• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 1963 JT Production Order Mystery

OK, fellow members of the SSS (Super Studebaker Sleuth) team:

Anybody got an idea what is denoted by

Code 99: 9141 CORAELISON ENG MAINTENAN

on the upper Production Order of this duo?

I was checking some 1963 JT Production Orders today, making notes for a fellow I am helping with an article on 1963 JT-Powered Studebakers. I pulled this up to send him an example of what we have available in Studebaker-land.

While I often thought this late-production, full-package, Green Mist R1/4-speed Wagonaire was cool, I had never noticed that Code 99 item before, and am not certain to what it refers.

Opinions welcome; facts encouraged. BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

My first thought was that Coraelison was someones name.

Very interesting wagon!

Chris.

Comment

The upper production car was delivered to Fred Case Motor Co.

Comment

Engine maintenance? Odd. Maybe something was wrong with the engine designated for that car, and it had to go back to the engine shop? Honestly, I have no idea, but that's an interesting line for sure!

I tried my friend Google on CORAELISON, and I got a hit for a Cora Elison in the Fort Wayne IN area. Kind of looks like she was living in jail in 1940, but who knows what got her there or where she might have been by the 60's. Here's a Link to what I found.
        '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

The car was ordered by Cora Elison who worked in Engineering Maintenance?
          Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Good guesses so far, all.

I do not know the answer, so it is not as if this is a quiz or anything.

(I hadn't even thought of someone's name, for example.) BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by ST2DE5 View Post
              The upper production car was delivered to Fred Case Motor Co.
              Cool beans, Carl. Has the car ever surfaced down there? BP

Comment

The PO for my 63 Wagonaire has a line 99 9136 H & R Leasing

Then under that SOLD RUSH
                Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

The more I think about it, the more I wonder if the Cora Elison I found worked at Studebaker. Perhaps in her (I assume it's a she) time as an inmate she learned a skilled trade, and being in that part of the world, it would only make sense to learn automotive skills. Further assuming could lead you to believe that if this vehicle's R1 needed some sort of maintenance after it was sent to be installed, they may do something to attach the name of the person who did the work, especially if the person is a reformed criminal who they probably keep on a short leash to begin with.

Of course, that would assume that Studebaker would even hire an ex con female engineer in the first place. If so, they were certainly among the most forward thinking companies in the nation at the time.
                  '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
                    The car was ordered by Cora Elison who worked in Engineering Maintenance?
                    Ditto, that was my exact thought before I red yours.
                    From reading a lot of these it seems pretty common to have these misspelled or incomplete words on the Production orders, I am sure they were done quickly and if still readable were just sent on.

The "CE" is missing from Maintenance on #1 and on #2 Sold is "OLD".
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The car was shipped to Ok, because the dealer in KANSAS that ordered it probably had no connections. Is this the Cessna executive Wagonaire? I think it is.......

Comment

I've only seen 1 1963 Wagonaire in Tulsa, it was green, but it didn't have an R1, best i remember it was a 6 cyl. Guy tried to get me to buy it, it was kinda rough and i didn't want it.
                        101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Originally posted by (S) View Post
                          The car was shipped to Ok, because the dealer in KANSAS that ordered it probably had no connections. Is this the Cessna executive Wagonaire? I think it is.......
                          The "Cessna" Wagonaire is a well-equipped '64. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...mate-Wagonaire!

Craig

Comment

Or perhaps Cora Elison, after being released got a job in Engineering Maintenance...sweeping, emptying trash, cleaning bathrooms? Seems more likely if this car was for her and she worked at Studebaker. That still does not answer why it was shipped to Tulsa though.
                            Ron Dame
                            '63 Champ

Comment

I don't see a woman named Cora ordering this car. Is it possible that the name is Cornelison, a persons last name? There are people with that last name in Tulsa.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X