Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much horsepower ya think this'll make?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much horsepower ya think this'll make?

According to the seller, this is a "custom made Tunnbel Ram made for the Stuebaker V8". The opening bid is over $750 [:0]

Looks like it should flow real well [}]

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
    '63 F2/Lark Standard
    http://studeblogger.blogspot.com - my blog
    www.studebakersandiego.com - San Diego Chapter website

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

$750? For that price, it had better come with a lifetime supply of square air.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

$750? For that price, it had better come with a lifetime supply of square air.

Comment

As if a Stude engine wasn't heavy enough...
        I'm trying to figure out what the crossover bar is on the front....
        Jeff[8D]
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

As if a Stude engine wasn't heavy enough...
          I'm trying to figure out what the crossover bar is on the front....
          Jeff[8D]

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

Years ago, when Dick Datson's magazine under whatever name he was calling at the time was the only Studebaker performance venue(no forum back then), several guys built some one-off tunnel rams for their Stude drag cars. Some tops where even built with wooden tops for easy modification. A few actually performed very well in the higher rpm range. I suspect that this is the result of some of that experimentation. Hood clearance was not an issue for these cars and some of them ran with no hoods. Of course, they all hoped to get an aluminum design eventually.
            $750.00 does sound like a lot for a conversation piece for your garage.

1952 Champion Starlight since October,1971. 1962 Daytona
            since May, 2007.Searcy,Arkansas
            "In the heart of Arkansas."
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

Years ago, when Dick Datson's magazine under whatever name he was calling at the time was the only Studebaker performance venue(no forum back then), several guys built some one-off tunnel rams for their Stude drag cars. Some tops where even built with wooden tops for easy modification. A few actually performed very well in the higher rpm range. I suspect that this is the result of some of that experimentation. Hood clearance was not an issue for these cars and some of them ran with no hoods. Of course, they all hoped to get an aluminum design eventually.

1952 Champion Starlight since October,1971. 1962 Daytona
              since May, 2007.Searcy,Arkansas
              "In the heart of Arkansas."
              Searcy, Arkansas
              1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
              1952 2R pickup

Comment

The original Ramchargers water hose tunnel ram comes to mind[}]

Must've been from this era...(neat movie link)
                Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

quote:Originally posted by Guido

By adding that monstrosity, it would provide the long awaited opportunity to hack up a perfectly good hood. I do no see anyone being able to mount that and a carb under the hood of any Studebaker car.

Jeff

Comment

The original Ramchargers water hose tunnel ram comes to mind[}]

Must've been from this era...(neat movie link)
                  Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

quote:Originally posted by Guido

By adding that monstrosity, it would provide the long awaited opportunity to hack up a perfectly good hood. I do no see anyone being able to mount that and a carb under the hood of any Studebaker car.

Jeff

Comment

That crossover is an equalizer found on all second-generation tunnbell rams. Most Stuebakers used them.

This design is proven to be far superior to the tunnel rams, which is why they regularly dominated the Studebakers on the NASCAR circuit.

Ford bought out Studebaker trying to compete with Stuebaker and installed the 289 engine from their Falcon line. This was not successful, which led to Studebaker's demise.

Stuebakers are still produced, I believe in Canada.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                    Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

That crossover is an equalizer found on all second-generation tunnbell rams. Most Stuebakers used them.

This design is proven to be far superior to the tunnel rams, which is why they regularly dominated the Studebakers on the NASCAR circuit.

Ford bought out Studebaker trying to compete with Stuebaker and installed the 289 engine from their Falcon line. This was not successful, which led to Studebaker's demise.

Stuebakers are still produced, I believe in Canada.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                      Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

By adding that monstrosity, it would provide the long awaited opportunity to hack up a perfectly good hood. I do not see anyone being able to mount that and a carb under the hood of any Studebaker car.

Comment

By adding that monstrosity, it would provide the long awaited opportunity to hack up a perfectly good hood. I do not see anyone being able to mount that and a carb under the hood of any Studebaker car.

Comment

Here (supposedly according to the lore) is one of those steel bases.
                            Here's the plenum box I built for it (not drilled so Tom Covington could choose which direction he wanted to mount his carbs.
                            Of interest is that tomorrow we are going to chart this manifold, and about a half dozen other style intake manifolds on Tom's new flow bench.
                            Ought to be an interesting learning curve....
                            More pic's at:

Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by 52-fan

Jeff

Comment

Here (supposedly according to the lore) is one of those steel bases.
                              Here's the plenum box I built for it (not drilled so Tom Covington could choose which direction he wanted to mount his carbs.
                              Of interest is that tomorrow we are going to chart this manifold, and about a half dozen other style intake manifolds on Tom's new flow bench.
                              Ought to be an interesting learning curve....
                              More pic's at:

Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by 52-fan

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                              X