Yes, you CAN still buy Willard batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, you CAN still buy Willard batteries

I just learned Willard Batteries is still in operation and is based in South Africa. It is the same company that Studebaker used, but the company was purchased in the 1980s and relocated to South Africa. They even have a website: http://www.willard.co.za/ .

You can't look up anything older than 2000, but I wonder if any of their batteries would fit well in a Studebaker. I think there are international standard sizes.

Getting one to the USA could be a big challenge.
    Last edited by Scott; 10-16-2013, 08:54 PM.
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Reproduction Willard batteries are available from Antique Auto Batteries...

I've used their batteries on one Stude restoration and one Chevy. They are a great "finishing touch" under the hood if everything else is bone stock.
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Those are pretty neat, Dick. I wonder why the real Willard Battery company is letting them use their name. Maybe they get a kick-back. Interesting. Maybe the trademark doesn't extend to this country anymore.
      "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
        Reproduction Willard batteries are available from Antique Auto Batteries...

I've used their batteries on one Stude restoration and one Chevy. They are a great "finishing touch" under the hood if everything else is bone stock.
        I think they were represented at Hershey. They told me that the battery would last 7 years and would cost about 300 dlrs
        sigpic
        55 President Deluxe
        64 Commander
        66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
          Those are pretty neat, Dick. I wonder why the real Willard Battery company is letting them use their name. Maybe they get a kick-back. Interesting. Maybe the trademark doesn't extend to this country anymore.
          They also sell Autolite, Delco, Mopar, Lucas etc. reproduction batteries so there must be a way around the trademark thing.
          Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

A few years ago we would buy black box batteries from Exide. They gave us several labels we could use that included Willard and Prestolite. Most were sold with our private label.

Denny L

Comment

Denny,
              Are you still in the black market battery business?

Comment

Working...
              X