr. which will need new tires. After looking through the forum archives, I know this topic has been discussed before extensively, but I can only find posts regarding postwar cars. What about prewar stock rims? Will they take a radial? I've read that riveted wheels can be problematic for radial tires. Is this true? Are the '35 wheels riveted? From the research I've done, it seems that 215/70R16 is the replacement size for 600X16, which is, I believe the correct tire size for the '35 Dictator. The Commander took a 650X16 and the President a 7.00X15, if my research is correct.

I know the pros and cons of radial replacement regarding profile, speedometer calibration issues, performance, etc. (I have radials on my '50 Land Cruiser), so I'm not asking for advice on that--just size and whether radials will work. I'll likely go blackwall since www are so expensive and this particular car is the base Dictator sedan (one tail light), so it probably came from the factory with blackwalls anyway.

Thanks for your input!

My opinion is that if you want to run radials, you should run wheels designed for radials.
    Your wheel size and width on a '35 was designed for tube type bias ply tires.
    I'd call Corky at Coker and get some bias tires to fit, and happily motor down the highway of life.
    Just an opinion

Some interesting reading here...

Or just Google your desired tire size and add the world 'radial'.... You'll be amazed.
    Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 10-17-2013, 06:47 AM.
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

If you plan to drive it much its worth the trouble to buy new wheels and good radial tires....IMHO.
      Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Two things here,
        I assume people believe the rims will not hold up to the radial tires because they are stiffer? Roads are MUCH better now and I doubt your car will see the abuse it received when new.
        I put radials on my Jeepster and merely had the rims sandblasted and powder coated. When I got them back I took a brush on product for sealing wiring connections and covered the rivet so if it ever did flex this product would stay flexible and seal it. Have not had any problems since.
        A friend runs radials on his 12 cylinder Auburn with tubes in them and has had no problems in several thousand miles.

Comment

^ +1 above posts.

IMO, radial tires on an otherwise stock 30s car are just wrong...unless you don't mind people asking if it's a kit car or transplanted to a late model frame.
          If you're doing a resto-mod or custom deal, then they look just fine.
          Andy
          62 GT

Comment

Working...
          X