No announcement yet.

New rims on old Champion wheel centers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: New rims on old Champion wheel centers?

Anyone done this? My 48 Champion has the 4 lug wheels and the rims are rusted out pretty badly.
    The tubes wouldn't last long in the shape they're in. Since they're a unique center design (similar to the so-called artillery wheels) I'd like to use them.
    I have seen hotrodders take the centers out of wheels, turn them around for a "reversed" wheel.
    Other places widen the rim for bigger tires. Why not use modern rims with my old centers?
    What junk yard rims might work with the old Champion centers.
    Or do I just need to go out with a tape measure and start measuring?
    Or is it not worth doing? Better to find some good originals?

There is a company in Oregon that can weld on wider rims to any steel wheel - there must be someone in the southeast that does that -you are near to the center of the universe for low budget racing.
    Just took off a set of 15 inch wheels from my 48 Champion with almost new tires, but unfortunately Seattle is on the opposite side of the universe from you.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	15 inch wheels, 195-60x 15 tires.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	1684169
    Trying to build a 48 Studebaker for the 21st century.
    See more of my projects at stilettoman.info

Comment

Sure...done it several times. But the one company here in SoCal that did it for me, is I believe closed....the brothers that owned the shop were getten on in age.
      This gives you the option of using a wider rim AND putting that rim/tire, exactly where you want it in the fenderwell...within the dimensions of the rim of course.

Look around, there shoud be someone close by.

Mike

Comment

Working...
      X